ADVERTISEMENT

2022 pre-season talk + SHSU travel roster + in-season discussion

Do we think Cam will stick at 2nd b/c, you know, Core Jackson.

My guess is wherever he is most needed, but if Core can hold down 2nd then that should allow Cam to play an outfield role. Sounds like Sartori will start out in CF which makes sense.

Reactions: DiceManHusker

Am I the only one bummed that the GA seats in the outfield are officially gone? I know it'll never have the nostalgia of a Rosenblatt but good lord they are doing their best to erase any and all traditions.

I'm still awaiting the day the organist is replaced by pop country artists like Florida Georgia line.

Reactions: Can o' corn

Once the boys left for winter break, with the assumption his grades were good enough and he returned, 2b was Core Jackson's to lose. It was confirmed to me this past weekend. Since the picture was taken inside the AG Center, I assume Chick is getting IF work since you can't do both IF & OF at the same time. (Boy, do we need a new facility)

IF: Anderson - Matthews - Jackson - TBD
In the mix: Cervantes - Randazzo
OF: Jessen/Sartori/Chick/Anglim/TBD
C: Everitt - Caron
DH: Caron - Everitt - Banjoff

It's nothing earth shattering, this is what was given to me 2 weeks ago, but I don't have a complete update since. Just bits and pieces which isn't enough to say for sure.

We really need someone to step in and up at 1B and allow Gomes to be our dude out of the bullpen. His arm is extremely beneficial to us in 2022. Now, if he can hit .260 or better with 2021 Roskam extra base hit numbers then disregard the previous 2 sentences. Haha

1. (Boy, do we need a new facility)

2. We really need someone to step in and up at 1B and allow Gomes to be our dude out of the bullpen.
1. Amen to that! Time to upgrade baseball facilities big time and drag the Big 10 up with us.

2. I thought Banjoff was gonna be the guy there.

I could see Cam playing quite a bit of COF & 2B. Allows for guys to rest their legs a day and increases his draft stock a bit.

COF, as in CF? Cam is a defensive liability, OF & IF, so whatever we get out of him defensively is a bonus. I don't think he has much of a draft stock, if any at all. He's gonna need to put up monstrous numbers in 2022 to even get a sniff.

I don't say this to degrade him either. Cam is a phenomenal human and great teammate.

COF, as in CF? Cam is a defensive liability, OF & IF, so whatever we get out of him defensively is a bonus. I don't think he has much of a draft stock, if any at all. He's gonna need to put up monstrous numbers in 2022 to even get a sniff.

I don't say this to degrade him either. Cam is a phenomenal human and great teammate.
I think he meant corner OF.

But we definitely need his bat. I wondered if he wouldn't be a DH candidate

In addition to being a stellar teammate Cam also improved his FLD% by ~100 pts last year on nearly double the tries (2021 vs 2019). Still a bit of a drag on the team average but only a little, .938% for him vs team .979%.

Really like that kid and hope he continues to improve. Needs to raise that batting average though, .260 won't earn any brags in the B1G.

BTW, while cruising the stats for Cam's numbers I noticed that Hallmark didn't start one game. He played in it but didn't start. Anyone remember why?

BTW, while cruising the stats for Cam's numbers I noticed that Hallmark didn't start one game. He played in it but didn't start. Anyone remember why?

What year? He started many games in 2018, 2019 & the shortened 2020. He had to of been close to 100 starts heading in to 2021.

Based on my previous post, I'm probably bombing your question. It's one of those days.

What year? He started many games in 2018, 2019 & the shortened 2020. He had to of been close to 100 starts heading in to 2021.

Based on my previous post, I'm probably bombing your question. It's one of those days.
Last year. He played 48/48 games but started just 47. I seem to remember a hand injury, maybe he got in late as a pinch runner.

I often remember dumb little things like that but drew a blank on this one.

Last year. He played 48/48 games but started just 47. I seem to remember a hand injury, maybe he got in late as a pinch runner.

I often remember dumb little things like that but drew a blank on this one.

I'm the same way with dumb little things.

Pretty sure it was the 4 game series in Minnesota against Iowa & Ohio State. I'm thinking he came out of the pen one of these games & it was pre-planned.

Reactions: saluno22 and k9_r
Sam Houston message board on Nebraska series has a few tidbits.

Sounds like they will have some speed and will be contact hitters vs power. Pitching staff throws hard.

A couple of comments about fall scrimmage with Rice which they won.
http://www.katfans.com/katsforum/showthread.php?23164-It-s-Game-Day

Also another thread had a comment about the Incarnate Word scrimmage. The remark was that Sam Houston juco pickups looked good in that game.

They return a fair amount of experience pitching and offense/defense. (Similar to Nebraska I think.) Should be a good test.

Last edited:
Sam Houston message board on Nebraska series has a few tidbits.

Sounds like they will have some speed and will be contact hitters vs power. Pitching staff throws hard.

A couple of comments about fall scrimmage with Rice which they won.
http://www.katfans.com/katsforum/showthread.php?23164-It-s-Game-Day

Also another thread had a comment about the Incarnate Word scrimmage. The remark was that Sam Houston juco pickups looked good in that game.

They return a fair amount of experience pitching and offense/defense. (Similar to Nebraska I think.) Should be a good test.
Yeah, SHSU is a scrappy team with a Regional habit (five appearances in the last ten years) due to grabbing the Southland AQ spot and in 2017 they won the TTU regional for a Super Regional spot. They also beat Erstad's last team (2019).

They can play ball but if we are who we think we are we'll need to win this four game series.

This is a good time to ask everyone what do you think of our non-con schedule?

Obviously TCU is the big gun along with Long Beach St who is getting just as much love in the preseason polls as we are.
Adding in...
SHSU (four games)
NW St/Arlington (two games each)
Corpus Christi (Michigan opens with them)
And BYU in April (B1G bye week - four games)
Midweek games...
NM St (two games)
South Dakota St
Creighton (twice)
Omaha, N Dakota St, KSU and Oral Roberts (one game each)

At first glance then a second and third I'm thinking it is quite a bit weaker than Erstad's usual fare. And I like that. Also glad that TCU is not getting top 8 love this year.

I've always hated a tough non-con schedule where we would drag a bunch of Ls into conference play. The last several years the B1G has gotten 3-5 teams into the regionals and has been garnering a glimmer of respect. Pile up the Ws then work the conference schedule to a host spot. Can be done.

A few years ago Illinois ran a super weak non-con thing into a National 8 seed. I watched that and thought Erstad should have been doing that as well.

I looked at last year's quad ranking for this years non-con to give me a starting point. It's mostly meaningless because it's old data but thought it might give me a 50,000 foot view of the teams? ehh.

Quad 1: 3 games neutral site (N)
TCU -3n

Quad 2: 5 games = 4 home(H), 1 away(A)
KSU 1a, LBS 3h, NDSU - 1h

Quad 3: 9 games = 2h, 2n, 5a
SHS 4a, Cu - 1a, ORU 1h, CU -1h, UTA - 2n

Quad 4: 13 games = 10H,2n,1A
Omaha - 1a, NWst- 2n, SDSU - 1 h, byu 4h, corpus 3H, NMst 2h

I think it's an okay schedule but not great. I like the KSU away game and I wish we would schedule Missouri, KU, Wichita State or the close Missouri valley teams for the open date/midweeks as they give you better quad potential. I am hoping BYU and NW state are a little better this year so they become quad 3 teams. (but not too good!) That would help some. If Sam Houston can jump up to quad 2 that would really help. So to answer the question, I want a schedule that is a little tougher than this one but easier than an Erstad one. The schedule is not to far off though.

Obviously TCU is the big gun along with Long Beach St who is getting just as much love in the preseason polls as we are.
Adding in...
SHSU (four games)
Midweek games...
NM St (two games)
South Dakota St
Creighton (twice)

At first glance then a second and third I'm thinking it is quite a bit weaker than Erstad's usual fare. And I like that. Also glad that TCU is not getting top 8 love this year.

I've always hated a tough non-con schedule where we would drag a bunch of Ls into conference play. The last several years the B1G has gotten 3-5 teams into the regionals and has been garnering a glimmer of respect. Pile up the Ws then work the conference schedule to a host spot. Can be done.

A few years ago Illinois ran a super weak non-con thing into a National 8 seed. I watched that and thought Erstad should have been doing that as well.
I think we have a good mix of competition and “gimmes” to get us ready to defend our conference title.

The schedule will be better going forward. Not having non-conference games in 2021 impacted what we could do in 2022. A lot of schools already had contracts or were deep in discussions and unwilling to agree with us due to the B1G and their ridiculous decision for last season.

We had a pretty good 2021 schedule ghosted up and those opponents were left scrambling. I can definitely see an Oklahoma State home/away series in the near future.

Not sure if coach will cover it or not today, but sounds like we have a freshmen arm or two that are struggling to juggle everything and haven't practiced lately. Slim chance of traveling the first weekend. Not a good thing after a solid fall with everyone.

Adding in...
SHSU (four games)
Midweek games...
NM St (two games)
South Dakota St
Creighton (twice)

I just hope the BYU series is part of a home and home so I can see us play in 2023.

Travel rosters can be 30 guys for this year.

So how many pitchers do you bring? 14 or 15 or 16?

Travel rosters can be 30 guys for this year.

So how many pitchers do you bring? 14 or 15 or 16?

Last year, with a 32-guy travel, we carried 14-15 PO's plus we need to include Schwellenbach & to a lesser extent Hallmark in the numbers. So half our travel roster in 2021 were P's.

2020, we had 29 go to Baylor & Arizona State with 13 PO's each weekend. San Diego, I believe 15 of 31 were PO's.

2019 & before is irrelevant, different staff.

Diving deeper:
4 starting IF'er plus 3 back-ups.
3 starting OF'er plus 2 back-ups.
2 starting catchers plus back-up & bullpen.
That's 16, which leaves 14 P's. Someone like Chick is beneficial as he can play IF & OF plus (gasp) Gomes at 1B so it should be 14 minimum, up to 15 but I can't imagine more than that.

My guess for SHSU weekend:
Schanaman, Perry, McCarville, Bragg, Martin, Bunz, Olson, Ornelas, Bradford, Frank, Feekin, Gomes, Christo & Brockett. 7 each LHP & RHP. So there's my 14, with Mason as the next if we take 15. Man, this sucks as I thought Benson had a nice fall and could fill a role similar to 2020 with Dederick. All of this assuming 30 is the number.

Last edited:
Could have a student manager do bullpen and take Mason.

I'm likely heavy on my 5 subs between IF & OF as we have Chick that plays both plus Cervantes can play all IF positions at a very high level & lastly we have Gomes in an emergency at 1B. So it's likely we take 4 total back-ups instead of the 5 listed. I assume the last pitching spot is between Mason & Benson for SHSU. But, what happens if Jelkin gets out of the self-inflicted doghouse? He's a top 5 pitcher for us, without a doubt, after the fall season. Maybe Feekin is the odd man out, his velocity wasn't good at any point in the fall.

We took Wessel, as a redshirt, all of 2021 and he counted against the travel number. I don't believe he's healthy for 2022 & anticipate he'll be our bullpen guy once again.

Outside of regionals, I don't believe any student managers have traveled under coach Bolt.

Last edited:
I'm likely heavy on my 5 subs between IF & OF as we have Chick that plays both plus Cervantes can play all IF positions at a very high level & lastly we have Gomes in an emergency at 1B. So it's likely we take 4 total back-ups instead of the 5 listed. I assume the last pitching spot is between Mason & Benson for SHSU. But, what happens if Jelkin gets out of the self-inflicted doghouse? He's a top 5 pitcher for us, without a doubt, after the fall season. Maybe Feekin is the odd man out, his velocity wasn't good at any point in the fall.

We took Wessel, as a redshirt, all of 2021 and he counted against the travel number. I don't believe he's healthy for 2022 & anticipate he'll be our bullpen guy once again.

Outside of regionals, I don't believe any student managers have traveled under coach Bolt.

Very informative post, I appreciate it.

Also correction to be made on my part... I think the limit is 32, the same as last year. My memory fails me as I age.

Last edited:
Is Max going to be using some new eyewear this year? Looks like they might give a better field of vision? Did Banjoff get lasik last year? I am still trying to figure out the eyewear in Minnesota.

Reactions: k9_r
35 traveling.

OF - Anglim, Banjoff, Sartori, Jessen
Chick

IF - Anderson, Chick, Cervantes, Mathews, Petersen, Steihl, Jackson, Swanson

C - Everitt, Caron, Wimmers, Wessel

RHP - Schanaman, Gomes, Bragg, McCarville, Frank, Christo, Ornelas, Mason, Jelkin, Hood, Hawkins

LHP - Perry, Bradford, Olson, Bunz, Martin, Brockett, Feekin, Benson

Couple notes:
As mentioned above, Randazzo is officially gone. Palmer, Guthmiller & Walsh are the only players on the roster that aren't traveling this weekend. Bunz is questionable, something in his neck not related to the Arkansas Regional (sorry, had to, but it is something with his neck). Jelkin missed a full week of practice due to his immaturity but he is traveling.

35 traveling.

OF - Anglim, Banjoff, Sartori, Jessen
Chick

IF - Anderson, Chick, Cervantes, Mathews, Petersen, Steihl, Jackson, Swanson

C - Everitt, Caron, Wimmers, Wessel

RHP - Schanaman, Gomes, Bragg, McCarville, Frank, Christo, Ornelas, Mason, Jelkin, Hood, Hawkins

LHP - Perry, Bradford, Olson, Bunz, Martin, Brockett, Feekin, Benson

Couple notes:
As mentioned above, Randazzo is officially gone. Palmer, Guthmiller & Walsh are the only players on the roster that aren't traveling this weekend. Bunz is questionable, something in his neck not related to the Arkansas Regional (sorry, had to, but it is something with his neck). Jelkin missed a full week of practice due to his immaturity but he is traveling.
What happened with Randazzo?

Reactions: sklarbodds
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT