ADVERTISEMENT

Wyatt Liewer - O'Neill NE

Watching the WR/DB battles reminds me of an article that was in some HS sports magazine when I was in school in the early 70's. They were highlighting Hayden and McKay who played together in HS and at USC. The point of the article was that it is nearly impossible to stop a QB/WR combination if the WR runs a good route and the ball is thrown on time and in the right place.

I remembering playing a team in HS that had two really good athletes, a QB and a WR and that is what they did nearly all night, try to throw to one guy. To this day I still believe that John McKay, legendary USC coach, was correct.

As per the OP, I know nothing about the kid from O'Neil but he does have some nice hands.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Was he wearing #7 tonight at FNL? My friends and I noticed #7 and #21 (both tall white WRs) who looked REALLY good. I was very impressed with both. I hope he walks on.

best catch I've seen from a highschool kid in a very long time. hellva effort and even getting a foot in bounds.

He caught the ball but did not get his foot down. Still showed great ball judgment and hands. I hope he walks on. Gbr

Well, from my replay booth he got the toe down in bounds but I am not certain he had full control at the same time the toe came down. It appears the toe touched and then he pulled the ball into his body for control. Given that it was HS and the official was in perfect position and the fact that this was an incredible catch - I say TD. In college, meh.

Last edited:
Well, from my replay booth he got the to down in bounds but I am not certain he had full control at the same time the toe came down. It appears the toe touched and then he pulled the ball into his body for control. Given that it was HS and the official was in perfect position and the fact that this was an incredible catch - I say TD. In college, meh.

His left foot never touches the ground. It seems pretty obvious IMO. You don't see any dirt or grass being kicked up. Anyways, yeah great catch.

Based on this thread...someone needs to throw the challenge flag to get this situation solved.

Reactions: donahues17
Legal catch or not, it was obviously a fantastic grab. I just think the DB managed to keep him from bringing it down in-bounds.

But if that was ruled a catch, Penn State's probably very interested. They have a hard time getting those calls since they can't use booster club members as game officials anymore (damn conferences!).

I happened to be at that game and had a very good angle on the play. it was a catch and his foot touched in bounds. and for those who don't know the rule, if he was forced out and the official in his mind thought he would have been inbounds to begin with it is still a catch. look at the official in perfect position to see the whole play, great call and it was a great game with a hellva atmosphere.

Well if the force out rule is still in effect in high school (which I didn't know), then I would agree it was a good call. He definitely would have come down in-bounds if not for the hit from the DB.

I happened to be at that game and had a very good angle on the play. it was a catch and his foot touched in bounds. and for those who don't know the rule, if he was forced out and the official in his mind thought he would have been inbounds to begin with it is still a catch. look at the official in perfect position to see the whole play, great call and it was a great game with a hellva atmosphere.

The force out rule was changed in 2012. You have to come down in bounds for it to be a catch.

cfoa.com/downloads/2012_football_rules.pdf

In 2013, it was clarified that if a defender carried the receiver out of bounds, it could be considered a catch. But just a push/bump out is still incomplete.

https://www.sdcfoa.org/wp-content/uploads/2013-NFHS-Football-Rules-PowerPoint.pdf

It didn't appear to be updated since 2013.

Reactions: schuele
what everyone seems to be missing on that play is why the hell are they throwing the ball in the first place

you run the ball! you shouldn't have to rely on circus catches to move the chains.

<sarcasm>

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT