ADVERTISEMENT

Friday, February 18th: Nebraska at Sam Houston - (Huskers lose 8-5)

I know that play down the right field line was tough, but if you want to play elite 2nd base, that’s a play that you have to make.

Strikeout finishes this pig of an inning now down 8-5. We absolutely deserve this beating.

Just gotta tell yourself that it’s game 1 and this is most likely going to be the exception not the rule.

It will get clearer as the year unfolds, but this lineup feels like we have definitely taken a step back offensively. Hope the pitching and defense holds up because that will need to be our calling card this year I believe. Hope I’m wrong.

It will get clearer as the year unfolds, but this lineup feels like we have definitely taken a step back offensively. Hope the pitching and defense holds up because that will need to be our calling card this year I believe. Hope I’m wrong.
It was somewhat expected but maybe tonight will give us a better idea on the lineup. Chick has never been a top of the lineup guy so not sure why he’d start now. Gomes has been a nice surprise so maybe move him to 4 or 5 and Matthews to the 2 hole. Just one game though as everyone said but still pretty awful start.

Reactions: Nate004
Banjo is not a lead off guy. Looks slow. I don’t have an answer for lead off but I just don’t feel Banjo is that guy. Thoughts?

A walk ad a single puts runners on first and second with only the one out. Mason is on the mound for us.

Hope Shany gives us a better start tomorrow and even this series up. Only 7 inning affair for game one of the doubleheader tomorrow.

say thank you Bearkats for tonight’s gift.

Banjo down on strikes. Sorry guys, just don’t see him in that lead off position. I know, I’m a bit of a broken record.

Double for Max down the left field line off the fence. Only bright spot hitting tonight for us.

It will get clearer as the year unfolds, but this lineup feels like we have definitely taken a step back offensively.

Schwelly, Hallmark, Roskam, Hagge & Acker combined for 3,300 plate appearances & 725 starts - you just don't replace that in year 2 of a staff. I warned folks the leadership lost is gonna be tough to replace.

For peete's sake, we started a guy that hasn't picked up a bat since the fall of 2019. Luckily for us, and great for him, he had 3 hits.

I was vocal against Perry getting the nod in game 1 after Shay had, absolutely without question dominated, and more than earned the Friday night tag.

Let's see what happens the rest of the weekend before hitting the panic button. Tonight was bad, on many levels, against an inferior opponent.

And Caron is our top DH? Really?

Yes, for now. He had a big fall and has a bright future.

• Love
Reactions: sklarbodds
Definitely a Northern team vs. Southern team game #1 type of result.

No, folks need to put that to rest against inferior opponents. Illinois State traveled to Arkansas and beat them, 3-2. Maryland traveled to Baylor and won.

Northern v Southern had nothing to do with tonight's performance.

Reactions: Nate004
Would prefer to win a season opener for a change of pace but will expect the team to actually improve game to game, especially guys like Core Jackson and Josh Caron as they adjust to this level. Would be nice if everybody came up in their first at-bat as a freshman and figuratively shat right in the opposing pitcher's face like Max Anderson did last year but it ain't realistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrighteRed24
Sorry to be so negative. Just looked for more out of a preseason top pick for the Big Ten.
Eh one game never means anything.

With replacing so much you typically expect a slow start and then hopefully you improve as the season wears on

Reactions: HuskerJag
Banjo is not a lead off guy. Looks slow. I don’t have an answer for lead off but I just don’t feel Banjo is that guy. Thoughts?

That surprised me as well. I would of guessed Satori. If I had to explain it, I am thinking he's leading off because he takes a lot of pitches and works the count. He's going to have a few strikeouts but should get a lot of walks. Last year his OB was .391. We will probably see a lot of different lineups over the next few weeks? Personally, I would like to see Satori leading off with Banjoff in the bottom 3rd of the lineup. We shall see.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT