ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Rhule not coming to Nebraska (?)

I think Trev put out names like Jeff Monken and Gary Patterson so we would more easily accept a name like Lane Leipold. We're within a couple weeks of the moment of truth, so it really doesn't matter.

LL is a good fit for either program, are you just coping?
I stopped inhaling Copium after Trev spelled out in September how he was going to go about this process and what he was looking for in an NU head coach.

Do I think he would fit at NU? Yes and no. Do I think he ends up at NU? I’d bet the farm Lance isn’t coming to Lincoln. Alberts is putting on a PR clinic, and the CSA search firm is earning their check yet again keeping it close to the vest, just like they did with Riley to USC and Kelly to LSU.

Last edited:
I stopped inhaling Copium after Trev spelled out in September how he was going to go about this process and what he was looking for in an NU head coach.

Do I think he would fit at NU? Yes and no. Do I think he ends up at NU? I’d bet the farm Lance isn’t coming to Lincoln. Alberts is putting on a PR clinic, and the CSA search firm is earning their check yet again keeping it close to the vest, just like they did with Rile tonUSC and Kelly to LSU.
Your coaching search is more exciting than mine. Hope you're right.

Do I think he would fit at NU? Yes and no. Do I think he ends up at NU? I’d bet the farm Lance isn’t coming to Lincoln. Alberts is putting on a PR clinic, and the CSA search firm is earning their check yet again keeping it close to the vest, just like they did with Rile tonUSC and Kelly to LSU.
That firm didn't do Kelly to LSU did they?

I know that there is not a lot of excitement in stealing a 6-6 coach from KU, but that program was an absolute mess when Lance took over. Not quite K-State 1988 bad, but close. My prediction is that he ends up at WI and in two years Nebraska fans will be wondering why Trev passed him by.

If you do a Bill Snyder comparison, KSU was 23-85-3 in the 10 prior years, he won 1 game year 1 and 5 games year 2. KU was 18-99 in the 10 years prior to Leipold, he got 2 wins in year 1, sitting at 6 with 3 remaining in year 2. Both BS and LL are guys that identify talent, develop talent, and build teams. Regardless of whether he stays at KU or goes to Wisconsin or Nebraska, LL will be coaching in a bowl game next year.

Reactions: Minn1954
I think Trev put out names like Jeff Monken and Gary Patterson so we would more easily accept a name like Lane Leipold. We're within a couple weeks of the moment of truth, so it really doesn't matter.
Just makes him look dumb honestly. Leipold's a good coach, just sell his good qualities.

Because he gives me a case of the meh
I felt the same at the beginning of the year, and certainly felt that people clamoring for him after his 2-10 season was strange.

honest question though, have you watched them play this year? they look like a completely different team, and they play hard. there is no doubt in my mind that they would destroy Nebraska if they played this weekend.

There might be a potential opening at Penn St that would give Rhule a pause in accepting a job in Lincoln. Some rumblings that Franklin has Auburn interest.

Yep. Something to monitor closely for sure.

I felt the same at the beginning of the year, and certainly felt that people clamoring for him after his 2-10 season was strange.

honest question though, have you watched them play this year? they look like a completely different team, and they play hard. there is no doubt in my mind that they would destroy Nebraska if they played this weekend.
Destroying Nebraska isn’t saying much. The guy just doesn’t do anything for me. If it’s him that means Trev struck out.

Reactions: king_kong_
People need to sort "I think" from what Trev says is fact and as far as I know, he hasn't said a single name. So what do we know? Not much really but its fun to pretend like we do I guess. Perhaps someone can show me where Trev put real names out there?

These coaches do not need to use these openings as leverage for salary. Every AD in the country knows what is going on. There aren't a lot of secrets out there. You have a search firm asking questions and gathering information on prospects. Its hard to gather information without talking to many people involved in their current programs.

I know that there is not a lot of excitement in stealing a 6-6 coach from KU, but that program was an absolute mess when Lance took over. Not quite K-State 1988 bad, but close. My prediction is that he ends up at WI and in two years Nebraska fans will be wondering why Trev passed him by.

If you do a Bill Snyder comparison, KSU was 23-85-3 in the 10 prior years, he won 1 game year 1 and 5 games year 2. KU was 18-99 in the 10 years prior to Leipold, he got 2 wins in year 1, sitting at 6 with 3 remaining in year 2. Both BS and LL are guys that identify talent, develop talent, and build teams. Regardless of whether he stays at KU or goes to Wisconsin or Nebraska, LL will be coaching in a bowl game next year.
I think Lance Leipold and Willie Fritz are 2 of the most underrated coaches in the business. Those guys can flat out coach.

Down cycle in recruiting? Theyre Ohio state and he had a roster full of tressel bought and paid for talent. Interim or not, he just gets a pass for being in charge of the worst Ohio state football season since 1999?
Yeah, Fickell had Joe Bauserman when he was the interim coach. He should have won the national title with that kind of talent at QB!

Trev talks about “fit” a lot. I don’t think there’s a better fit out there than Fickell.
Hopefully Trev sees the same and does what it takes.
Leipold was a GA for Frank😕. They’re puttin the band back together. Franks gonna be an offensive analyst ..,,,

Ya know...it's a good time to maybe remember Frank did coach a Heisman winning QB and had us in a national title game.....and was willing to overhaul his staff when it wasn't working pretty fast and turned us around from a disaster the year before as a result.

Ya know...it's a good time to maybe remember Frank did coach a Heisman winning QB and had us in a national title game.....and was willing to overhaul his staff when it wasn't working pretty fast and turned us around from a disaster the year before as a result.
Well Frank’s ability to control his staff was questionable but I think he would have figured it out eventually. His own problem at Ohio wasn’t something new to him or his NU assistants. I doubt that Trev would tolerate some of the stuff from a new staff that went on during Franks tenure. It’s almost like some guys act like they’re still college seniors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT