ADVERTISEMENT

Yeesh

Laner2

Head Coach
Dec 27, 2007
The Hurtling Moons of Barsoom
https://huskercorner.com/2023/07/08...PruKxjTfDhW6AOs-g-HvDUaZh_c2GHv7T70uwMMD9Jv40

This is just putrid. OTOH, I saw improvement in the line toward the end of last season. Don't know enough if the line's problems were bad coaching, scheme or both. Guessing both.

"There were all kinds of indicators that the unit wasn’t pulling its own weight in 2022. However, there is one stat above all others that indicate why the Huskers offense simply wasn’t effective enough to win more games.

"The Twitter account @Statsowar recently posted a graphic that drastically underlined a big problem the Nebraska football offensive line faced last year at the very least. That statistic is “yards before contact per rush.”

"It shouldn’t be hard to realize why the statistic is important. When the Nebraska football team ran the ball, they usually had a problem finding a hole.

"According to the graphic, the Cornhuskers managed just 1.76 yards per rush before contact. That sounds bad on its own. It means the Nebraska football team was 57th among 69 Power 5 programs in the country."

https://huskercorner.com/2023/07/08...PruKxjTfDhW6AOs-g-HvDUaZh_c2GHv7T70uwMMD9Jv40

This is just putrid. OTOH, I saw improvement in the line toward the end of last season. Don't know enough if the line's problems were bad coaching, scheme or both. Guessing both.

"There were all kinds of indicators that the unit wasn’t pulling its own weight in 2022. However, there is one stat above all others that indicate why the Huskers offense simply wasn’t effective enough to win more games.

"The Twitter account @Statsowar recently posted a graphic that drastically underlined a big problem the Nebraska football offensive line faced last year at the very least. That statistic is “yards before contact per rush.”

"It shouldn’t be hard to realize why the statistic is important. When the Nebraska football team ran the ball, they usually had a problem finding a hole.

"According to the graphic, the Cornhuskers managed just 1.76 yards per rush before contact. That sounds bad on its own. It means the Nebraska football team was 57th among 69 Power 5 programs in the country."
It is a very telling stat that literally translates to “not blocking.”
You could see Anthony Grant having to make something out of nothing all the time.

If we improve up front, it’ll make all the difference.

It is a very telling stat that literally translates to “not blocking.”
You could see Anthony Grant having to make something out of nothing all the time.

If we improve up front, it’ll make all the difference.
There was more to it than “not blocking”. Defenses knew at the snap what we were running and who was getting the ball. There was no deception or misdirection. Maybe with the Pipeline you could do that to some degree. Not so much with the patchwork line we had to play last fall due to a suspension and injuries. I think we’ll be better up front this fall.

There was more to it than “not blocking”. Defenses knew at the snap what we were running and who was getting the ball. There was no deception or misdirection. Maybe with the Pipeline you could do that to some degree. Not so much with the patchwork line we had to play last fall due to a suspension and injuries. I think we’ll be better up front this fall.
We CAN be better on the Oline this year, Scott from ASU and Nouri are "New" guys. Nouri, in that he didn't play last year cuz the stupid drug test. But he did pretty well the year prior. Hopefully that time off last year motivates the Hell out of him!
Count Teddy as a "New" guy too, if he can stay healthy and get some good game experience.
The other guys, while they didn’t look great last year, they have another year of maturity. They also have a Strength Coach that isn’t turning them into stiff body builders, but guys that will (should) have much better flexibility and be able to fire off the line.
The predictable play calling hurt us last year. Don’t think that will be an issue this year.
We should have multiple (speedy) WR options that can take the top off defenses.
If Simms can get them the ball deep, the Oline will look better this year.

Even though Hixson was adequate at C, Scott is a large upgrade in the middle. Add in a fullback, and Sims as a running threat at QB, and the middle improves.

Nouilli is a good G, definitely better than Piper or Corcoran, and he should be motivated.

Benhart has to be improved just through the S & C and improved nutrition program.

I would like to see Corcoran play to the level the professional scouts feel he should be, if they project him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder who can play any of the 5 positions, its time for him to start to show it. The sonofagun is such a good athlete with good speed and feet that he "should" be the standout in the entire unit.

Lutovsky and some of the young ones will have the benefit of better strength and conditioning and with the coaches help should begin to show early.

Sims should represent a running threat who can throw the ball. Rhule wants to run a physical offense, and Sims represents physicality. Now if he can throw the ball and avoid unneccessary interceptions it will be a good offense.

I think NU could put a fairly physical OL on the field this year. If those big hosses are showing the type of physical and conditioning transitions as some of the kids we've seen, NU should be able to move the ball on some people.

I'm hoping NU is as physical as I think they will be. After 5 years of that last joke of a S & C coach stiffening up so many of these kids with some flexibility and bendability and will go a long ways towards improvement.

One thing that slips by everyone is this: This S & C staff has incorporated specific position type requirements in the lifting program that should pay dividends. No question these coaches deal in specificity of position need.

We have to avoid being that 2nd and 9, 2nd and 8 type team we've been for too many years. I'm hoping this is a team that is able to prove some things this year. Its been a bitch to be a fan of such lousy football. Thank goodness we at least have hope. The vast majority of the guys on here know what good football looks like because we were treated to it for 4 decades.

I'm one of a handful of guys on here who happens to know what a highly, properly trained team that is motivated is capable of doing after nearly a year of different type preparation. I've seen it happen and will not be surprised if we find out early on that the program is headed upward. I think Minnesota is gonna catch hell unleashed when compared to the last decade.

Now they have to learn how to win and that's easier said than done. I think Rhule likes what he sees. I do too.

Last edited:
Even though Hixson was adequate at C, Scott is a large upgrade in the middle. Add in a fullback, and Sims as a running threat at QB, and the middle improves.
I like the idea of going more under center. Giving opposing LB's a better look for play action and bootlegs than "shotgun" formation does. And if we're able to use a fullback as a lead blocker out of certain formations that will be something could give opposing LBs fits.
I'm one of a handful of guys on here who happens to know what a highly, properly trained team that is motivated is capable of doing after nearly a year of different type preparation. I've seen it happen and will not be surprised if we find out early on that the program is headed upward. I think Minnesota is gonna catch hell unleashed when compared to the last decade.
Practice makes one hell of a difference. Frost had his "fast Fridays" and no contact practices. Get a bunch of reps, don't take time to correct errors on the field. Do that in the film room (Yeah right!) I think the team will show marked improvement just from having better practice structure.

I like the idea of going more under center. Giving opposing LB's a better look for play action and bootlegs than "shotgun" formation does. And if we're able to use a fullback as a lead blocker out of certain formations that will be something could give opposing LBs fits.

Practice makes one hell of a difference. Frost had his "fast Fridays" and no contact practices. Get a bunch of reps, don't take time to correct errors on the field. Do that in the film room (Yeah right!) I think the team will show marked improvement just from having better practice structure.
Those are all excellent points Dean Pope.

Reactions: Laner2
Normally disagree with you but systemic problems on the team certainly lead to problems. Bad running game is caused by poor blocking, poor gameplanning, play calling, bad vision from Rbs, inefficient passing game and overall just the inability to win at any position on offense except for one WR position. I think we are winless without Trey Palmer since he had huge plays in all of our close wins and was the only player that could force safeties out of the box. People need to remember how bad our teams have been over the last 5 years...like historically bad, with zero wins over decent teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT