ADVERTISEMENT

Ready or not it's fall camp time

konaki

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2002
I've tried to read every bit of information I can gather about or 2022 football team and have come up with a lot of questions. Who will win the QB battle and if it's Thompson was there ever really a doubt in Frosts mind. Who will be the starting running back and will we need a good rotation we don't seem to have a back who can take most of the snaps every game. Who will the starters be on the OL and who will be the back ups? Who starts at the WR positions? we seem to be loaded with talent with the receiving group.

I have fewer question marks about our defense other than who the back ups will be especially on the DL. I have very few doubts about our special teams that group seems to be OK. I'm guessing and it's only a guess that our OL will be much better than last year because they have more experience and better coaching. If we have better OL play and decent DL play this year we will have a pretty good record. jmo

Its all going to come down to the OL this year. Thats it.
I agree but i would also add qb play to that. well also need solid production out of the wr and rb units hopefully we get a bell cow rb and reliable receivers. id also add tight end play. its going to come down to that, defense will also be key and of course special teams we will need to turn that around

I get that there's nothing else to do right now except speculate about what's going to happen this Fall. That's fine for entertainment purposes but pre-season predictions are notoriously inaccurate. New stars emerge and previous stars (say from Spring) disappear while injuries always play a major role and randomize the results.

Reactions: ssmill777
I get that there's nothing else to do right now except speculate about what's going to happen this Fall. That's fine for entertainment purposes but pre-season predictions are notoriously inaccurate. New stars emerge and previous stars (say from Spring) disappear while injuries always play a major role and randomize the results.
Well starting this coming Friday is our "Hope springs eternal" I'm not predicting our season at all just trying to get the discussion flowing to the most boring time of the year. At this time of the year we only have baseball and if you're not a baseball fan it's very boring. I'm very happy to see football, Hockey and in a few months basketball start.

I've tried to read every bit of information I can gather about or 2022 football team and have come up with a lot of questions. Who will win the QB battle and if it's Thompson was there ever really a doubt in Frosts mind. Who will be the starting running back and will we need a good rotation we don't seem to have a back who can take most of the snaps every game. Who will the starters be on the OL and who will be the back ups? Who starts at the WR positions? we seem to be loaded with talent with the receiving group.

I have fewer question marks about our defense other than who the back ups will be especially on the DL. I have very few doubts about our special teams that group seems to be OK. I'm guessing and it's only a guess that our OL will be much better than last year because they have more experience and better coaching. If we have better OL play and decent DL play this year we will have a pretty good record. jmo
Dude, I've said it before on this forum.

You're an Offensive Coordinator, you're supposed to be telling us what's improved and what needs the most work.

I agree. Field the same Oline as the Huskers did last year and it will be rough.
I disagree. Last years OL was bad, and we coulda had a 10 win season without the untimely turnover by QB or special teams disaster.

Not sure an OL could be worse than last year, so if they're the same...we ought to have improved in the other area's.

If improved OL even in the slightest...only TDs will be on the menu.

I disagree. Last years OL was bad, and we coulda had a 10 win season without the untimely turnover by QB or special teams disaster.

Not sure an OL could be worse than last year, so if they're the same...we ought to have improved in the other area's.

If improved OL even in the slightest...only TDs will be on the menu.
Hope you are right. Lost a lot of veteran players on D as well.

Reactions: buckknowsall
What ever you come up with, I will just dispute it with something else. You say punting will be better and I will say OLine sucks. If you say OLine can be better than last year, I will say but defense lost a lot. Holy shit.

Our OL had some youth and was pretty awful…. yet also included a 2nd round pick at Center- who typically graded higher than the rest of the OL most games I think.
Replacing Jurgens, dealing with one of our projected starters getting suspended, and keeping high hopes for a young OT who’s coming off a major knee injury (ACL, MCL, Meniscus) only amplifies the murky spotlight.

Corcoran has some injury issues, and Hixon hasn’t been good enough to unseat underperforming guards, but supposedly is blossoming at Center.

Corcoran and Benhart having another year of growth is important. Piper got injured but seems to be falling out of the conversation altogether.
Then all the new or up and coming players are left to round out the room. I had high hopes for Brant Banks, but looks to be a career backup. Hunter Anthony could be a reliable piece, but likely not a starter at this point. Kevin Williams and Henry Lutovsky (who may be green) could really help push the room forward.

Our tackles got torched in the spring game, leaving more unease even if they end up not being starters.

New OL coach, new offense. Chemistry on OL is so important. With so much “new” and injuries, there just isn’t much time to put out a unit that can gel fast.

Raiola and Whipple got to figure it out in a league known for solid DL play.

Last year quickly hitting open receivers could have done wonders for our perception of the offensive line. As could have correct zone reads.

Then there is the whole topic about how play calling often made it difficult for our Oline. For instance Purdue ended up #77 in rush defense. Nebraska ran 29 times for 130, a respectable 4.5 yards a pop. NU threw 29 times and had 4 interceptions. NU ran 58 plays. Purdue had 86 offensive plays. Even though Purdue's offense had 28 more plays, NU out gained them 399 to 349 yards. Looks as if maybe NU should have run more because it was working and passing was resulting in turnovers. If the running didn't work, NU could always punt and let the defense get the ball back. (oops, maybe we didn't want to punt either).

I got real sick last year of the offensive line that was good enough take the heat for bad quarterbacking, bad game planning, bad in game adjusting, and poor special teams.

Last year quickly hitting open receivers could have done wonders for our perception of the offensive line. As could have correct zone reads.

Then there is the whole topic about how play calling often made it difficult for our Oline. For instance Purdue ended up #77 in rush defense. Nebraska ran 29 times for 130, a respectable 4.5 yards a pop. NU threw 29 times and had 4 interceptions. NU ran 58 plays. Purdue had 86 offensive plays. Even though Purdue's offense had 28 more plays, NU out gained them 399 to 349 yards. Looks as if maybe NU should have run more because it was working and passing was resulting in turnovers. If the running didn't work, NU could always punt and let the defense get the ball back. (oops, maybe we didn't want to punt either).

I got real sick last year of the offensive line that was good enough take the heat for bad quarterbacking, bad game planning, bad in game adjusting, and poor special teams.

I second this. Not a popular opinion but I thought our O-line struggles were more on the quarterbacking and play calling. Sooo many botched zone reads. NEVER any quick throws the weren’t behind the LOS. Just terrible offense and I hope to god it looks 1000% different this year or we’re screwed.

I second this. Not a popular opinion but I thought our O-line struggles were more on the quarterbacking and play calling. Sooo many botched zone reads. NEVER any quick throws the weren’t behind the LOS. Just terrible offense and I hope to god it looks 1000% different this year or we’re screwed.
It was very clear that our OT play was abysmal.

I think a lot of it comes down to QB play and team chemistry. Everyone on the team last year (including the fans) KNEW that AM could not and would not ever pull a rabbit out of the hat. This kind of thing is so horrible for an offensive identity and team, that it's difficult to describe any other way than 3-9.

It doesn't matter how close we were. Our defense did a great job at keeping it close, but we were never going to win with that kid back there.

Good QB's make those around them even better and as the season unfolds, the teamwork part should get even better.

Now, is CT an upgrade over AM from an athletic standpoint? Hard to say. Is he an upgrade over AM from a leadership standpoint, also very hard to say. Is he an upgrade over AM in being a clutch player, can he make it rain when he has to?

That is really the question. If he can do that, he will earn the respect of his teammates and guys will follow him and we will have a successful season.

CT does not come with a winning record from UT, and most of that blame would be on the Texas defense. Our defense should be respectable this year, so we are going to find out if CT is worth the hype or not.

I’m so excited for this year! God
Willing the staff can coach up these guys for 6 wins. I think they can do it, and prove the haters wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_aq2oj9agff6mk
It was very clear that our OT play was abysmal.
Yep…the highl

Lots of blame to go round but don’t kid yourself, the offensive line was bad. The worst that I’ve seen during the 45 years that I’ve closely followed the Huskers. Can you name a worse Neb offensive line than last year’s group?

Yep, shiit qb play. Typically holds the ball too long, doesn't make the right read and plays break down.

Yep…the highl

Lots of blame to go round but don’t kid yourself, the offensive line was bad. The worst that I’ve seen during the 45 years that I’ve closely followed the Huskers. Can you name a worse Neb offensive line than last year’s group?
And we lost the best player from that line. (And one of top others to suspension). Could be rough year. And yea, not a good oline in big 10 is basically a death sentence

Reactions: Rick.Shaw
Yep…the highl

Mike Riley’s final year was the worst OL group I’ve seen from Nebraska.

If that was the year that included Dylan Utter I'm in total agreement. No idea how that kid played as he probably shouldn't have been on an NAIA team. Go back and watch tape on that dude. By far the worst starting O-Lineman NU has ever had.

the OL might have done okay later in the season, but they were complete garbage early. Martinez bailed them out time and time again evading free rushers a second or two after the snap. Watch the OU game and just laugh at how ridiculously bad our OL played with penalties and turnstile blocks.

Clearly it was a combination of things. The offense was good enough between the 20's to rank in the top 25 in total offense. I think where the issues were and where the play calling suffered was in the red zone where Nebraska ranked 106th in Red Zone scoring and 125th in Red Zone FG% but 36th in Red Zone TD%.

I think that the play calling and decision making suffered closer to the Red Zone which prompted more FG attempts then needed and when you have a FG kicker who can't make FGs.

Clearly it was a combination of things. The offense was good enough between the 20's to rank in the top 25 in total offense. I think where the issues were and where the play calling suffered was in the red zone where Nebraska ranked 106th in Red Zone scoring and 125th in Red Zone FG% but 36th in Red Zone TD%.

I think that the play calling and decision making suffered closer to the Red Zone which prompted more FG attempts then needed and when you have a FG kicker who can't make FGs.
our efficiency metrics (red zone, 3rd down (offense & defense)) have been in the toilet for 3 straight years

I’m in agreement there were issues at both OL and QB that contributed to both groups looking bad.
I broke down some specific OL play in 1-2 games and there were clearly some inexcusable problems for a common schmuck like myself to easily notice. Add that AM escaped a lot of pressure that would have sacked other QBs.
PFF grades for OL are one other indicator showing the line scores were often abysmal.

Did AM hold the ball too long, not understand how to throw it away, etc.? Absolutely- definition of slow blinker to me despite what Verduzco preached
Is it harder to protect a QB who won’t stay in the pocket? yes
Should the QB help with OL calls to pick up blitzes? Probably, but that’s not my realm
*note: teams got pressure on us with minimal blitzing. 3 man rushes were often successful.
Harder to find open WR’s when D has everyone dropped back.
Someone mentioned proper zone read decisions? That definitely matters

I think Adrian was incredibly underwhelming as a passer and with turnovers, but I can’t look past the shortcomings of that line play. We also had a “relatively” young and/or inexperienced OL group. Had some injuries. It was not ideal.

It’s hard to always dissect scheme, but I’d include that as an important contributing factor as others mentioned.

First of all I want to thank all those that took the time to reply with their views about our 2022 team. I'm of the belief in what's in the past is in the past and what is about to unfold this season is what brings all of the Husker faithful together good or bad. I feel we are about to turn the corner as long as everyone stays healthy and plays as a unit. One thing I will not do is take any team in the BIG for granted, there are no guaranteed wins.

One thing is for certain for me, this is do or die time for coach Frost. Trev Alberts will not allow Frost to keep fumbling around and Frost knows it. Alberts will not allow the program to fade into obscurity, if he needs to make changes he will. Like it or not Nebraska still has name recognition and the name Nebraska is bigger than any one coach so the seat is hot and only Frost can cool it.

The first game will give Husker fans a quick and truthful idea of where we headed this year, lets hope in the right direction. I will not look back at what has transpired in past few years because it's what it was, it was the past. I will always give the team the benefit of the doubt until it shows they are not the team that deserves that benefit.

New year, new team, let's hope it's a good year for Nebraska football and it uplifts our spirits, God only knows we deserve better.

Reactions: BleedRed78
So Riley and staff coached them up? Because performance on the field said last year was worst (see footage every game where the cameras showed a Defensive End running untouched on the way to the Qb). Or Butkus’s son being a one man wrecking crew for Fordham against Neb.

Reactions: Truewooper
If that was the year that included Dylan Utter I'm in total agreement. No idea how that kid played as he probably shouldn't have been on an NAIA team. Go back and watch tape on that dude. By far the worst starting O-Lineman NU has ever had.
No. The worst O lineman I've ever seen play at Nebraska was Pelini's nephew.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT