ADVERTISEMENT

I'm with Archie....I am fully off of the train. Who else....?

1. I don't know what to think of Parella after last night. Our defensive front 7 got mauled by a good, but not great, offensive line.

2. I just think it is obvious that no amount of coaching them up with proper technique can paper over the fact that they don't practice against a physical offensive line running a physical style offense.

3. I think Riley should be fired. I lean toward a Frost hire, but would be open to any coach with successful D1 experience.

4. Last night was a systemic, total team failure. Our defensive line is soft because they practice against a soft style of patty cake offense. Our offensive line woefully underachieves and are very poorly coached. We have not recruited a difference maker at running back and it shows. And our wide receivers are the most overrated and poorly coached group on the whole team. Not one of them can get separation consistently nor do they have good hands.

5. In short, our "football culture" at NU seems geared toward getting flashy skill position recruits to visit and talk Riley up, but not toward actually winning games.

6. I am tired of some on here trashing our fan base. Nobody on here is that superior. There is absolutely nothing wrong with preferring a power football approach over a pass first approach. It is a proven recipe for winning and it is our older tradition. So to call fans who want that style back naive and nostalgic is ignorant posturing by chat board Napoleans.

7. The black out was largely successful. The fans were loud and pumped. And they deserved a better product on the field. What I witnessed in the second half was a disgusting display of Calibraska style, patty-cake football. I think Riley would be good at fielding a flag football team. He needs to be sent packing.

jarrod-dyson-reving-it-up.gif

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
1. I don't know what to think of Parella after last night. Our defensive front 7 got mauled by a good, but not great, offensive line.

2. I just think it is obvious that no amount of coaching them up with proper technique can paper over the fact that they don't practice against a physical offensive line running a physical style offense.

3. I think Riley should be fired. I lean toward a Frost hire, but would be open to any coach with successful D1 experience.

4. Last night was a systemic, total team failure. Our defensive line is soft because they practice against a soft style of patty cake offense. Our offensive line woefully underachieves and are very poorly coached. We have not recruited a difference maker at running back and it shows. And our wide receivers are the most overrated and poorly coached group on the whole team. Not one of them can get separation consistently nor do they have good hands.

5. In short, our "football culture" at NU seems geared toward getting flashy skill position recruits to visit and talk Riley up, but not toward actually winning games.

6. I am tired of some on here trashing our fan base. Nobody on here is that superior. There is absolutely nothing wrong with preferring a power football approach over a pass first approach. It is a proven recipe for winning and it is our older tradition. So to call fans who want that style back naive and nostalgic is ignorant posturing by chat board Napoleans.

7. The black out was largely successful. The fans were loud and pumped. And they deserved a better product on the field. What I witnessed in the second half was a disgusting display of Calibraska style, patty-cake football. I think Riley would be good at fielding a flag football team. He needs to be sent packing.
Chat board napoleons. So well said

Really good post. #5) Riley is about smoke and mirrors, good PR so every offseason the fans feel good about the program then when play actually starts it all falls apart again -All hat no cattle

Number 6 is right on also. This is what got us into trouble in the first place, we win when we play physical football, good defense and run the ball why is that so hard to understand

Just wanna win. I don't care if its Riley, Scott Frost, Jack Frost or Robert Frost. Tired of losing!! Just win.
We probably shouldn't hire Frosty the Snowman. I would hate to look over at the sideline mid way through the Spring Game and see a puddle of water, a top hat, a carrot, and a couple lumps of coal.

Reactions: HBK4life

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/nnd/news/

Excellent post sir.

Indeed, despite overwhelming evidence showing fluff-ball simply doesn't work at NU the insults never stop. Clownahan & MR just keep losing......

Really good post. #5) Riley is about smoke and mirrors, good PR so every offseason the fans feel good about the program then when play actually starts it all falls apart again -All hat no cattle

Number 6 is right on also. This is what got us into trouble in the first place, we win when we play physical football, good defense and run the ball why is that so hard to understand
Exactly. Why is it so hard for some on here to understand that those of us who desire a return to what has become known as smashmouth or "power" football know what it is we want and why we want it? So sick of the people on here with their condescending snottiness toward fans who know more about football than they are being given credit for. We damn well know that even by Osborne's standards, the 90's were unusual. But we aren't stupid and know that a power running based attack, couple with a bruising, physical, aggressive defense, is not an impossible dream.

I also never liked the Mike Riley hire from day 1. I wanted Bo to go and thought Mike Riley, if you look at his coaching history, should never have been hired at Nebraska. SE had no idea what he was doing.

Exactly. Why is it so hard for some on here to understand that those of us who desire a return to what has become known as smashmouth or "power" football know what it is we want and why we want it? So sick of the people on here with their condescending snottiness toward fans who know more about football than they are being given credit for. We damn well know that even by Osborne's standards, the 90's were unusual. But we aren't stupid and know that a power running based attack, couple with a bruising, physical, aggressive defense, is not an impossible dream.

The reason that can work in Lincoln is because it has been a proven successful winning formula at a place that pulls recruiting classes in the 20s and 30s.

For example, for the team that came in here last night and shoved the ball up our ass sideways.

Sure, we can recruit better than that here but that had not been the norm over the long term.

Incidentally, I don’t remember some big upswell of fan support for bringing a pro style offense in here when Riley was hired.

What I DO remember was healthy and widespread fan support for bringing in someone who could put a defense on the field that did not suck ass. Something that neither Pelini nor Callahan was able to do at any time with the exception of the years Suh was dominating games.

How Eichorst misread that to mean “bring Banker in here “ is a lot weird.

I think it’s more of a possibility than the offense we’re trying to run here. Our offensive style and direction requires us to win out on some of the most sought after players in the country, we’re just not going to compete with that. We didn’t require those sorts of recruiting needs in the past, now it’s become a damn crutch to lean on and complain about not having any talent.

The reason that can work in Lincoln is because it has been a proven successful winning formula at a place that pulls recruiting classes in the 20s and 30s.

For example, for the team that came in here last night and shoved the ball up our ass sideways.

Sure, we can recruit better than that here but that had not been the norm over the long term.

Incidentally, I don’t remember some big upswell of fan support for bringing a pro style offense in here when Riley was hired.

What I DO remember was healthy and widespread fan support for bringing in someone who could put a defense on the field that did not suck ass. Something that neither Pelini nor Callahan was able to do at any time with the exception of the years Suh was dominating games.

How Eichorst misread that to mean “bring Banker in here “ is a lot weird.
Great post

Great post

It's getting very tiresome watching some posters sit on the fence and trash everyone and exaggerate everything. Must be nice to sit on the sidelines and trash both sides of every argument while offering no solutions just over exaggerated BS.

Our offense in 2010 was the most fun I've had watching the Huskers since 2001. A run first, read-option spread. When TM was healthy that offense was dangerous. Opened up a ton of space in the passing game as well. If I had it my way, I'd like to see NU running this again. I liked Watson's spread far more than the unorganized garbage Tim Beck put on the field.

Great post

It's getting very tiresome watching some posters sit on the fence and trash everyone and exaggerate everything. Must be nice to sit on the sidelines and trash both sides of every argument while offering no solutions just over exaggerated BS.

Yep. And to disqualify Frost as a candidate SOLELY based on the fact that he is a Nebraska alum.

I don’t know that Frost is the best candidate for this job. I know that he’s a damn good one.

Just so tired of watching this team play undisciplined ball. Every damn year for about 15 years now. Even when we were competing, turnovers and penalties were hallmarks of the offense and defense.

Reactions: oldjar07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT