ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Caribbean vacation

bit tatanka

Walk On
Sep 27, 2002
Haven’t left the country for 15 years and was wondering any resorts and or countries people have had good luck at. Planning to go in February of next year and I appreciate any input!

Reactions: V-Doub
Just stay away from Nassau. It's the Bahaman word for 'dump full of thieves'.

Just about every cruise line drops you off there.

• Haha
Reactions: GBRforLife1
N as well. Going to take a Caribbean vacation sometime in February and want to go to a new island, but haven’t made up my mind. Been to Jamaica, Puero Rico, Kaymans, Keys and Grand Bahama. Curious about the British Virgin Islands or maybe even Belize? I’m all ears if anyone has some input 👍🏻

Reactions: bit tatanka
Anyone recommend Costa Rica? Giving thought to possible wedding anniversary trip next fall. Thanks.
Absolutely loved Costa Rica. My son and his wife had their wedding reception there. We all loved Costa Rica. Driving was an experience there, but food, people and activities were awesome. Many Americans are retiring there. Zip lining and repelling in the rain forest is still one of our all-time favorite vacation activities that we have done.

Reactions: ssmill777
Haven’t left the country for 15 years and was wondering any resorts and or countries people have had good luck at. Planning to go in February of next year and I appreciate any input!
spanish-speaking locales and Eastward... basically the further you get from the US, the better it gets.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I've had multiple friends rave about the Dominican Republic
Old friends went to the DR a year ago. They had a great time, but never left the resort. I know a guy here in town who did very well when he sold his plumbing company he built from the ground-up. He and his wife built a house in the DR and they spend more time there than up here. You guys are going to like this. He is originally from I-O-W-A!

Absolutely loved Costa Rica. My son and his wife had their wedding reception there. We all loved Costa Rica. Driving was an experience there, but food, people and activities were awesome. Many Americans are retiring there. Zip lining and repelling in the rain forest is still one of our all-time favorite vacation activities that we have done.
Costa Rica is great - was there about a year ago. You read and hear alot about the driving down there. While there is some aggressive driving down there on some windy jungle roads, not sure its really much worse that what I see on a daily basis living in the Denver metro area. The main difference is you have somebody in a junked out vehicle tailgating you and driving crazy vs someone in a $80K pickup or SUV.

Grand Lido in Negril Jamaica--primo. aaaand they own Hedonism just a walk away ;). Also Sandals in St. Lucia was very good. BTW, bring the water sports folks free drinks and you get a little longer time with the gear.

Been to several:

Love Costa Rica (Guancaste area).
Grand Cayman is a very nice island…bluest water I’ve ever seen (recommend the Westin)
Aruba (more windy and arid)
St. John (quiet..recommend the Westin)
Belize (honestly was a bit disappointed)
Punta Cana (very nice)

I would highly recommend you check out where the sargassum is (it’s a very smelly seaweed that ruins the beach experience). It’s become very prevalent on some of the Caribbean islands (Belize most recently). The stuff floats around and is nasty.

Been to several:

Love Costa Rica (Guancaste area).
Grand Cayman is a very nice island…bluest water I’ve ever seen (recommend the Westin)
Aruba (more windy and arid)
St. John (quiet..recommend the Westin)
Belize (honestly was a bit disappointed)
Punta Cana (very nice)

I would highly recommend you check out where the sargassum is (it’s a very smelly seaweed that ruins the beach experience). It’s become very prevalent on some of the Caribbean islands (Belize most recently). The stuff floats around and is nasty.
The resort in DR had the seaweed as well. But they did a good job of having nets around the swimming area that kept most of it out. Any that made it to the beach they had a clean up crew picking it up daily.

The resort in DR had the seaweed as well. But they did a good job of having nets around the swimming area that kept most of it out. Any that made it to the beach they had a clean up crew picking it up daily.
I liked Punta Cana. But as for the beaches, I was told by a few people that Destin has a better beach than the resort we were at.

Reactions: GaRed
Was tagging my message twice another sr moment ? 🤣😂
Nah. I started to reply then went to something else and hit reply again. #%it happens. I had Costa Rica confused. With another island nation my daughter visited a couple of years ago and now I’m drawing a blank in its name. Long day. Ran a chainsaw most of the afternoon. 66 F and sunshine. Beautiful day and I’m pooped.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
I liked Punta Cana. But as for the beaches, I was told by a few people that Destin has a better beach than the resort we were at.
We were at Cap Cana on the Carribean side. Beautiful white sand and warm turquoise waters.

I've done both Eastern and Western Caribbean. In my opinion the Western Caribbean has better ports with more to do and is more fun overall. Give me Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, and the Cayman Islands (and possibly Costa Rica and Panama) over the dull, overpopulated islands of the Eastern Caribbean any day.

I've done both Eastern and Western Caribbean. In my opinion the Western Caribbean has better ports with more to do and is more fun overall. Give me Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, and the Cayman Islands (and possibly Costa Rica and Panama) over the dull, overpopulated islands of the Eastern Caribbean any day.
Skip Cozumel. That place is a dump. Have friends that like Turks and Caicos. They’re in to snorkeling etc with a couple of grade school kids. Most of the people I know who go to the Caribbean avoid the ports and just fly in to a resort. Costa Rica has had their state department security rating recently downgraded.

Lots of variables for this conversation. I'd start with the type of trip you're looking for. Some people like small boutique exclusive luxury type trip. Some want huge mega all-inclusive waterpark resort type trip. You want to golf? Snorkel? Party? Is cost a big factor? Etc

Reactions: dinglefritz
I'd buy a Honda Trail 125 ship it to Havana and tour the country for a couple weeks or a month. No cell phones, hot women and quality rum.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Don't drink there. Seen the articles of people dying
I believe it was the bug spray that was being used at the resorts.. Bug spray is basically nerve gas... and yeah, people died multiple times from it in the DR.

I'd go to Thailand or Malaysia before going to the Caribbean.

Might also consider Malta or Greece if thinking more European.

There are also a lot of cool resorts near Barcelona, Spain (Lloret de Mar & Calella)

Skip Cozumel. That place is a dump. Have friends that like Turks and Caicos. They’re in to snorkeling etc with a couple of grade school kids. Most of the people I know who go to the Caribbean avoid the ports and just fly in to a resort. Costa Rica has had their state department security rating recently downgraded.
Cozumel a dump? Who are you, Jeff Bezos?
I loved Cozumel, west side of the island, stayed at the Intercontinental Presidente, beautiful place. Water was perfectly warm, clear, lots of great snorkeling.
Also had a good time in Costa Rica a couple years back, half the trip in the Arenal volcano area the other half in Manuel Antonio area by the beach. Costa Rican ocean water is a great temperature but not super blue and clear like you might find in some other places.
Good time though.

My next trip personally, I’d like to get back to Hawaii and do a night dive with the Manta Rays.

Good luck OP, I am sure you’ll pick a good spot.

I loved Cozumel, west side of the island, stayed at the Intercontinental Presidente, beautiful place. Water was perfectly warm, clear, lots of great snorkeling.
Also had a good time in Costa Rica a couple years back, half the trip in the Arenal volcano area the other half in Manuel Antonio area by the beach. Costa Rican ocean water is a great temperature but not super blue and clear like you might find in some other places.
Good time though.

My next trip personally, I’d like to get back to Hawaii and do a night dive with the Manta Rays.

It’s been 7 years since I was in Cozumel but yes it was a dump. Mold everywhere on everything. Crappy roads. Sketchy cab drivers. No thanks. Visited the Presidente. Wasn’t impressed. I’m not a Mexico guy either though

Good time though.

Good to hear. Going there in a month. Never been. Been to Cabo. Loved it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT