ADVERTISEMENT

OLB in Nebraska's Defense: Recruiting and big picture

BroskiRed

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 14, 2016
Omaha, NE
As I understand it, OWH will be putting out a story tomorrow (Evan Bland) about Nebraska's linebacker recruiting. Throwing this out there, in regards to OLB specifically, I'm having a hard time seeing what the blueprint is for this position, possibly because the guys recruited last year are still developing and the staff is forced to play what they have (Ace Davis, converted safety Domann at times)
Here is the depth chart at the position:
OLB Alex Davis 6'5" 250 Tyrin Fergusen 6'2" 230
OLB Caleb Tannor 6'2" 220 Garrett Nelson 6'3" 260

As I understand it, 3-4 OLB is the one of the key positions in Chin's defensive scheme in both run fits and disrupting the opponent's passing game. If development needs to happen here, it's possible that this position actually takes a step backwards if what is needed here isn't on the roster yet...
2019 outisde linebacker class:
Jamin Graham 6'4" 240
Garrett Nelson 6'3" 260
That's it, 2 outside linebackers
FWIW it lists on the Huskers.com website that Henrich, Hannah, and Snodgrass are all inside linebackers

2018 class:
David Alston 6'4" 235
Caleb Tannor 6'2" 220
Big Picture: In two cycles this staff has identified 4 current OLBs that are on the roster. Currently, in this 2020 class, Nebraska has Blaise Gunnerson who fits the mold of a BIG10 OLB in my opinion.
Blaise Gunnerson 6'5" 250
I don't think that Groce that decommitted was an OLB either, looked to be an ILB at 6'2" 220
Interestingly, Nebraska's one official visitor for this weekend is Latarie Kinsler who is listed as a DE at 6' 4" 205 but Nebraska is likely recruiting Kinsler as an OLB

What is the blueprint for this position, to have players like a Gunnerson and a Tannor on the field? Are there essentially two types of players in this 3-4 scheme at OLB?
Does a player like Garrett Nelson or Caleb Tannor have the kind of length to play in this league against the elite TE/OT that are in this conference? I would think that players like Alston and Tannor will take more time to develop in the weight room
How many OLB should be in this current class, 3-4?
It's also interesting to note that Chins was the primary recruiter for Gunnerson, Dewitt secondary recruiter. Dewitt is listed as the primary recruiter for Kaden Johnson (MN) OLB.
He wasn't listed as either the primary or secondary recruiter for Malik Reed that has commited to Wisconsin.
I'm not completely dogging Dewitt; I understand that he is recently healthy...
It looks like this staff uses multiple coaches to recruit this position. Does Chins take a lead role in OLB since it's critical to the scheme? Not a lot of home games left to line up visits for OLB.

They play with a stand-up OLB that is to set the edge and contain and the other OLB is to provide the cutback/boot. Right now they don't have the guys on the roster to effectively perform the assignments the way they need to. One of the reasons why UCF went undefeated is that they found Griffen that could set the edge at an elite level and he made it to the NFL. We really don't have that guy right now - at least until Nelson develops the technique for it.

They have a guy coming in this weekend that would be the speed rush and the big OLB out of MN would be the edge setter.

That's the feel I get where you have a guy who is a "base" and a guy who is an "open" type where one has more pass rush/coverage tendencies and the other has more run stopping tendencies.

I like what they have in Nelson and Gunnerson.

As far as the rest...still searching I think. A lot of what helped them at UCF was how disruptive Griffin was able to be at that OLB/Nickel spot. They've been using Domann in that role.

Finding guys who can really be elite pass rushers as 3-4 OLBs is hard, hard, hard work. The idea in running that as your base scheme is you can find guys who can run and make athletic plays from that second level more easily than you can on the line. So far at NU the opposite has been true. They've gotten all kinds of dudes at DL who look like they are really gonna be players and not many at LB.

Reactions: BroskiRed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT