ADVERTISEMENT

Polar Bear to wrestle.

So what is it that you are saying? if he wins and wrestles well is because he plays football? Hell then, why have wrestling practice--the wrestling team should be practicing football!

oh and BTW--so your football team had some 98lb guys in HS and in college you had 125lb guys playing football----LOL
Either the dude is just full of shit, or the wrestling team was shit at his HS. Nearly all of the good wrestlers when I was in HS were on the FB team.

Either the dude is just full of shit, or the wrestling team was shit at his HS. Nearly all of the good wrestlers when I was in HS were on the FB team.
And, D3 wrestlers are still really good...D3 FB players are basically guys that did not actually play football on this HS team.

Well, when I wrestled in high school, the basketball players were the cocky dickheads. They were more popular in terms of fan support, and they let us know it. The basketball coach got tired of them disrespecting us, so he had them practice with us one day. We took it to those mother effers for about 45 minutes. That practice is where the term ‘fish’ originates. It was a beautiful lesson in humility.
Well, to be fair, HS basketball players’ definition of work-ethic is the same as soccer, bowling, and baseball kids, but much different than real athletes.

Well, to be fair, HS basketball players’ definition of work-ethic is the same as soccer, bowling, and baseball kids, but much different than real athletes.
You SOB!

I coach bowling! Do we order fries and tater tots during practice?!?!

Sure!

But...you know what, you are right. :)

• Haha
Reactions: DonlugoQ
Possibly, I just know this (and wrestling fans won’t like this) when I was in HS and college (only played 1 season of D3 football due to injuries) pretty much every quality player on both my HS and college FB teams could whip the the wrestlers at their own sport. Just far better, stronger and more agile athletes at similar weights.

Now, IDK how that will translate in D1 wrestling? But from my own personal experience, the best football players are just far superior athletes. I personally could whip every wrestler in HS (at my weight) and I never had any real wrestling training outside of what they teach everyone in JrH Pys-ed wrestling.

So, that’s mostly what I’m basing my opinion on. Could be completely anecdotal and wrong. We’ll see…
I will say more than likely your HS wrestling team just sucked.

Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

So what is it that you are saying? if he wins and wrestles well is because he plays football? Hell then, why have wrestling practice--the wrestling team should be practicing football!

oh and BTW--so your football team had some 98lb guys in HS and in college you had 125lb guys playing football----LOL

No, just that football attracts higher caliber athletes. It’s more popular and more athletically competitive. So if you’re athletic enough to play high level football odds are you will naturally have a higher degree of athleticism. Obviously it’s not universal and probably doesn’t apply at the highest levels of competition. But in my personal experience(s) all/most of the best players on both my HS and college teams would’ve been dominate wrestlers.

not a problem

this is a showcase of ultimate competitiveness

literally nothing can satisfy Nash's hunger for wanting to physically dominate others

I now am backing off my statement about Polar Bear making an immediate impact. Thought he just joined the team and would need some time to get back into wrestling mode. Looks like he has been practicing for a while. I am a lot more excited than before.

In high school, 80% of the wrestlers are out for football. 180 and up are linebackers and defensive linemen

So the debate seems to have turned into: when a wrestler takes on a non-wrestler, the non-wrestler doesn’t do very well against the wrestler who has been practicing their sport for years. The same could be said in about every situation and every sport.

For what it’s worth, when wrestlers popped into our BB practices and talked smack, they quickly found out they were so uncoordinated at BB they couldn’t make a simple layup, bricked their free throws, and air balled from 3 point line.

FB players make great wrestlers and great BB players.

Just an awful idea
You are going from a meatgrinder of a season where basically your body is getting worn down the entire season and by the end most are playing through all kinds of ailments and then jumping into another high level sport that wears on the body while at the same time cutting 40-50 pounds

No time for optimal recovery between seasons

There is a reason why NFL players have stipulations in their contracts that prevents them from doing stupid shit like this

We need to decide if our football program is closer to an nfl type program or North Dakota high school football

This wrestling decision would suggest we are a lot closer to a high school operation than a program that takes football seriously.

Reactions: oldjar07
I am a big fan of the Polar Bear, but I don’t think he would earn AA status. He has been out if wrestling for 2-3 years and it would be tough to just step right in and dominate. I do think he would help as NU is pretty weak at 285 right now.
Nash would have to drop a ton of weight to make the 285. Its a fantastic conditioning sport, and hopefully he enjoys success and escapes any serious injury. With a nickname like Polar Bear, he has the size and mass to consider the WWE and maybe make a decent living after athletics are over for him.

I personally think he’ll instantly be one of the top heavyweights nationally. But I selfishly don’t really want him wrestling. He’s too valuable to the football team IMO. I’m not telling him he can’t if I’m Matt Rhule, but would definitely make it clear how important he is to football team. That being said, hope Nash kicks some ass on the mat and stays 100% healthy.
In high school national competition,there were 2 guys that handled him very easily by pinning Nash in less than a minute. There are levels.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Just an awful idea
You are going from a meatgrinder of a season where basically your body is getting worn down the entire season and by the end most are playing through all kinds of ailments and then jumping into another high level sport that wears on the body while at the same time cutting 40-50 pounds

There is a reason why NFL players have stipulations in their contracts that prevents them from doing stupid shit like this

We need to decide if our football program is closer to an nfl type program or North Dakota high school football

This wrestling decision would suggest we are a lot closer to a high school operation than a program that takes football seriously.
Nebraska has a top 15 wrestling program. NU has the Oklahoma 4A Wrestler of the Year on the roster at that weight class, and I suspect Nash is working with him. Hardly a North Dakota HS operation. Frost and company took the kid and made him less athletic. Rhule is trying something different.

Nebraska has a top 15 wrestling program. NU has the Oklahoma 4A Wrestler of the Year on the roster at that weight class, and I suspect Nash is working with him. Hardly a North Dakota HS operation. Frost and company took the kid and made him less athletic. Rhule is trying something different.
The high school comment was related to the multi sport dimension of high school athletics. Wrestling is great in high school - he was by far the biggest guy on the field in high school football and didn’t take the down to down beating compared to playing power 5 sports.
Near the end of the season he had to sit out multiple series because of wear and tear

No NFL team would allow anything close to this.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
I never wrestled, being tall and skinny precluded that, but I do not believe losing weight like that, just to re-gain it quickly is a good thing.

Maybe Rhule wants him playing at 305 instead of 335?
He seemed good at the higher weight last fall.

I do not think this is best, but I do not know much!

Reactions: BleedRed78
Nash would be a great guy for your hwt to work out with if nothing else. Nash didn’t have to come back so you let him wrestle if he wants to give it a go.

So the debate seems to have turned into: when a wrestler takes on a non-wrestler, the non-wrestler doesn’t do very well against the wrestler who has been practicing their sport for years. The same could be said in about every situation and every sport.

For what it’s worth, when wrestlers popped into our BB practices and talked smack, they quickly found out they were so uncoordinated at BB they couldn’t make a simple layup, bricked their free throws, and air balled from 3 point line.

FB players make great wrestlers and great BB players.
As a football player the hardest hits I ever took in games OR practice were all from wrestlers. Yeah I could pin a buddy who wrestled but he wasn’t very good. Different sports. Different muscle groups. Different aerobic demands.

Nash would be a great guy for your hwt to work out with if nothing else. Nash didn’t have to come back so you let him wrestle if he wants to give it a go.
I had forgotten him being back on his choice.

Disregard previous comment. I agree, let him do what he wants, and best of luck to him this year, and forward.

Let’s put it this way there is wrestling shape and there is football shape.
High end wrestlers don't play. This fits Rhule's theme. He wants high caliber athletes. And he seems to be willing to allow guys to play 2 sports if that gets/keeps them at NU. Are any of the freshman speedsters running track?

High end wrestlers don't play. This fits Rhule's theme. He wants high caliber athletes. And he seems to be willing to allow guys to play 2 sports if that gets/keeps them at NU. Are any of the freshman speedsters running track?
Track and field is a completely different situation. You are in complete control of your movements. No one is actively trying to force you in unnatural positions as you resist with all the might and force that your tendons, ligaments and muscles can muster

I don’t follow or care too much about college wrestling but he’s going to be an immediate impact.

He was an absolute monster as a wrestler in high school, much better wrestling than football prospect at that stage.

Also not worried about the weight, about 10 lbs of it is water weight in the quick cut anyway, putting his mass around 295. Getting him back to 300-310 by fall shouldn’t be an issue.

Plus, he was an objectively better player when he was leaner and quicker than bulked.

I never wrestled, being tall and skinny precluded that, but I do not believe losing weight like that, just to re-gain it quickly is a good thing.

Maybe Rhule wants him playing at 305 instead of 335?
He seemed good at the higher weight last fall.

I do not think this is best, but I do not know much!
This is a good angle. If he retains his strength, while picking up quickness, to go along with his experience, he’s going to be hard for any interior lineman to handle.

Just an awful idea

Yeah, I don't like it. Nash was a huge part of having one of the best rush defenses in the nation, and a lot of that could be attributed to his size and strength. We don’t have much of anything at backup NT either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT