ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Supercharged Ram Trx more efficient than Rivian

GBRforLife1

Head Coach
Feb 18, 2020
Interesting data.

In a road trip from Michigan to Florida the R1T cost as much, or even more to fuel than a Ram TRX and required over five hours of charging in the process.

This test happened at the hands of Car and Driver and with its very own long-term R1T test vehicle. The folks there decided to drive from their headquarters at 1585 Eisenhower Pl, Ann Arbor, MI to Daytona Speedway for the opening race of the IMSA season. It was a noble goal with a bit of fun baked in they must have thought when they set out on the nearly 1,100-mile trip (roughly 1,770 km).

Sadly, the reality is that road trips in an EV that can’t access the Tesla Supercharger network still aren’t smooth sailing. Rivian’s navigation system indicated to the team that they’d need to stop 10 times to charge and that the trip would take 24 hours and 31 minutes. According to Google Maps, the normal non-EV estimate is about 16 and a half hours. Click the
Link for more details.

Reactions: RBigredMax
EVs suck, long live oil and carbon, Fack emissions and regulations
The tech isn’t where it needs to be both in terms of charging and range. It’s also not the “green savior” people think. I would rather have wells and pipelines than lithium strip mines.

Also apparently the added weight wears out roads faster. So raise taxes to pay for replacements?

The tech isn’t where it needs to be both in terms of charging and range. It’s also not the “green savior” people think. I would rather have wells and pipelines than lithium strip mines.

Also apparently the added weight wears out roads faster. So raise taxes to pay for replacements?

There are a lot of arguments against EVs, but the weight of them wearing out roads faster is insane. You realize that most 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups weigh well more than even an R1T or a Lightning? Not to mention a Tesla, which is far more prominent on the roads, which doesn’t even weigh as much as a 1/2 ton pickup. If that’s the argument, we should ban trucks too. And what about semi trucks?

There are a lot of arguments against EVs, but the weight of them wearing out roads faster is insane. You realize that most 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups weigh well more than even an R1T or a Lightning? Not to mention a Tesla, which is far more prominent on the roads, which doesn’t even weigh as much as a 1/2 ton pickup. If that’s the argument, we should ban trucks too. And what about semi trucks?
To add to the weight issue, I have read articles that state the tire w are in EVs is higher overall due to battery weight and micro rubber is being shredded into the air at a faster rate than before. This, in turn, is leading to more environmental pollution.

Reactions: huntered
I almost bought a Rivian RS1 but luckily I did some very extensive research on the current state of EVs, charging stations and the market for them and decided to go with the Bronco Raptor instead. Best decision I could’ve made. New Ford Broncos are amazing vehicles, I absolutely love it. Not the best on gas mileage, but I knew that going in.

To add to the weight issue, I have read articles that state the tire w are in EVs is higher overall due to battery weight and micro rubber is being shredded into the air at a faster rate than before. This, in turn, is leading to more environmental pollution.

Their weight makes them poor off-road vehicles as well, they get stuck a lot more than ICE 4X4s. That’s why the Hummer EV (one of the best EVs on the market) ranks below the Ford Bronco, Jeep Rubicon and Chevy Tahoe for off road capability. Now the Hummer will smoke those other vehicles in a race, but it won’t be as effective in mud/ruts, fine dry sand or deep snow.

I almost bought a Rivian RS1 but luckily I did some very extensive research on the current state of EVs, charging stations and the market for them and decided to go with the Bronco Raptor instead. Best decision I could’ve made. New Ford Broncos are amazing vehicles, I absolutely love it. Not the best on gas mileage, but I knew that going in.
They make a Bronco Raptor? I’m a ford guy but I really wish they’d stop naming their products after reptiles.

They make a Bronco Raptor? I’m a ford guy but I really wish they’d stop naming their products after reptiles.

Yes they do and it’s awesome. Look it up, 419 horsepower twin turbo, it’s a bad mamajama. And I agree they could’ve at least gave the top end Bronco it’s own name, but no, it’s called Raptor like the F-150.

Yes they do and it’s awesome. Look it up, 419 horsepower twin turbo, it’s a bad mamajama. And I agree they could’ve at least gave the top end Bronco it’s own name, but no, it’s called Raptor like the F-150.
I own a 6.7 diesel but have considered looking into the 7.3 gasser but because it’s called Godzilla it makes me cringe.

Reactions: V-Doub
I own a 6.7 diesel but have considered looking into the 7.3 gasser but because it’s called Godzilla it makes me cringe.

That’s a beast of an engine. Honestly don’t know why any car company has to give a name to their engine. Just call it a 3.0L twin turbo 419 horsepower.

I was thinking about one, but I didn't want to pay $60k for a vehicle with that much road noise. Impressed you payed about $100k for it.

I was thinking about one, but I didn't want to pay $60k for a vehicle with that much road noise. Impressed you payed about $100k for it.

Little closer to 90k, but yeah. And the road noise is really minimal. I mean, it’s not quiet like a Tesla, but it’s nothing like the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. If you like road noise the Wrangler is king in that dept.

Little closer to 90k, but yeah. And the road noise is really minimal. I mean, it’s not quiet like a Tesla, but it’s nothing like the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. If you like road noise the Wrangler is king in that dept.
I want my vehicle to be extra quiet.

What's your avg mpg? 15?

It’s a pretty cool company. I’ve now seen three Rivian’s around Omaha in the last couple of days.

I think they’ve got a tough road ahead. Legacy auto makers are scaling back big time on EV due to a lack of interest and an inability to make it profitable. Rivian needs a huge influx of cash in the next 2 to 3 years to get over the hump until they can become profitable. Their cars are super expensive and we are headed into a pretty rough recession. Not a good time to be a start up auto company. I predict they don’t survive.

It’s a pretty cool company. I’ve now seen three Rivian’s around Omaha in the last couple of days.

I think they’ve got a tough road ahead. Legacy auto makers are scaling back big time on EV due to a lack of interest and an inability to make it profitable. Rivian needs a huge influx of cash in the next 2 to 3 years to get over the hump until they can become profitable. Their cars are super expensive and we are headed into a pretty rough recession. Not a good time to be a start up auto company. I predict they don’t survive.

IDK, guy on some financial talk show was saying (couple weeks ago) that a deal with apple and Rivian partnership might be in the works. Good for both parties if true, apple has the capitol to withstand anything so Rivian would become financially secure. Apple would be getting into the EV market and by-passing the development process. It would make sense, and if it happens the Rivian brand will be around forever.

Reactions: drubendall
IDK, guy on some financial talk show was saying (couple weeks ago) that a deal with apple and Rivian partnership might be in the works. Good for both parties if true, apple has the capitol to withstand anything so Rivian would become financially secure. Apple would be getting into the EV market and by-passing the development process. It would make sense, and if it happens the Rivian brand will be around forever.
Is Tesla going to get into the phone business? This is so dumb 🤣

I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense since they scrapped their own electric vehicle program last week. Better to take over Rivian than build from the ground up.

....we have 3(ish) in our hood. Not counting the Amazon van(s). Haha.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT