ADVERTISEMENT

Experts

maplesyrup95

Junior
Nov 26, 2014
They say that if you do something for 10,000 hours you become an expert at it. That's how long it takes. In relation to Nebraska football, do you consider yourself an expert football watcher or watcher/analyst? I know I'm getting up there in hour count.

There's a difference between an expert at watching football and an expert on football. Too many people don't know the difference.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
There's a difference between an expert at watching football and an expert on football. Too many people don't know the difference.

Distinction without a difference, IMO. I could probably win a national title as a coach

No, you're not an expert unless you actually coach. It's impossible to critique any coach because he's a coach, and you're a looser (tMB) sitting in grandma's basement. Not only that, it's physically and mentally unattainable that someone who isn't a coach couldn't recruit. No matter your experience in dealing with youth, at all levels, and ability to communicate, sell and develop relationships, it's all for not since you're not a coach.

I've read it right here, on the internet thingy called HOL, from December 2007 to November 2014.

No, you're not an expert unless you actually coach. It's impossible to critique any coach because he's a coach, and you're a looser (tMB) sitting in grandma's basement. Not only that, it's physically and mentally unattainable that someone who isn't a coach couldn't recruit. No matter your experience in dealing with youth, at all levels, and ability to communicate, sell and develop relationships, it's all for not since you're not a coach.

I've read it right here, on the internet thingy called HOL, from December 2007 to November 2014.

I see what you did there
thinking_zpsfe027b7a.png

They say that if you do something for 10,000 hours you become an expert at it. That's how long it takes. In relation to Nebraska football, do you consider yourself an expert football watcher or watcher/analyst? I know I'm getting up there in hour count.

Well, expertise at what acquired skill?

10k hours is a ton of hours. That's 1250 entire work days of watching college level football. At maybe 2 work day equivalents per week of NCAA football, for however many weeks you can cram into a 4-5 month period, a dude is going to be pretty old before he eclipses that number just watching.

That's just watching for pure entertainment intake. That's not, oh I'm breaking down line play, or seeing how a defense rotates to motion, those kind of things. As a lay person, putting in 10k hours into really studying the intracies of the game as it appears on broadcast TV, may not happen in a lifetime unless you've dedicated yourself to the task.

One thing to note about that saying of 10k hours, that's just recognizing that if you do something alot, you've put in the due diligence to maximize your potential. Talent still has a lot to do with. There are dudes who will put in 10k hours practicing guitar, and won't eclipse McCartney, but they will probably be pretty good just because they've put in a ton of work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT