ADVERTISEMENT

Former NU HC Callahan and Bertha

itseasyas1-2-3

Recruiting Coordinator
Sep 6, 2021
Former NU HC Callahan has joined his son, who became the Titans HC, as the OL coach. Callahan has long been considered one of the best OL coaches in the business.

Callahan invented a padded blocking sled he refers to as "Bertha". The idea is the blocking sled does NOT move unless it is struck with the proper degree of angle from the OLman.

Seems like a really cool concept, and prove to be helpful in teaching a "perfect angle into contact". For example, the helmet and forearm placement as well as degree of angle and width of the feet an OLman needs to really drive a DLman backwards.

The short clip I watched was rookie lineman Latham, from Alabama, 6'4" 342 striking Bertha with the sled not moving, he then made a slight change in body angle and he then moved the sled. If nothing else, he is imposing more direct physical force on Bertha.

Time will tell if it is effective, but I could envision NU buying a dozen or so of this unit, and working the OL as a unit on specific plays which call for drive blocking. Maybe 6 sleds across the line from the OL and a TE and potentially teach each lineman the perfect angle they need to "get into" a DLmen's pads in order to move it.

Doesn't seem as though the OL coach actually has to "teach" the perfect angle, seems Bertha requires it in order to move.

Say the TE, LT, LG move the sled to their left and the C, LG, and LT move the sled to the right to create a hole in the middle, etc, etc.

Seems to me like something that might revoulutionize OL blocking. The issue being the DLmen are not stationary, but moving targets. However, once the OLman gets into contact, it would improve the total unit. Nothing would say you couldn't have the OLmen lined up slightly left or right of Bertha to simulate a DLmen who shifts either direction prior to the snap.

Obviously, a Teddy or Bryce at 6'9" or so would need a much sharper angle into contact than the 6'2" - 6'6" guys. Then the issue becomes striking a DLmen who might be 6'3" or 6'7" comes into play. Seems like the benefit would be by "feel."

I say NU buys a dozen of them bad boys. If Rhule, who loves teaching Offensive Linemen think they have application, I would not be surprised to see him tell the AD to pony up the money.

Former NU HC Callahan has joined his son, who became the Titans HC, as the OL coach. Callahan has long been considered one of the best OL coaches in the business.

Callahan invented a padded blocking sled he refers to as "Bertha". The idea is the blocking sled does NOT move unless it is struck with the proper degree of angle from the OLman.

Seems like a really cool concept, and prove to be helpful in teaching a "perfect angle into contact". For example, the helmet and forearm placement as well as degree of angle and width of the feet an OLman needs to really drive a DLman backwards.

The short clip I watched was rookie lineman Latham, from Alabama, 6'4" 342 striking Bertha with the sled not moving, he then made a slight change in body angle and he then moved the sled. If nothing else, he is imposing more direct physical force on Bertha.

Time will tell if it is effective, but I could envision NU buying a dozen or so of this unit, and working the OL as a unit on specific plays which call for drive blocking. Maybe 6 sleds across the line from the OL and a TE and potentially teach each lineman the perfect angle they need to "get into" a DLmen's pads in order to move it.

Doesn't seem as though the OL coach actually has to "teach" the perfect angle, seems Bertha requires it in order to move.

Say the TE, LT, LG move the sled to their left and the C, LG, and LT move the sled to the right to create a hole in the middle, etc, etc.

Seems to me like something that might revoulutionize OL blocking. The issue being the DLmen are not stationary, but moving targets. However, once the OLman gets into contact, it would improve the total unit. Nothing would say you couldn't have the OLmen lined up slightly left or right of Bertha to simulate a DLmen who shifts either direction prior to the snap.

Obviously, a Teddy or Bryce at 6'9" or so would need a much sharper angle into contact than the 6'2" - 6'6" guys. Then the issue becomes striking a DLmen who might be 6'3" or 6'7" comes into play. Seems like the benefit would be by "feel."

I say NU buys a dozen of them bad boys. If Rhule, who loves teaching Offensive Linemen think they have application, I would not be surprised to see him tell the AD to pony up the money.
How do you know they don’t have them already?

The thing I would question is the variability of how an actual D lineman attacks you and the variability in size and attack posture. No doubt it’s better than the old upside down car hood with a frame welded to it to mount the blocking dummies but….

The thing I would question is the variability of how an actual D lineman attacks you and the variability in size and attack posture. No doubt it’s better than the old upside down car hood with a frame welded to it to mount the blocking dummies but….
The success or failure of that equipment will be measured by actual improvement in blocking technique. I covered several of those scenarios in my post. I would think at the NFL level, the size and athletic talent of those players on the line of scrimmage is so great, any level of improvement has to matter.

I could see this equipment being more impactful in college because of the different talent levels from team to team.
Improvement in any aspect of the game is measured in small units, not giant leaps.

He oughta donate a few to our cause. We paid that fraud a lot of money.
For one thing, I despised Callahan as the NU head coach. But, I've never let my dislike or the fact I can't stand someone influence what they might do very well.

Letting personal perceptions of a head coach or any horse trainer cloud my decisions never enters my mind. I will always play to their proven strengths, and leave personalities out of the process.

We all have a long list of things Callahan did here that rubbed us the wrong way. It has nothing to do with that, IF this piece of equipment improves one of the most important position groups on the field. Betting on or against a coach/trainers personality because you don't like them, is not how to approach winning games or money.

With the Titans utilizing Bertha this year, it will either prove it helps blockers or it doesn't, it won't hinge on the fact that Callahan's son is the head coach. Otherwise, he may get sent packing from there just as his dad was fired from here.

The improvement or lack of improvement will define Bertha, not the person who invented it.

You guys really think Warren Sapp is going to put up with a device that eliminates his position's influence on the game? Meet William, it will put your Bertha angle in such a position that you'll think you hear a rabbit being gang banged by stray cats.

mqdefault.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
I hate this thread. It brought back all kinds of nightmares from the late 60's and blocking on a two-person sled.

As a player who was not quick off the mark, hitting that sled at the same time as the guy next to me and thus driving that sled in a straight line - which you had better do - took every ounce of concentration I possessed.

I failed frequently only to have to "take a lap around the goal posts" and get back up to the front of the line when I got back. Ugh...

You guys really think Warren Sapp is going to put up with a device that eliminates his position's influence on the game? Meet William, it will put your Bertha angle in such a position that you'll think you hear a rabbit being gang banged by stray cats.

mqdefault.jpg
At this point in their lives, Sapp and Perry are probably lucky to bend over and tie their own shoes.

Last edited:
I hate this thread. It brought back all kinds of nightmares from the late 60's and blocking on a two-person sled.

As a player who was not quick off the mark, hitting that sled at the same time as the guy next to me and thus driving that sled in a straight line - which you had better do - took every ounce of concentration I possessed.

I failed frequently only to have to "take a lap around the goal posts" and get back up to the front of the line when I got back. Ugh...
Im guessing that's why you're "S!ck of Practice"?

BC seems like a guy that is totally open to new ideas. I think he is the coach who sort of helped to get HUDL going.

For one thing, I despised Callahan as the NU head coach. But, I've never let my dislike or the fact I can't stand someone influence what they might do very well.

Letting personal perceptions of a head coach or any horse trainer cloud my decisions never enters my mind. I will always play to their proven strengths, and leave personalities out of the process.

We all have a long list of things Callahan did here that rubbed us the wrong way. It has nothing to do with that, IF this piece of equipment improves one of the most important position groups on the field. Betting on or against a coach/trainers personality because you don't like them, is not how to approach winning games or money.

With the Titans utilizing Bertha this year, it will either prove it helps blockers or it doesn't, it won't hinge on the fact that Callahan's son is the head coach. Otherwise, he may get sent packing from there just as his dad was fired from here.

The improvement or lack of improvement will define Bertha, not the person who invented it.
I think it’s going to be difficult for any of us to gauge the effect of his sled in improving his O line’s technique. His opinion is probably all that matters. My view would be that his daily coaching will be more important for their improvement than the sled.

For all of his problems at NU and with the Raiders, it would be ignorant to question BC’s intelligence and ability to evaluate and coach O linemen. One of my in-laws knew him in Lincoln and said the in private he was a good guy and very smart.

He oughta donate a few to our cause. We paid that fraud a lot of money
He tried here. He recruited his ass off. He got rid of the walk on program because he knew he couldn't supervise 3 or 4 different practices at the same time. That is 99.98 percent of the coaches out there. He was willing to part ways with his DC in 07 to get it fixed and was told no. I have no ill feelings towards him. He went with the wrong DC and that's all she wrote.

No question that piece of equipment will or won't prove its meddle in improving blocking technique. If it does, thats a good thing, if not, it will go on the trash heap of failed inventions.

With the amounts of money spent in big operations, a few hundred/thousands is a small price to pay in the event Bertha proves itself worthwhile.

As a contrarian, the money is a small price to pay "just in case" it improves overall performance.

BC seems like a guy that is totally open to new ideas. I think he is the coach who sort of helped to get HUDL going.
, didn’t Blake Lawrence and Adi kunalic spearhead HUDL? I could be wrong but those guys lived on my floor in 07, should’ve been a stage 5 clinger friend and I coulda been the door greeter for their businesses!

• Haha
Reactions: MargotDeeper

Sorry you didn't like this thread. Take a lap.

, didn’t Blake Lawrence and Adi kunalic spearhead HUDL? I could be wrong but those guys lived on my floor in 07, should’ve been a stage 5 clinger friend and I coulda been the door greeter for their businesses!
For some reason I don't think it was those two guys, not for HUDL. They have done a few other sports related things though.

Reactions: king_kong_
For some reason I don't think it was those two guys, not for HUDL. They have done a few other sports related things though.
Correct, believe theirs is/was some digital advertising or social media firm

Signed a contract with NU some years back for whatever it was

HUDL guys are UNL business school grads and got their start with an entrepreneurial incubator in Lincoln associated with the business school

Reactions: BTF69
My memory could be wrong but I believe the UNL students pitched the idea to Callahan and NU and Callahan loved it and bought the first subscription, which jump started the company. Callahan was definitely all in. I think he also suggested improvements.

My memory could be wrong but I believe the UNL students pitched the idea to Callahan and NU and Callahan loved it and bought the first subscription, which jump started the company. Callahan was definitely all in. I think he also suggested improvements.
That is correct.

Then Billy C went to the Jets and brought it there.

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT