ADVERTISEMENT

CFB expected to add

Al Gore actually invented the headset and advocated its use in college football.
giphy.gif

Intersting, their going to use a 2 minute warning, is that suppose to make up for the stopping of the clock after 1st downs to move the marker (chains).

Is this for both halves?

Intersting, their going to use a 2 minute warning, is that suppose to make up for the stopping of the clock after 1st downs to move the marker (chains).

Is this for both halves?

Two-minute timeout​

The committee proposed adding an automatic timeout when two minutes remain in the second and fourth quarters.

This recommendation synchronizes all timing rules, such as 10-second runoffs and stopping the clock when a first down is gained in bounds, which coincides with the two-minute timeout.

"The two-minute timeout will allow all end-of-half and end-of-game timing rules to be simplified and synch up with this timeout," said Steve Shaw, secretary-rules editor. "This will also help broadcast partners to avoid back-to-back media timeouts."

Football Rules Committee proposes technology rules

Two-minute timeout​

The committee proposed adding an automatic timeout when two minutes remain in the second and fourth quarters.

This recommendation synchronizes all timing rules, such as 10-second runoffs and stopping the clock when a first down is gained in bounds, which coincides with the two-minute timeout.

"The two-minute timeout will allow all end-of-half and end-of-game timing rules to be simplified and synch up with this timeout," said Steve Shaw, secretary-rules editor. "This will also help broadcast partners to avoid back-to-back media timeouts."

Appreciate it.

OTHER RULES PROPOSALS​

• Allowing conferences the option of using a collaborative replay review system. This would be formally added to the rules book; it has been an experimental rule.
  • Penalizing horse-collar tackles that occur within the tackle box as a 15-yard personal foul. Currently, a horse-collar tackle within the tackle box is not a foul.
  • Permanently allowing head coaches to conduct interviews with broadcast partners after the first and third quarters. This was allowed on an experimental basis last season.
Other Rules Proposals

Last edited:
helmet communication is a positive, long overdue.
nothing wrong with tablet technology.
2-minute warning is one of sports dumbest moments - it started when official time was kept on the field. just another in-stadium boring delay for fans waiting yet another 3-minute tv commercial.

2-minute warning is one of sports dumbest moments - it started when official time was kept on the field. just another in-stadium boring delay for fans waiting yet another 3-minute tv commercial.
Yea, we’ll it’s extra time outs, I rather prefer to have the clock stopped on all 1st downs and let the head official start continue starting the clock.

If they want to shorten CFB games take away the 20 min halftimes. Get that number closer to NFL halftimes. We don't need games 4 hours long.

Reactions: Truewooper
If they want to shorten CFB games take away the 20 min halftimes. Get that number closer to NFL halftimes. We don't need games 4 hours long.
agree that games are too long. shortening halftime five minutes would still allow band performances. i favored the clock running after first downs change. there's no reason to have stoppage other than lengthening an already too long event. that was a good move to my mind. but the 2-minute warning negates it, stupid on dumb.

20 minute halftimes in college have more to do with the tradition of college marching bands..

Wait, you guys want SHORTER games? Why?
CFB is exciting, fun and entertaining. It is not boring like baseball.

For me CFB games and golfing are similar in that...

When me and my friends are golfing I start to get "sad" around the 14th hole when I know the round is almost done and all our BS'ing and joking around and fun is about over.

Same with CFB games with my friends, when that 4th quarter hits and the end of the game is close, it sucks.

When me and my friends are golfing I start to get "sad" around the 14th hole when I know the round is almost done and all our BS'ing and joking around and fun is about over.
Laughing I look forward to the 18th hole so we can play the 19th hole..
Which is just as fun sometimes funnier..

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69

Same with CFB games with my friends, when that 4th quarter hits and the end of the game is close, it sucks.
there's nothing worse in-game than sitting on one's arse watching the 3:00 dude in the red hate and yeller vest walk out on the field for the umpteenth time in the fourth quarter with the score 35-0..

OTHER RULES PROPOSALS​

• Allowing conferences the option of using a collaborative replay review system. This would be formally added to the rules book; it has been an experimental rule.
  • Penalizing horse-collar tackles that occur within the tackle box as a 15-yard personal foul. Currently, a horse-collar tackle within the tackle box is not a foul.
  • Permanently allowing head coaches to conduct interviews with broadcast partners after the first and third quarters. This was allowed on an experimental basis last season.
Other Rules Proposals
Don't like additional 2 or 3

there's nothing worse in-game than sitting on one's arse watching the 3:00 dude in the red hate and yeller vest walk out on the field for the umpteenth time in the fourth quarter with the score 35-0..
I mean...I can think of a few things that are worse than watching FB game with my friends, pounding some beers and having fun.

Two-minute timeout​

What about the rule for adjusting the clock on every play that goes out of bounds instead of just at the end of a game when the higher ranked team needs a break.

The biggest reason for the long games is media time outs , years ago when tv wasn’t showing every game they were shorter, then you throw in the instant replay review that takes 5+ minutes where fans watching on tv can see the outcome in a minute

The biggest reason for the long games is media time outs , years ago when tv wasn’t showing every game they were shorter, then you throw in the instant replay review that takes 5+ minutes where fans watching on tv can see the outcome in a minute
Ads pay the TV $$

Trev advocated the two minute warning to shorten games. When he talked about on Nebraska Sports Nightly a couple months ago he maintains that if broadcasters KNOW they are going to have the two minute warning break they won't have to jamb commercials in like following the ensuing KO after there was already a commercial break after the TD. Don't know if I believe it, but he thinks the two minute warning will SHORTEN games.

Reactions: blackshirts25
Rhule has mentioned that he wants the team to be on the west side of the field to stop other teams from stealing signals from the pressbox. NU is on the east side due to more room for when there were 150 players dressed with all the walkons. Rhule also mentioned in early fall the east side is in direct sun while the west side gets some shade from the pressbox and is cooler.

So I wonder if now that signals can't be stolen, Rhule will ease up on wanting to move to the west side.

Reactions: king_kong_
Rhule has mentioned that he wants the team to be on the west side of the field to stop other teams from stealing signals from the pressbox. NU is on the east side due to more room for when there were 150 players dressed with all the walkons. Rhule also mentioned in early fall the east side is in direct sun while the west side gets some shade from the pressbox and is cooler.

So I wonder if now that signals can't be stolen, Rhule will ease up on wanting to move to the west side.
Had much more to do with early season heat than signal stealing

And I hope they do make the move

We’ll take all the home field advantages we can get

I sit on the east side. Will be strange from a personal perspective if they make the switch.

I sit on the east side. Will be strange from a personal perspective if they make the switch.
I agree. I sit on the east side too. If they make the switch both teams will have to cross the field to and from locker rooms. We did, then with the new locker room this year we didn't, but if we go to the west side, we will again.

I agree. I sit on the east side too. If they make the switch both teams will have to cross the field to and from locker rooms. We did, then with the new locker room this year we didn't, but if we go to the west side, we will again.
I try to take the kids down to the sideline during warm-ups. They like to look at how big the lineman are. I'm sure they'll want to see DR this year too.

I think the sun is a bigger issue.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT