ADVERTISEMENT

Ot. Comparing pellet grills

sthusker

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 1, 2008
We r moving and don't have room for a grill and smoker so um looking into a pellet grill I'm looking at the new green mountain with WiFi anyone have one or know of better ones

I don't own one but have heard great things about the Yoder brand. Very heavy duty, should last a lifetime. Made in Kansas.

I also don't own one but the two brand I've heard the best things about are Yoder and Rec-Tek.

If I had the room I'd buy the best separate grills for each of the different cooking method (smoking, grilling, baking & searing) but I too don't have the room. I'm a little bias but if I only had room for one grill, I'd make it a kamado. It does well at all of these cooking methods in one unit. I've produced a lot of mouth watering food off of mine. Here are a few (OK more than a few) pics to convince you.

It's and Oven:

Red Beans & Rice

Osso Buco

BBQ Chicken Pizza

Cheesy Corn Bread

Thanksgiving Turkey

It's a Grill:

Yogurt Marinated Chicken Kebabs

Grilled Chicken

It Sears:

Tri-Tip

Porterhouse w/ Blue-cheese compound butter

T-Bone w/ Bourbon sauce

And it Smokes:

Ribs

Bacon

Pulled Pork

If you want to know more about kamados take a visit over to kamadoguru.com

Last edited:
I own a green mountain and have had no problems. I will tell you that a lot of my friends have traegers and have had to order parts for them because they have broke or rusted out. And they are always garaged or covered.

Damn DerHusker, I'm impressed. Nice work. And I second Bugeater's comments on the tailgate chef.

Reactions: DerHusker
We r moving and don't have room for a grill and smoker so um looking into a pellet grill I'm looking at the new green mountain with WiFi anyone have one or know of better ones
We bought a Blazn Grill... made in good old Beatrice.... Very well built and pricing at or below the Green Mountain. I say Beatrice because Green Mountain is now made in China, and are not up to the standards of the original Green Mountain. Thin metals, heat retention and uniformaty is the issue with that.
Here is the link http://www.blazngrillworks.com/
We have the Grid Iron.

Traeger Grills are AWESOME! I have one and you can do literally everything on it...easy to use also.

I have a Traeger for smoking and a propane grill for burgers/steaks. Just can't get the heat high enough on the Traeger as there is no direct heat option (some pellet grills have them, I would consider those).

I have a Traeger for smoking and a propane grill for burgers/steaks. Just can't get the heat high enough on the Traeger as there is no direct heat option (some pellet grills have them, I would consider those).
Really? I do both those on there every time

I would buy a GrillGrate. They are sold online- used by pelletheads to get sear marks when doing regular grilling on a Traeger/Green Mountain. GMG will go to 500 temp and Trager 425-450.

Green Mountain gets better reviews than Traeger- same price point too. With the wifi option, there is a ton of cool things you can do with only stepping outside to put the meat on and then take it off. Great for winter or overnight grilling. You can set the grill to change temps when the IT of the meat hits a certain temp as well. Very cool stuff there. GMG also makes a made to fit heat blanket for winter grilling, and a made to fit grill cover if you keep it outdoors.
If you are feeling a bit richer- get a RecTec. Great grills- you won't find a bad review.

Really? I do both those on there every time
I sometimes do steaks and burgers on the Traeger, but I can be done grilling on a propane grill by the time the Traeger gets up to temperature, especially if there is any wind. Further, at 450*, you're getting little viable smoke flavor from the pellets. You're basically just baking them with expensive pellets.

Just bought a rectec and it's awesome. Incredible customer service, too. The owners include their personal cell numbers when you purchase. I texted them to thank them for the great grill and they all replied.

Just bought a rectec and it's awesome. Incredible customer service, too. The owners include their personal cell numbers when you purchase. I texted them to thank them for the great grill and they all replied.
2nd vote for Rec Tec if you can afford it, I have a friend that has one and loves it. I was ready to pull the trigger on a rec tec back in march but settled for the GMG due to the price point. Both are made in china but the Rec Tec is just higher quality, both have outstanding track records with customer service. I do love my GMG and have had zero problems with it. Check out pelletheads.com if you want some good advice on anything pellet related

Hate my traeger, isn't as good as my smoker at smoking and isn't as good as my grill at grilling. It does bbq very, very well, but I hesitate to call it a grill, it just doesn't get as hot as I need.

Rec Tec for sure, planning to buy one. Love the hopper being in back vs on the site. Great Reviews, love their social media they put out. I know its a little silly, but would like for it to have wifi and a app like GMG offers.

Do have a side question, has any one bought a Blaz'n Grill Works Pellet grill(Beatrice, NE)? Any thoughts on the one? Not sure on the cost, they dont' list on their site. I like their heat deflector that they offer vs others. And also like buying local vs. China.

Do have a side question, has any one bought a Blaz'n Grill Works Pellet grill(Beatrice, NE)? Any thoughts on the one? Not sure on the cost, they dont' list on their site. I like their heat deflector that they offer vs others. And also like buying local vs. China.

IIRC their lowest available model was around 1,100~1,200

Reactions: All N
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT