ADVERTISEMENT

12-14 scholarships need to be dropped

Weird response. Honestly curious on how they are gonna cull 12-14 players and who we anticipate it may be
A lot of guys will move on when they hear they are still 4th or 5th on the depth chart. Do you want my best guesses?
Also not sure how current your # is. I dont track that so I could list guys who already are known to be gone that may or not be in your 85.
Either way we wont be over the limit by the time it matters and we will honor guys schoarships to the university of Nebraska if they wish.

Reactions: Gary.Busey
I hope we get to 25 over. Let's keep 85 legit players and decide which 25 are dead weight. And I say that while understanding that these are human beings and I want the best for them, while also not wanting 10-15 anonymous placeholders on the roster. How will they cull them? Not my problem, the staff knows what they're doing and it will get done.

Weird response. Honestly curious on how they are gonna cull 12-14 players and who we anticipate it may be
because I thought this was a troll question. If its serious, lets have a laugh and move on.

I'll trust the guy making 8M a year to make roster decisions. I just don't think we are used to roster management where we aren't panicking to fill 85 scholarships at signing day.

I imagine a lot of stuff about guys moving on happens in spring.

I hope we get to 25 over. Let's keep 85 legit players and decide which 25 are dead weight. And I say that while understanding that these are human beings and I want the best for them, while also not wanting 10-15 anonymous placeholders on the roster. How will they cull them? Not my problem, the staff knows what they're doing and it will get done.
What if the deadweight are some of the guys signing?

A lot of guys will move on when they hear they are still 4th or 5th on the depth chart. Do you want my best guesses?
Also not sure how current your # is. I dont track that so I could list guys who already are known to be gone that may or not be in your 85.
Either way we wont be over the limit by the time it matters and we will honor guys schoarships to the university of Nebraska if they wish.
1620 said we would be 12-14 over

because I thought this was a troll question. If its serious, lets have a laugh and move on.

I'll trust the guy making 8M a year to make roster decisions. I just don't think we are used to roster management where we aren't panicking to fill 85 scholarships at signing day.

Yeah Alan was a serious question. No issues on my end 😀

Just like you'd trust the guy making 8M a year to make good game and time management decisions, right? And yet that cost us 4 games this year.

Likely Redmich

This thread again... like has been said many times over... it doesn't matter until the cutoff next fall. Bring guys in, let them compete and fall in line... many will bail after the spring game that won't cut it. additionally, for seniors that are on the bubble things can be done with NIL to replace the official scholarship... We shouldn't be concerned unless DONU still has this many next fall and shits about to get real... then again... that's why coach gets paid millions to make the tough decisions...

Additionally, I like what @jteten said above... The playing field is now even. Players can leave whenever they want. We should continue to load up on talent and create attrition to a greater level than it creates itself. Plan for transfers and force it if necessary.

This thread again... like has been said many times over... it doesn't matter until the cutoff next fall. Bring guys in, let them compete and fall in line... many will bail after the spring game that won't cut it. additionally, for seniors that are on the bubble things can be done with NIL to replace the official scholarship... We shouldn't be concerned unless DONU still has this many next fall and shits about to get real... then again... that's why coach gets paid millions to make the tough decisions...

Additionally, I like what @jteten said above... The playing field is now even. Players can leave whenever they want. We should continue to load up on talent and create attrition to a greater level than it creates itself. Plan for transfers and force it if necessary.
Every off season we’ve lost about a dozen guys for various reasons. This year will be no different

My thoughts of who could leave:

QB - Chubs, HH
RB - Gabe
WR - Bullock, IGC
TE - Bonner or another
OL - Hood, Knaak, Luto, TC, Buckley
DL - Rollins, Tagaloa
LB - Kaine Williams, Gage Stenger, KPai
CB - SS
ST - Buschini, Bleekrode
Surprise: There will probably be another 3-5 that bounce as they see things sort themselves out. After looking at the roster, seem to be plenty you could choose from, but these (to me) seem the most likely.

What if the deadweight are some of the guys signing?
Won't know that for a year or two. In the meantime, guys that have been hanging around for several years with no contribution might as well go. We all know that, right or wrong, Rhule and staff have a good idea who they want gone, right? College coaches make up their minds about guys very quickly. They're not always right, but they're usually sure.

The playing field is now even. Players can leave whenever they want. We should continue to load up on talent and create attrition to a greater level than it creates itself. Plan for transfers and force it if necessary.
Yep, no more feeling sorry for the kids. Game on

Won't know that for a year or two. In the meantime, guys that have been hanging around for several years with no contribution might as well go. We all know that, right or wrong, Rhule and staff have a good idea who they want gone, right? College coaches make up their minds about guys very quickly. They're not always right, but they're usually sure.
Who is that? What about guys who have been injured? What about guys who were true freshmen this year? Most of the upperclassmen who haven't contributed are already gone or expected out already, yet there's still several more needed out to make room. So then you're looking at guys from one of those two groups I mentioned or guys who actually have contributed. Again, is it worth it to get rid of those on the roster, many of whom have or are expected to make contributions, to take in ten 5.5 3 stars?

Who is that? What about guys who have been injured? What about guys who were true freshmen this year? Most of the upperclassmen who haven't contributed are already gone or expected out already, yet there's still several more needed out to make room. So then you're looking at guys from one of those two groups I mentioned or guys who actually have contributed. Again, is it worth it to get rid of those on the roster, many of whom have or are expected to make contributions, to take in ten 5.5 3 stars?
It's worth it if Rhule thinks it's worth it. Do you think you know the roster better than he does? Actually, you probably do. But - you don't, and neither do I.

QB - Chubs, HH
RB - Gabe
WR - Bullock, IGC
TE - Bonner or another
DL - Rollins, Tagaloa
CB - SS
ST - Buschini, Bleekrode
Surprise: There will probably be another 3-5 that bounce as they see things sort themselves out. After looking at the roster, seem to be plenty you could choose from, but these (to me) seem the most likely.
We should probably leave this up to the staff. Just because you don’t like a guy doesn’t mean that the staff doesn’t. Tough decisions ahead because I only see a couple of guys who I don’t think can play going forward. My guess is post spring depth chart will induce some departures.

Reactions: mgbreis
After seeing guys in practice for a year or two they will have a better idea if they’re ever going to pan out. Those high schoolers are all potential and the more of them you sift through the more real players you’re going to find.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Literally every year since Pelini was shown the door this question has been asked. Every year the answer is the same. Players will figure out that they aren't in the plans after spring ball. Coaches will have conversations with some of those players that want to stay but aren't in the plans. By the time August rolls around there will be 85.

By the time August rolls around there will be 85.
Almost like it's magic!
david copperfield magic GIF

Which guys specifically that are upperclassmen and contributors are you worried will be asked to leave?

Second part of the equation - which incoming guys do you believe won't pan out?

If you were to provide these specifics, it could be the basis for an actual discussion and not sound like you are just trying to find something to complain about.

QB - Chubs, HH
RB - Gabe
WR - Bullock, IGC
TE - Bonner or another
DL - Rollins, Tagaloa
CB - SS
ST - Buschini, Bleekrode
I will respond line by line but a lot of these guys I don't think are going to be forced out:

We probably want at least one of those QB's to stay, and that's the case even if we add Thompson. If we made room for Rhamir, doubt Gabe will get forced out. Bullock I think will be put on NIL as he only had a 1 year scholarship. Not sure what the options are for IGC, but I'm sure the staff sees him as a scholarship caliber player they'd like to keep. Bonner you would think would be a good target for attrition, then again, the staff has been talking him up lately. I wouldn't be sad to see any of those OL go, but then again, I think this is wishful thinking and haven't seen any indication they're targets for attrition. I'd also like to keep Buckley as he's the only real solid option we have at NT if Nash goes down. I don't know why you keep adding Stenger to these lists, the guy is young and showed out during the spring game and I've never heard anything bad about him. Don't know why, but I think Rhule wants Buschini to stay. With that, that narrows down the list quite a bit of who is actually attritable.

Syncere is not a guy you want leaving if you want talented guys on your roster, but he has had some disciplinary issues. Same story with Fields it appears. Those guys could leave, but it's certainly not because of talent.

It's not like 5.5 3 stars are good candidates to replace the guys on that list and actually make the roster better. And if we keep a fair amount of the ones on the list, attrition may end up coming from some of the guys we wouldn't want leaving.

• Haha
What disciplinary issues has Fields or Safeeulla had? The only thing I have seen is the tweet from the DB coach to Safeeulla about staying the course. Fields was injured for a good part of the season, I believe a groin.

So 5.5 3 stars aren't candidates to replace other 5.5 3 stars?

Thompson is not coming to Nebraska. He is still on the FAU roster and is not in the portal. Until he is in the portal, he is a non factor.

Hood will be gone, Buckley is not even playing defense anymore so he is a non factor at NT.

Sometimes it appears that you just make stuff up.

Which guys specifically that are upperclassmen and contributors are you worried will be asked to leave?

Second part of the equation - which incoming guys do you believe won't pan out?

If you were to provide these specifics, it could be the basis for an actual discussion and not sound like you are just trying to find something to complain about.
Part of this was answered in my other post. Heard Fidone is a little shaky. Piper perhaps, but his injury was severe. If we had guys in place to replace Ervin and IGC, I wouldn't be sad at all if they left, but I don’t think we do... On the other side you have guys who aren't very good but won't be asked to leave, such as Bullock, the OL guys, Buschini, etc. The guys I'm more concerned with losing are the young and talented guys like Syncere and Fields. Sure they've had some discipline issues, but it's something that needs to be managed to get guys who actually have talent on the field.

As for the guys who won't pan out, the most likely are the 5.5 3 star guys, and they all seem to be appropriately rated. I have provided these specifics before, and people still like to bitch about it just because they don't like the facts.

• Haha
Part of this was answered in my other post. Heard Fidone is a little shaky. Piper perhaps, but his injury was severe. If we had guys in place to replace Ervin and IGC, I wouldn't be sad at all if they left, but I don’t think we do... On the other side you have guys who aren't very good but won't be asked to leave, such as Bullock, the OL guys, Buschini, etc. The guys I'm more concerned with losing are the young and talented guys like Syncere and Fields. Sure they've had some discipline issues, but it's something that needs to be managed to get guys who actually have talent on the field.

As for the guys who won't pan out, the most likely are the 5.5 3 star guys, and they all seem to be appropriately rated. I have provided these specifics before, and people still like to bitch about it just because they don't like the facts.
Talent does not always equal contribution or production. If a talented kid isn’t getting it done that’s too bad. See ya.

QB - Chubs, HH
RB - Gabe
WR - Bullock, IGC
TE - Bonner or another
DL - Rollins, Tagaloa
CB - SS
ST - Buschini, Bleekrode
Heinrich Haarberg is Nebraska. Bullock may have been just a one year scholarship and may not count for 2024. Gabe and Tagaloa may not return to football because of serious injury on and off the field.

Reactions: dinglefritz
What disciplinary issues has Fields or Safeeulla had? The only thing I have seen is the tweet from the DB coach to Safeeulla about staying the course. Fields was injured for a good part of the season, I believe a groin.

So 5.5 3 stars aren't candidates to replace other 5.5 3 stars?

Thompson is not coming to Nebraska. He is still on the FAU roster and is not in the portal. Until he is in the portal, he is a non factor.

Hood will be gone, Buckley is not even playing defense anymore so he is a non factor at NT.

Sometimes it appears that you just make stuff up.
Sounds like a discipline issue, doesn’t it?

Sure, you could replace 5.5 3 star guys with each other in an endless cycle I guess, but doesn’t seem like a very effective strategy unless you want to continue our bowl-less streak.

Not what I've heard. And if Purdy leaves, which appears likely, we'll need someone to replace him.

Buckley is the only true NT we have as a backup. If the coaching staff put him on offense, then it was a shortsided decision.

I don't make anything up and wouldn't have any reason to. Everything I say is based on facts.

• Haha
Sounds like a discipline issue, doesn’t it?

Sure, you could replace 5.5 3 star guys with each other in an endless cycle I guess, but doesn’t seem like a very effective strategy unless you want to continue our bowl-less streak.

Not what I've heard. And if Purdy leaves, which appears likely, we'll need someone to replace him.

Buckley is the only true NT we have as a backup. If the coaching staff put him on offense, then it was a shortsided decision.

I don't make anything up and wouldn't have any reason to. Everything I say is based on facts.
A stupid tweet? What about Fields?

What facts? Nothing you post is based on anything but your opinion and "things you've heard".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT