ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches deserve a lot of credit for their game plan

It's not that simple. How much emphasis did he put on it? Was it repeated? There's a lot of things a quarterback has to think about on every play, and it's not the easiest to hear every word when wearing a helmet and fans yelling. Did they go over that situation in practice? How does he know if it was an instruction or a recommendation? There are a lot of different factors and it all comes back to the coaches. You don't TELL someone to do something and expect them to do it perfectly. You COACH someone to do it if you want the desired result to actually happen.
Are you suggesting it was something they had never run before in practice? Why would DL even call a play they never practiced?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
It's not that simple. How much emphasis did he put on it? Was it repeated? There's a lot of things a quarterback has to think about on every play, and it's not the easiest to hear every word when wearing a helmet and fans yelling. Did they go over that situation in practice? How does he know if it was an instruction or a recommendation? There are a lot of different factors and it all comes back to the coaches. You don't TELL someone to do something and expect them to do it perfectly. You COACH someone to do it if you want the desired result to actually happen.

Did Pat Fitzgerald have do this with his quarterback at the end of the Nebraska game??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????? As a quarterback you understand that you DON'T stop the clock EVER in that situation.

Made to drive this point home about quarterback awareness and coaching...

Tommy made an incredible play at the end of the game. He took the sack INSTEAD of throwing the ball up for grabs against UCLA. Which could of easily been a pic- six.

Without going over the merits of your post I think one reason you are getting some heat in here has something to do with the thread title.

Tommy's legs really hurt the Bruins. Not that Big "O" wasn't running hard, Cross too for that matter, but Tommy ran the zone read very well Sat. If that TA showed up each game, we'd be tough for anyone to beat. His numbers would have been even more impressive if Reilly hadn't dropped that long pass (right in his hands), and Westy dropped one on a slant that would have been a big play too!

Very true. Good game, regardless.

Made to drive this point home about quarterback awareness and coaching...

Tommy made an incredible play at the end of the game. He took the sack INSTEAD of throwing the ball up for grabs against UCLA. Which could of easily been a pic- six.

I was thinking the same thing. It was a loss, but if he throws it up in desperation good chance it's a pick six. A int at best. I'm hoping he's able to corral that urge to make it happen when it's not there. We could easily be 9-4.

Reactions: red rover 70
Our best rushing game is the same game Tommy didn't throw even one pass up for grabs. He didn't throw one interception and threw controlled passes under 30 yards??? How some refuse to see the correlation must explain their support for Mr. Pelini even at the end???
This is probably the most pathetic use of the "Bo card" I have seen on this board

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
This is probably the most pathetic use of the "Bo card" I have seen on this board

Oh i can do worse then that...
You believed he was a good coach.
You thought he would grow into the job.
You liked his JV coaching staff.
You cheered him on as he yelled.
You made excuse after excuse for him.

Your kind are mindless fools who are incapable of looking at a situation and thinking for yourself.

Ahh I see the super secret running play - clever

Peyton Manning On Bootlegs

"In a November game where RB Edgerrin James was out with injury, Manning, who had never run for more than 26 yards in a game, again decided at the line of scrimmage to fake the handoff. He didn't tell his O-line, not even running back Dominic Rhodes, and hustled 33 yards for a touchdown. "That's an old Archie Manning special right there," he told the Indianapolis Star.

"Quarterback bootlegs are the best when nobody else knows," he said after the game. "It was a run play all the way. At the last minute, I saw their safety cheating to the side. They bit."

But what does he know?

My only quibble with the call, would be to call a boot away from the run action, not towards it. With run action towards it, the edge defender didn't crash in on the down blocks like he likely would have otherwise. In addition, the nearest linebacker (presumably the flats defender) didn't go out on Ozigbo, so Tommy had the edge defender and a linebacker in his face.

In a normal situation, trying to squeeze it between them to Ozigbo is the right idea. Could have run a long ways had it been caught. But, since it was not a normal situation, Tommy needed to do as he was told, eat the play and let the clock run. Which is exactly what he did late in the bowl game when the QB counter play (I think) was blown up and he scrambled and looked like he was about to chuck up a duck.

One of the reasons why you always have your QB carry out a fake on a running play is exactly so you can tell him to keep it, and run a boot without having had to actually install it. A boot pass or waggle pass SHOULD work the same way. Yes, there will be routes, but let them run off their defenders and you keep.

Peyton Manning On Bootlegs

"In a November game where RB Edgerrin James was out with injury, Manning, who had never run for more than 26 yards in a game, again decided at the line of scrimmage to fake the handoff. He didn't tell his O-line, not even running back Dominic Rhodes, and hustled 33 yards for a touchdown. "That's an old Archie Manning special right there," he told the Indianapolis Star.

"Quarterback bootlegs are the best when nobody else knows," he said after the game. "It was a run play all the way. At the last minute, I saw their safety cheating to the side. They bit."

But what does he know?

My only quibble with the call, would be to call a boot away from the run action, not towards it. With run action towards it, the edge defender didn't crash in on the down blocks like he likely would have otherwise. In addition, the nearest linebacker (presumably the flats defender) didn't go out on Ozigbo, so Tommy had the edge defender and a linebacker in his face.

In a normal situation, trying to squeeze it between them to Ozigbo is the right idea. Could have run a long ways had it been caught. But, since it was not a normal situation, Tommy needed to do as he was told, eat the play and let the clock run. Which is exactly what he did late in the bowl game when the QB counter play (I think) was blown up and he scrambled and looked like he was about to chuck up a duck.

One of the reasons why you always have your QB carry out a fake on a running play is exactly so you can tell him to keep it, and run a boot without having had to actually install it. A boot pass or waggle pass SHOULD work the same way. Yes, there will be routes, but let them run off their defenders and you keep.
Good stuff, one thing to add, I believe it was Cethan Carter that was suppose to motion which obviously would've made a difference. Still, I believe we had a timeout or two, let the play clock run down and use one to assure everyone is on the same page.

Kind of like you and terrible people? Still so tiny...
And yet, you don't have an ounce of knowledge to challenge a damn thing stated. Just like blo and sno, all talk.

Without going over the merits of your post I think one reason you are getting some heat in here has something to do with the thread title.
Often I forget what the thread is even about and just reply when I have an opinion on what a guy says. Yes, the coaches did call a very good game.

Good stuff, one thing to add, I believe it was Cethan Carter that was suppose to motion which obviously would've made a difference. Still, I believe we had a timeout or two, let the play clock run down and use one to assure everyone is on the same page.

That makes sense.

I had forgotten how rushed that play was to get off, before I went back and watched it. Tommy got under center with 5 seconds on the play clock. I guess that's the other quibble...like you said...use a timeout once you've got the play clock down to :01 and regroup. We had all 3 still.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
When you run 62 Times and pass 19 there is little margin for error as opposed to the travesty of playcalling at Illinois. Hopefully DL has learned this.

We can only hope Langsdorf has learned this...we won't know until the 2016 season begins.

You right rrt. Hopefully Langs quits calling the bombs away deep passes with your eyes closed. Those designed plays really suck.

I am not a big fan of the spin to the left, throw off the back foot, deep pass into a strong wind. Never really liked that play call. Winking

Are you suggesting it was something they had never run before in practice? Why would DL even call a play they never practiced?
No, I'm not suggesting that, but they run a lot of stuff in practice. It's the emphasis that is put on it, and if you have a qb that is prone to making that kind of error, you need to drill it so that he doesn't make a mistake like that. Maybe the coaches could spend more time emphasizing the mental aspect of the game. If he's not coachable, he needs to be coached how to be coachable. If he still makes a mistake, the coaches need to find somebody to replace him or live with the consequences. It all comes back to the coaches and what we saw against UCLA was very good coaching.

And yet, you don't have an ounce of knowledge to challenge a damn thing stated. Just like blo and sno, all talk.
Well Timbo, first I guess I would have to believe any of the things you say. I don't, therefore, I don't consider your posts 'knowledge' and I don't feel it necessary to waste my time combatting with a wanna-be insider.

But since you asked, if I am an OC in that situation I call a run play. Not a run play that looks like a pass or a run/pass option or anything that has the word pass in it. I would have a go to play that we would have repped repeatedly in practice that took all confusion out of it. I also would have called a timeout when I realized there was confusion pre-snap. That being said, I think DL probably learned from it and will do better going forward.

None of those things happened but keep trying to shove your OPINION down other posters' throats because that's what they are. They're not facts nor knowledge. They're your thoughts which is enough for me to not agree.

He didn't throw one pass up for grabs in this game!

He threw a fade in to the end zone and if I recall correctly the first set of hands to touch that ball were the DB's. Aside from that I thought he did pretty well with managing his throws.

I do agree that watching us run the ball like that was awesome. But we also won the turnover battle 2-1. How many games did we lose this year where we lost the turnovers, and they cost us big time? Without looking it up I'm pretty sure it was most of our losses.

Should have been 2-0...

He threw a fade in to the end zone and if I recall correctly the first set of hands to touch that ball were the DB's. Aside from that I thought he did pretty well with managing his throws.

Tommy finally looked like a quarterback who has been coached by a NFL QB coach. His play was outstanding.

Last edited:
Well Timbo, first I guess I would have to believe any of the things you say. I don't, therefore, I don't consider your posts 'knowledge' and I don't feel it necessary to waste my time combatting with a wanna-be insider.
No insider, nothing wanna-be about it, proof is in the pudding, over 11 years.

But since you asked, if I am an OC in that situation I call a run play. Not a run play that looks like a pass or a run/pass option or anything that has the word pass in it. I would have a go to play that we would have repped repeatedly in practice that took all confusion out of it. I also would have called a timeout when I realized there was confusion pre-snap. That being said, I think DL probably learned from it and will do better going forward.

None of those things happened but keep trying to shove your OPINION down other posters' throats because that's what they are. They're not facts nor knowledge. They're your thoughts which is enough for me to not agree.

You're late to the party, twice, in this very thread...

HuskerTimOmaha said:
It's not the play call I prefer

HuskerTimOmaha said:
Still, I believe we had a timeout or two, let the play clock run down and use one to assure everyone is on the same page.

Go ahead, claim you don't agree with me but then, agree with me. Can't make this stuff up.

RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaugh

Reactions: Yossarian23
You're late to the party, twice, in this very thread...

Go ahead, claim you don't agree with me but then, agree with me. Can't make this stuff up.

RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaugh
I noticed you conveniently left out the part about coining a term that uses a negative connotation on the mentally handicapped. I'm sure you will continue to do this by saying I have gone full potato, like a 12 year old, and continue to pound your chest. Just a bad human being...

I noticed you conveniently left out the part about coining a term that uses a negative connotation on the mentally handicapped. I'm sure you will continue to do this by saying I have gone full potato, like a 12 year old, and continue to pound your chest. Just a bad human being...

No reason to, it's pretty obvious you just bitch slapped yourself, for everyone to see.

No reason to, it's pretty obvious you just bitch slapped yourself, for everyone to see.
Oh and since your comprehension is lacking, I never said I disagreed. I said they were your opinions yet you attack others for having their own. What's nice is that you will continue to be you and reveal the kind of person you truly are. I don't have to do a thing

Oh and since your comprehension is lacking, I never said I disagreed. I said they were your opinions yet you attack others for having their own. What's nice is that you will continue to be you and reveal the kind of person you truly are. I don't have to do a thing

Nice try, I'll remind you...

JHball said:

RollingLaugh

And in the very thread you say, "enough for me to not agree", you actually agree, without even knowing it. Gawd damn man, one can't make this up, straight up awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT