ADVERTISEMENT

2016: 7 Scholly QBs

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
I know, not a sure thing, but on paper at the moment, it might happen. Has this ever happened before?

BC had a ton of scholly QB's. I thought someone was throwing around 9.

I believe after the 1967 season Coach Bob Devaney brought in 5 qb's to really lift the position; not sure how many that gave them ( Tagge , Van Bronson, Jeff Kinney - became an rb ; other two ended up great db's ).

It has been suggested that there are departures coming down the pipe beyond the 3 we recently learned of. I wouldn't be surprised if a 4th string QB was among them. I don't know anything, I'm just guessing that a couple of those guys look to have been passed up by Darlington and Bush and it makes me suspect that perhaps they transfer to FCS or DII.

It has been suggested that there are departures coming down the pipe beyond the 3 we recently learned of. I wouldn't be surprised if a 4th string QB was among them. I don't know anything, I'm just guessing that a couple of those guys look to have been passed up by Darlington and Bush and it makes me suspect that perhaps they transfer to FCS or DII.

He can't run off the walk-ons!

These are the scholarship QB's In 2016:

SR- Tom Arm-so-Strong the 2nd
JR- NONE
SO- AJ loves him some Bush, The Ball Park at Darlington
FR- Shamus O'Brien, Terrence the Lionheart Wilson

I'm seeing 5 QB's in 2016 and one in Darlington who will always be a concussion risk.

Stanton is already transferring this Summer.
Ryker won't be here in 2016.

These are the scholarship QB's In 2016:

SR- Tom Arm-so-Strong the 2nd
JR- NONE
SO- AJ loves him some Bush, The Ball Park at Darlington
FR- Shamus O'Brien, Terrence the Lionheart Wilson

I'm seeing 5 QB's in 2016 and one in Darlington who will always be a concussion risk.

Stanton is already transferring this Summer.
Ryker won't be here in 2016.
As of now, Stanton is here and so is Ryker. So, 7.

Hopefully they'll honor it if he doesn't want to transfer. If they're honest with him and tell him that his odds of playing are not good, but he wants to stay anyhow, there's probably some other way they can make the numbers work. There is always attrition for one reason or another. I'd think he could play at a smaller school, but maybe he wants to be at NU.

My guess is Stanton transfers, and that is all you will see for change at the position this summer.

For 2016, Fyfe would be a senior, so not sure they would pull his scholly like that.

Darlington, I have no idea if they are even fully considering him a viable option or not, and the school honored his scholarship after the concussions, so I don't think you could pull it now without looking like the bad guy.

There is no way they move Bush to another position.. they absolutely love his arm

Tommy isn't going to transfer, but I have a hard time seeing him as the starter for the next 2 years.

My guess is, you're going to see Armstrong and Bush this year, and if you need a 3rd QB it's probably Fyfe.

My guess is Stanton transfers, and that is all you will see for change at the position this summer.

For 2016, Fyfe would be a senior, so not sure they would pull his scholly like that.

Darlington, I have no idea if they are even fully considering him a viable option or not, and the school honored his scholarship after the concussions, so I don't think you could pull it now without looking like the bad guy.

There is no way they move Bush to another position.. they absolutely love his arm

Tommy isn't going to transfer, but I have a hard time seeing him as the starter for the next 2 years.

My guess is, you're going to see Armstrong and Bush this year, and if you need a 3rd QB it's probably Fyfe.
If darlington proves himself worthy, he will play. Why can't people understand that?

Reactions: jackie_moon33
In the WH article the other day; TA was ranked in that Middle group that needed to excel to make their teams successful. An insert showed the rankings of the O-lines for the teams. Its stated we were ranked 108th nationally as an o-line: unreal. Haven't seen comments on this; but sets our coaches up for some awards perceptually, if things come true.

So I guess we really didn't determine an answer. So as of now, next year we have 7 scholly QBs.

I guess it's weird I need to point this out but it's a Husker football message board.

"
Well O'Brien and Wilson aren't here so 5
Dear Lord. Check the thread title, chief."

Yah, I think there's probably more important things to argue about in the Husker football realm, than whether two guys who are a summer workout, fall camp, football season, football post-season away, count as 5 or 7 total scholarship QB's for next year in a hypothetical right now if they were even to sign a NLI.

Especially when a mod has indicated that the assumption of all who are actually on the roster remaining is very unlikely.

My position on how one defines "scholarship" remains more rooted with Corn and scorch, we have 5 scholly QB's now, and potentially 2 more later absent any of the previous defections. So my opinion on the nit pick of 5 vs 7 is, we have 5 and we very likely won't get to 7 next year. The only number that really matters to me, is 3, the number who will get any snaps at all this fall camp, if at all during the season.

I think something that is interesting conjecture, is how does the TA problem sort itself out. Supposing Wilson is the real deal, and can match TA's mobility with a better passing game, how does Riley match that with what will probably be a pretty successful season for TA this year? He's probably going to win between 9-11 games, although he likely won't win any hardware. Can MR in year 2, jettison an experienced QB with 3 years of 9 win seasons under his belt, for a freshman who plays the style of ball MR likes? Or does MR have to ride a running game and defense in Year 2 because TA can't spin it like a Porsce?

Given the nature of his hire, and the firing of Bo, and the hype of the incoming QB's, I'm not sure that MR can wait till he's fully social security eligible before his guys start taking the snaps. That puts us more or less, one defensive rebuild and 4 years away from right now.

Apparently I completely suck at evaluating QB's, because I will go on record as saying I thought Stanton would be #1 & 2 this fall. OOPS!!

Reactions: sparky62
"

I think something that is interesting conjecture, is how does the TA problem sort itself out. Supposing Wilson is the real deal, and can match TA's mobility with a better passing game, how does Riley match that with what will probably be a pretty successful season for TA this year? He's probably going to win between 9-11 games, although he likely won't win any hardware. Can MR in year 2, jettison an experienced QB with 3 years of 9 win seasons under his belt, for a freshman who plays the style of ball MR likes? Or does MR have to ride a running game and defense in Year 2 because TA can't spin it like a Porsce?

Given the nature of his hire, and the firing of Bo, and the hype of the incoming QB's, I'm not sure that MR can wait till he's fully social security eligible before his guys start taking the snaps. That puts us more or less, one defensive rebuild and 4 years away from right now.

This is also interesting to me, and I'm not sure coach Riley has that kind of time to wait until all his guys are in the system. On the other side of the coin, there was a poll here last Nov/Dec, and a majority of fans thought we had the talent to compete right away, myself included.

Personally, If coach wants to make wholesale changes and do it now, I support that 100%. What do I mean by that? Start AJ Bush, and let's get the growing pains over with now.

The flip side of that, is you got 2 years of TA, and then a couple years breaking in a new guy, and like you said, 4 years of pooping in a barrel before you can say you're ready to take a legit shot at a title.

The other thing that is possible, is TA actually becomes a better QB. Don't count me in the group that believes that, but it is a possibility and it will be his Junior year, so maybe we see a much better player this year.

"Personally, If coach wants to make wholesale changes and do it now. What do I mean by that? Start AJ Bush"

I don't think the problem goes away for Bush. Darlington is probably the closest thing we have to a "MR Guy", but he's damaged goods and I don't think MR wants to back up his detractors saying he's .500 coach by throwing away seasons to see if the growing pains are short ones. We know the staff loves Bush's arm strength, but we also the know the staff is working with three guys who haven't shown a bias towards making good decisions, seeing the whole field, or completing high percentages. IMO, if MR is going to "start over", he's going to skip the guys on the roster, and just play his guys next year. But as the scenario describes, Tommy's going to have something over 40 wins on his resume, and be a senior, will MR really pull a T-Magic ala Bo?

"The other thing that is possible, is TA actually becomes a better QB."

I think he will get better, I'm not sure he's going to get where MR wants to be. So then we have again the tradeoff, do we win 10 games with TA and a running game when he's a senior, and save the whole pro style thing for Years 3 and beyond, or do we just seriously take away snaps from TA to start phasing in Riley ball.

Normally, most new coaches see big jumps in year 2 and 3. Riley's riding kind of an ill timed wave here, if TA isn't going to get us over the hump, its awful inconvenient to have a JR QB right now. That means Riley's year 3, when he might normally be sniffing title, is going to be manned by a Frosh, who statistically isn't going to get it done.

"Personally, If coach wants to make wholesale changes and do it now. What do I mean by that? Start AJ Bush"

I don't think the problem goes away for Bush. Darlington is probably the closest thing we have to a "MR Guy", but he's damaged goods and I don't think MR wants to back up his detractors saying he's .500 coach by throwing away seasons to see if the growing pains are short ones. We know the staff loves Bush's arm strength, but we also the know the staff is working with three guys who haven't shown a bias towards making good decisions, seeing the whole field, or completing high percentages. IMO, if MR is going to "start over", he's going to skip the guys on the roster, and just play his guys next year. But as the scenario describes, Tommy's going to have something over 40 wins on his resume, and be a senior, will MR really pull a T-Magic ala Bo?

"The other thing that is possible, is TA actually becomes a better QB."

I think he will get better, I'm not sure he's going to get where MR wants to be. So then we have again the tradeoff, do we win 10 games with TA and a running game when he's a senior, and save the whole pro style thing for Years 3 and beyond, or do we just seriously take away snaps from TA to start phasing in Riley ball.

Normally, most new coaches see big jumps in year 2 and 3. Riley's riding kind of an ill timed wave here, if TA isn't going to get us over the hump, its awful inconvenient to have a JR QB right now. That means Riley's year 3, when he might normally be sniffing title, is going to be manned by a Frosh, who statistically isn't going to get it done.

I agree with what you're saying, but to me, I think Bush has a much higher ceiling than TA to run MR's system, so if he wanted to go that route, year 3 might look better by starting Bush now.

To be honest, I think it's TA's job with Bush to back him up for this year and who knows what the situation will look like next year with injuries and this year's win/loss record. I guess you just have to play the best guys you got in any given year and try to get the backups ready. Unfortunately this is exactly the 4 year crock pot /slow cook situation we are in.

Tommy Frazier sat out the season and was named the starter for the bowl game. Obviously, way, way different scenario, but anything can happen.

Imo, Riley will give us indications during the season on what will happen. Seemed like pelini played TM for every effin snap. So, does Riley play TA for every snap or do we see some rotation BEFORE games are all but over? Do any freshman qb's take snaps throughout the season? Does Riley keep TA in the games we've lost or when TA is struggling? Riley has said game experience is a very important factor, even more important for the qb. Is going to be interesting to watch this season.

Last edited:
Tommy Frazier sat out the season and was named the starter for the bowl game. Obviously, way, way different scenario, but anything can happen.

Imo, Riley will give us indications during the season on what will happen. Seemed like pelini played TM for every effin snap. So, does Riley play TA for every snap or do we see some rotation BEFORE games are all but over? Do any true freshman qb's take snaps throughout the season? Does Riley keep TA in the games we've lost or when TA is struggling? Riley has said game experience is a very important factor, even more important for the qb. Is going to be interesting to watch this season.

That's generally part of the "injuries don't mean you lose your job". Plus Frazier was Frazier.

Riley's extreme like of experience, is kind of why I see the slow burn going forward. I just don't see him throwing TA overboard as a senior unless TA becomes Joe Dailey this year. But that would mean NU isn't off to a great start, and any move towards Wilson/O'Brien then, would be basically a firefighting effort, rather than a move towards a puncher's chance at a title.

I like TA and Bush, and don't really want to see them slighted, but dang, does it seem so weird to think that real Riley ball, won't be for quite some time. I'm also hoping Bush isn't the NU version of Jeff George, he can sling it, but can he put together the complete game.

In the WH article the other day; TA was ranked in that Middle group that needed to excel to make their teams successful. An insert showed the rankings of the O-lines for the teams. Its stated we were ranked 108th nationally as an o-line: unreal. Haven't seen comments on this; but sets our coaches up for some awards perceptually, if things come true.

That 108 is ridiculous. I bet that was based off of spring evaluation and the fact that many believe us to be more pass happy vs run happy (as in the prior years). I call BS. Our O-line has a ton of talent and maybe the best we've seen in 15 years or so. When healthy, Reeves is a ton of fun to watch and the key part to this O-line. Lewis is a first-team All B1G Tackle. And we have 3 very good RS FR ready to contribute along with a few returning starters that I really expect to be much better this year. This should be at least the deepest O-line we have had in a really long time.

That 108 is ridiculous. I bet that was based off of spring evaluation and the fact that many believe us to be more pass happy vs run happy (as in the prior years). I call BS. Our O-line has a ton of talent and maybe the best we've seen in 15 years or so. When healthy, Reeves is a ton of fun to watch and the key part to this O-line. Lewis is a first-team All B1G Tackle. And we have 3 very good RS FR ready to contribute along with a few returning starters that I really expect to be much better this year. This should be at least the deepest O-line we have had in a really long time.
I'm having trouble deciphering what Dockentwo was posting... Is the article suggesting this year's line will potentially be 108? Or was last year's line 108?

My first read was last year's line, but I may have been wrong, since I didn't read the article mentioned...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT