ADVERTISEMENT

Would you eat meat from...

Ribs, Brisket, Pork Butt, Chicken, etc... absolutely. I know several competition bbq guys that prefer Sam's and Costco meat. Hamburger and cut steaks... not usually. The hamburger can sometimes be bland and the cut steaks are hit/miss. What is your beef with meat from Sam's? Do you think it will give you covid or the squirts?

i assume the quality isn't good because it comes from sam's.

Reactions: Laner2
Really? They use high grade meat, and I love the steak and roast from there. Costco may be a little better, but not by much.

my wife got a sam's card a few months back for the $10 deal or whatever. I've never seen their selection, but I assume it is low grade because it is sam's club.

we don't use the sam's card, but today she was going to. i said that i refuse to eat meat from sam's, so we didn't.

• Love
Would you eat meat from Sam's Club?

my wife told me she was going to go buy meat from Sam's Club, i told her i refuse to eat "meat" from there.
Sam's Club has some of the best cuts of meat you can buy. You can find the same meat they sell at the top-end steakhouses. So the answer is absolutely yes.

A while back, I got some ground beef from Walmart in one of the 10-pound packages and divided it. Every time we cooked it up my wife had to spend a lot of time picking out cartilage and bone fragments. Maybe just got a bad batch, but she's done with them.
I would never buy hamburger in those 10 lb tubes. It’s crappy meat in my experience. I’m spoiled though. I have home raised beef sometimes or I’ll get a half from a cattle feeder friend. I usually keep at least one freezer full with an assortment of local beef and pork. When we butcher the 2nd freezer fills up too.

I think there is a huge difference between Walmart and Sam’s Club meat quality.

i assumed it was the same stuff. i thought sam's is like a walmart club, i guess i was wrong, my bias has been exposed.

• Love
I mean, I get it is a "discount store" but Walmart/Sam's Club is the biggest corp in the world. my guess is that anyone selling great meat is DYING to get in their stores.

Reactions: Jaemekon
I mean, I get it is a "discount store" but Walmart/Sam's Club is the biggest corp in the world. my guess is that anyone selling great meat is DYING to get in their stores.

i never viewed it that way. exclusivity is more attractive for me. the everyone gets some element is a turnoff. I'm the type of guy who would cut my leg off just because everyone else has two...

I would never buy hamburger in those 10 lb tubes. It’s crappy meat in my experience. I’m spoiled though. I have home raised beef sometimes or I’ll get a half from a cattle feeder friend. I usually keep at least one freezer full with an assortment of local beef and pork. When we butcher the 2nd freezer fills up too.
If folks can do it, it's the only way. We buy ours from a friend who owns a large cattle operation, no antibiotics, etc. We usually buy a couple of 55# cases of 1 #'s. Then about 30 or so roasts. I use the pressure canner on the majority of it.

I prefer to can, even though I have a generator. In the event of a loss of electricity, I'd rather not run a generator and advertise to the neighborhood that we have lights, heat, etc. LOL Plus, it will last for umpteen years. We don't eat pork.

If folks can do it, it's the only way. We buy ours from a friend who owns a large cattle operation, no antibiotics, etc. We usually buy a couple of 55# cases of 1 #'s. Then about 30 or so roasts. I use the pressure canner on the majority of it.

I prefer to can, even though I have a generator. In the event of a loss of electricity, I'd rather not run a generator and advertise to the neighborhood that we have lights, heat, etc. LOL Plus, it will last for umpteen years.
Again...I want to follow you around for a month! My god, you magnificent bastard!

Again...I want to follow you around for a month! My god, you magnificent bastard!
Yeah right, I'm on the forum at 8:15 on a Saturday night, between matches on UFC.

Actually, I love to pressure can. I spend about 2 straight months preparing for the long haul. Potatoes, ham and bean soup, pinto beans, red beans, navy beans, all sorts of chicken. My wife loves beets, squash, and stuff I don't care for. I do hamburger, patties, steaks, etc. Vegetable soup, chili, you name it, if someone in the family likes it, I can it. LOL

I grew up hungry, so that is my solution. You can do 14#'s at a time, next thing you know, you got lots of food to eat and share with those who are having a tough time making it. I did water bath canning since I was 8 years old.

Yeah right, I'm on the forum at 8:15 on a Saturday night, between matches on UFC.

Actually, I love to pressure can. I spend about 2 straight months preparing for the long haul. Potatoes, ham and bean soup, pinto beans, red beans, navy beans, all sorts of chicken. My wife loves beets, squash, and stuff I don't care for. I do hamburger, patties, steaks, etc. Vegetable soup, chili, you name it, if someone in the family likes it, I can it. LOL

I grew up hungry, so that is my solution. You can do 14#'s at a time, next thing you know, you got lots of food to eat and share with those who are having a tough time making it. I did water bath canning since I was 8 years old.
So I knew you could can veggies but had no idea you could can meat? I feel the thread diverging. So you can it raw and then later cook like normal?

So I knew you could can veggies but had no idea you could can meat? I feel the thread diverging. So you can it raw and then later cook like normal?
In addition to what huskerfan said, about the only thing I won't can is eggs, pasta and tomatoes. A lot of folks can the tomatoes but I have better luck with the acidity if I add them to the chili ingredients when I heat them up.

For anyone who has an interest in canning, there's a really good site, National Center for Home Food Preservation that will walk you through about anything. Then you can watch a video or two from a couple of gals who are real pros to insure all the steps you take are preventative. It's not as hard as many people think.

With ground beef I always pre cook it to where it is just a very light pink, then I can it. The canning process cooks it
thoroughly and takes about 90 minutes at 11#'s of pressure. Depending on where you live and what sea level you are in.

Chicken I just do raw pack. I do a ton of wings, but mostly chicken planks and diced chicken to add to soup, etc.
You can do rabbit, deer, pork, the whole nine yards.

The thing is it is so damn convenient to just grab a quart of roast, or hamburger, chicken, chili, whatever, and just warm it up. And when they are sealed, they will last for years and years.

The reason I can so much is that if there is a power outage longterm, I know we have tons of protein. If the shit hits the
fan I don't want to be running a generator. A hungry mass would migrate there in a hurry and that would not be a good thing for them.

For the grandkids I can Simpli Apple Juice and Grape Juice in 1/2 gallon jars. I do a lot of chicken/beef broth because it is super healthy, and is really great protein. Protein will be in short supply at some point in the future.

When you do dry beans, you just sort them to make sure none are split, and just put 1/3 of a quart of beans, and when they reconstitute, you have a full quart of beans. Belly stuffers, cheap, and in the future that may be about all some folks have to eat. That day will come.

Last edited:
Don’t shop at any of those big box stores, but will admit that THE BEST cut of beef I’ve ever consumed was a capsteak from Costco. And I’ve eaten a LOT of red meat.

It’ll depend on their source. Do these places use local sources for their produce and meats? Honest question. Have no clue.
I thought Herks only ate hog?

Don’t shop at any of those big box stores, but will admit that THE BEST cut of beef I’ve ever consumed was a capsteak from Costco. And I’ve eaten a LOT of red meat.

It’ll depend on their source. Do these places use local sources for their produce and meats? Honest question. Have no clue.
We have a local owned butcher shop in town. If I were going to buy a ribeye, a T-bone or a high-priced tenderloin I would buy from him. (His ground brisket for burgers is pretty great too). However, If I buy a tri-tip or a flank I buy from Costco. I also think Costco has better wild caught seafood than the butcher shop.

This has nothing to do with anything. I am always amazed at the cars I see when I go to Seattle. Today was a really good day because it is summer, so everyone was out showing off their cars. I saw a really cool brand-new black Mercedes Benz AMG G 63 going down the road. Then when my wife and I picked up an old friend at a hotel a black Lamborghini was parked in front. It looked fast and expensive just parked there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaemekon
since Costco moved in to town Sam’s kind of got ran off. Costco has good meat and an all around great store

Costco meat is only beat on quality by Whole Foods, and both are beat by both quality and price by Wild Pastures.

But you won’t go to Wild Pastures for stuff your smoke on a BGE (the cuts are like 8-10oz). So 80% Wild Pastures for ground beef, pork and chicken, chicken breasts, thighs, pork, bacon, roasts, then Whole Foods or Snake River Farms if you really want to ball out on a grill or smoker for a larger gathering.

Reactions: Jaemekon and c3o
saw a report on the epoch times that meat can be imported into this country (like from Brazil or Australia) and if it is cut or sliced, it can be labeled as US Meat.. part of their expose' on this is some other countries allow mRNA vaccines into their meat.. apparently the US allows this or it is being done on pork now, but you are not supposed to slaughter the animal until 21 days post vaccination... They said there was little oversight and that mRNA fragments could be making it into the meat supply.

saw a report on the epoch times that meat can be imported into this country (like from Brazil or Australia) and if it is cut or sliced, it can be labeled as US Meat.. part of their expose' on this is some other countries allow mRNA vaccines into their meat.. apparently the US allows this or it is being done on pork now, but you are not supposed to slaughter the animal until 21 days post vaccination... They said there was little oversight and that mRNA fragments could be making it into the meat supply.
I can't comment on the mRNA claim but you are essentially right on the labeling.....product of USA. Which to me is wrong and =false advertising. The packing industry has a very strong influence and unfortunately 2 of the Big ones are foreign owned. Smithfield =China. JBS(old Monfort and others) = south America . I quit buying farmland products because they're owned by Smithfield.

In addition to what huskerfan said, about the only thing I won't can is eggs, pasta and tomatoes. A lot of folks can the tomatoes but I have better luck with the acidity if I add them to the chili ingredients when I heat them up.

For anyone who has an interest in canning, there's a really good site, National Center for Home Food Preservation that will walk you through about anything. Then you can watch a video or two from a couple of gals who are real pros to insure all the steps you take are preventative. It's not as hard as many people think.

With ground beef I always pre cook it to where it is just a very light pink, then I can it. The canning process cooks it
thoroughly and takes about 90 minutes at 11#'s of pressure. Depending on where you live and what sea level you are in.

Chicken I just do raw pack. I do a ton of wings, but mostly chicken planks and diced chicken to add to soup, etc.
You can do rabbit, deer, pork, the whole nine yards.

The thing is it is so damn convenient to just grab a quart of roast, or hamburger, chicken, chili, whatever, and just warm it up. And when they are sealed, they will last for years and years.

The reason I can so much is that if there is a power outage longterm, I know we have tons of protein. If the shit hits the
fan I don't want to be running a generator. A hungry mass would migrate there in a hurry and that would not be a good thing for them.

For the grandkids I can Simpli Apple Juice and Grape Juice in 1/2 gallon jars. I do a lot of chicken/beef broth because it is super healthy, and is really great protein. Protein will be in short supply at some point in the future.

When you do dry beans, you just sort them to make sure none are split, and just put 1/3 of a quart of beans, and when they reconstitute, you have a full quart of beans. Belly stuffers, cheap, and in the future that may be about all some folks have to eat. That day will come.
Very informative and interesting as well. Thank you.

I prefer to can, even though I have a generator. In the event of a loss of electricity, I'd rather not run a generator and advertise to the neighborhood that we have lights, heat, etc. LOL Plus, it will last for umpteen years. We don't eat pork.
Canned roast beef is great. I’m just too lazy to do it.

• Haha
Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I live in KC and Walmart/Sam’s is getting ready to open a meat distribution plant in Olathe. All of the meat going through the Olathe distribution center which will go out to much of the Midwest is Nebraska raised certified beef. So honestly I think it’s going to be solid quality.
As a former meat manager, meat cutter, I only buy CHOICE!Yes, this would be good quality! I don't care how they label their meat or steaks, I have to see the Choice sticker! Twice or more times a year, a Federal Meat inspector would show up & walk the meat dept coolers, looking for choice boxes only! We advertised Choice and that was we had to have in our coolers! We could grind Select meat for our ground beef!
!

There is absolutely no danger to humans from mRNA vaccines in foreign meat. What is more worrisome is the potential for bringing in FMDV. That would devastate our ag economy and cause widespread meat shortages.

I expect most people who have generators, like a Generac would turn on all the lights in the house, open the curtains, and burn all their exterior lights during a power outage. You know, to let the neighbors see "I have power and you don't".

FWXkcuLX0AQJLi0.jpg

I‘m an out of state guy, but whenever I visit my son in Lincoln, when it is not a football Saturday, we always head to a small Nebraska town to get a burger and a beer. Criteria is the town has to be less than 750 population and have a meat locker in town. We have met the nicest people in the world and have bought the finest pieces of meat this side of heaven. God bless the Nebraska producers, the artisan local butchers, and of course the small town bartenders!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT