ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts/Break down

No, anything can work, you just need a head man that can implement it. If instead of the option, NU had made it's name on the WCO system, we would all be clamoring to go back to that. We love our tradition and the nostalgia of what we were from the late 60's to early 2000's, but times change.

It's definitely my opinion, but I think Frost needs to go back and do what made him successful and that is a Chip Kelly Oregon type offense. Get fast as hell skill position players with more athletic lineman that aren't so big and bulky and just go faster than everyone else. He does need to get a QB to execute that plan, but trying to combine like 3 different systems just isn't working. We don't have to be the Big Red Machine from the hay day that is bigger and stronger than every one else.

Hell last night during the Ole Miss game that kept talking about how a lot of teams are going to a 3DL - 2-LB 6 DB system just to get speed on the field... Nebraska is not athletic right now and that is a big part of our problem.
Those programs also have to field teams that can compete against the receiving threats of Alabama and Florida, so they need all the speed they can get on defense. That doesn't apply as much to the Big 10.

Sorry, but you are wrong. If you run RPO why would you want a slow QB? If you pass 75% of the time, why would you want a weak-armed and inaccurate QB?

Scott Frost trying to make AM a pocket passer shows the incompetence of Scott Frost.
RPO is so stupid. Way too much information for the qb to have to analyze before the snap and then have to communicate that with the rest of the team and hope they do what they're supposed to be doing instead of actually knowing what they're going to do ahead of time. Then you've got to get yourself in the right mindset to make the right reads and execute the play. It's no wonder some qb's struggle so much with it.

We need changes in coaching staff, yes. But we don't need to destroy our traditions along the way. That's just stupid.
I'm not saying get rid of everything, but you have to adjust with the times. I've got some Ohio St. buddies and that is exactly what they do. They have a few alternates in uniforms, but they have also adapted to new music and a lot of other things. At Nebraska we are so stuck in our ways the world is moving on, but yet we can't because we still live in the past.

RPO is so stupid. Way too much information for the qb to have to analyze before the snap and then have to communicate that with the rest of the team and hope they do what they're supposed to be doing instead of actually knowing what they're going to do ahead of time. Then you've got to get yourself in the right mindset to make the right reads and execute the play. It's no wonder some qb's struggle so much with it.
Lol, the RPO is stupid, just all of the major players right now incorporate that into their scheme. Ok.....

Reactions: TheNewNU
We need changes in coaching staff, yes. But we don't need to destroy our traditions along the way. That's just stupid.
Agree. But I wonder... Who wants to come to Frost's staff? If he stays by agreeing to replace staff, who do you bring in that wants to run his system & can work with/for him? More young unproven types with limited experience? Who would be the right QB coach? OL coach?

Lol. All I’m saying is the mob mentality has got to stop bro. Like I said I won’t be a Frost defender if he keeps all his buddys on the staff I’m just as frustrated as everyone else man just trying to be optimistic I guess. And yes your probably right we could get somebody else. But culture change after culture change is no good
No. Bad culture change is bad, if Scott werent an alumnus he wouldve been fired last year. Good coaches turn programs around. We are already the worst team in the conference I dont know how much worse things can get. Chip Kelly has UCLA humming in year 4. Which was probably just as much of a rebuild as we were. Dan Mullen turned Florida into a top 10 team overnight. These guys are all Frosts recruits. His best players on defense are all Riley recruits. Its ridiculous to think this is anyones fault but Scotts.

No. Bad culture change is bad, if Scott werent an alumnus he wouldve been fired last year. Good coaches turn programs around. We are already the worst team in the conference I dont know how much worse things can get. Chip Kelly has UCLA humming in year 4. Which was probably just as much of a rebuild as we were. Dan Mullen turned Florida into a top 10 team overnight. These guys are all Frosts recruits. His best players on defense are all Riley recruits. Its ridiculous to think this is anyones fault but Scotts.
Yep!

It would be one thing if it looked like it was trending up at all but it really doesn't.

I mean, this is year four and us fans are worried about how to beat Buffalo. That is not a good sign.

This has to be a joke How many losing seasons should we have before enough is enough? I’d say this is it. For Gods sake we are the worst or nearly the worst team in the BIG. Just stop. The right coaching staff will abruptly turn things around.
We have the most talent in the West. We are currently the worst team in the West. This all points to the staff. It has nothing to do with the type of offense we run.

Chip is rolling this year so far, but there same shit was being said about him last year as well. Can't close, horrible mistakes, etc... All of the sudden it clicked this year, but he also has a QB1 who seems to be light years ahead of ours.

Agree. But I wonder... Who wants to come to Frost's staff? If he stays by agreeing to replace staff, who do you bring in that wants to run his system & can work with/for him? More young unproven types with limited experience? Who would be the right QB coach? OL coach?
Frost had his chance to make staff changes after each of the first three seasons, and he didn't take it. Frost needs to be the first to go.

Lol, the RPO is stupid, just all of the major players right now incorporate that into their scheme. Ok.....
When most of our receivers aren't even going out for routes on a passing play and are instead looking to run block... yeah the RPO is stupid.

Chip Kelly had sustained success at another program before he went to UCLA. Frost had one miracle year at UCF, but other than that every season he's finished with a losing record. It's obvious to me Frost as a loser head coach is a more accurate depiction of his coaching talent.

That system was sustainable while Osborne was here.

what has worked doesn’t mean that is the only thing that will work. People get that confused.
The wishbone worked for some schools in the past and won national titles, but that doesn’t mean that those schools can only run wishbone.
Fair enough.

I guess I don't really care what offense we run, so long as it is sustainable and we can get talent to run it, long term.

The real itch in my shorts, is this hurry up, don't control the clock scheme that Frost runs, where they are trying to give the offense an extra possession or two at the expense of giving up another score (or so it seems) when the defense gives up an average 24-30pts a game.

I don't think it plays well to the traditional husker fan, and I don't think it plays well in the B1G.

Well the offense has sucked for 4 years, so what do I know.

Reactions: leodisflowers
You lose all credibility when you say "smash mouth" and outside of the Russell Wilson years they aren't some juggernaut. The key is finding a coach who can get us to perform in all three phases of the game as well as recruit good players. Also thinking we can compete for a Natty should totally go away. Your so called "smash mouth' type teams (Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, etc.) aren't competing for National Titles and neither would we if that is the route we wanted to take, but would our fan base be ok with winning 7-10 games a year and maybe making an occasional trip to Indy to be beat down by Ohio St., and maybe catching lightning in a bottle to get us to a Rose Bowl?

Solich - Rode Osborne guys, didn't recruit well and failed to change. As offense adapted and defense adapted, we didn't. That is what made Osborne the man, he was constantly changing and it just wasn't always a "smash mouth" attack.

Callahan: Decent at Offense and Special Teams, but Defense is what killed him in the long run. If he makes a big boy hire on D, he may still be here. Also a stud recruiter, but wasn't good at all 3 phases

Pelini: Needed to figure out how to recruit and was hampered that he couldn't get an offense going when he needed it the most. Should have won back to back Big 12 titles, but had no offense. If he wins those, it's easier to recruit and possibly is still here, but instead he was lacking in recruiting and he was ousted.

Frost: Offense and Special Teams are dreadful while the defense continues to improve. The players are in place here to win games, they just aren't being developed. Our S&C Program is stuck in 1980 and we are just not athletic.

Well, Clownahan did know how to ring up good stats during garbage time.

Just spitballing here. You start by gently telling Scott that his system hasn't and won't work here.
You ask Scott if AM has picked his school to transfer to. You jettison Austin and Verduzco, based on lack of performance or improvement.

You check the piggy bank and you pay Tom Herman 1.1 Million to be the Offensive Coordinator/QB coach, just like the top school does. And you have a potential head coach in waiting.

You pay a PROVEN offensive line coach 750K like the serious schools do. You immediately upgrade 3 of the biggest problem areas on the entire offense.

You then ask your new offensive line coach how sold he is on a 6'9" right tackle who slow feet, and then you check his thoughts on a right guard who can't move, and then you move to left guard and ask what you do with an athletic 6'3" guard with good feet but who can't run or pass block.

Now you're getting a good start once you get the answers.

You might even ask the guy if he would consider moving the future Rimington winner if it made sense to move him to left guard next to the 6'6" kid with good feet, who can also run and see if they can block someone when they're on the move, i.e. pulling guard and pulling tackle.

You look at the roster and say, "we have 20 offensive linemen with different skill levels. Are we playing the best 5 if we want to run the ball better?" "And why do we have to have so many 6'6" and taller guys?"

You check among your group of 10 tight ends and see who, if any, can really block on the move, and since I'm dealing in either delusion or strictly hypothetical, I wonder if among any of the 25 LB's we have, is there anyone with good size who has enough speed to play tight end and who lives for contact?
2 days with Ron Brown and a couple of backup defensive linemen can get you either a yes or no from Brown. A possibility could exist to add some aggression and maybe somebody who might light a match under somebody's ass.

You open up a practice with these linemen, and see who wants the job of actually blocking.

Sorry for the length of this post guys. I respect "almost" all opinions, so let me have it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NikkiSixx
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT