ADVERTISEMENT

young team?

inWV

Assistant Head Coach
Sep 22, 2007
Of the 56 players listed on the depth chart for the offense and defense, I count 28 that have two or more years of eligibility (counting granting of Fidone's expected hardship year). And the published depth chart doesn't count some of the younger kids that have played this year on D. We might see it as an older team because kids like Bullock stepped up and are playing at a much higher level than we expected. In reality, it's a nice balance between youth and experience, with the younger kids getting reps and the older kids still playing key snaps.

Typical of a Rhule rebuild. Get the young studs in early, and by year three, they have experience. I noticed the same. The future is bright.
I wonder if Rhule expected to have to play even more younger kids, but the older players surprised him by sticking around and working hard. Jimari was in the portal, Rhule told him he was crazy and wanted him on the roster, and now he's playing as a solid Big Ten defender with chance at playing pro ball. They realized Bullock was a see ball carrier, get ball carrier guy and moved him to LB and he's playing at an all-conference level.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I wonder if Rhule expected to have to play even more younger kids, but the older players surprised him by sticking around and working hard. Jimari was in the portal, Rhule told him he was crazy and wanted him on the roster, and now he's playing as a solid Big Ten defender with chance at playing pro ball. They realized Bullock was a see ball carrier, get ball carrier guy and moved him to LB and he's playing at an all-conference level.
The first thing Rhule had to do was teach the team how to compete on an everyday basis. Every drill he installed in the first year had to do with competition, and there was a winner and a loser, with zero middle ground. The players who came back are single-digit players and are now teaching the youngins the importance of competing... This is still a small problem, when the games get close, some of older's players sphincters get tight. Hopefully, the younger players do not get this disease.

I don't know how to judge future teams with the Transfer Portal looming so large. It makes me nervous.

I mean... it seems Rhule is establishing NU as a desirable end destination, but I don't know many players are in it for wanderlust and you're only young once so you may as well be well traveled.

Typical of a Rhule rebuild. Get the young studs in early, and by year three, they have experience. I noticed the same. The future is bright.
This is the formula in college football, especially for QBs. There are exceptions for greatness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT