ADVERTISEMENT

Worst QB room in 30 years?

x35goahs

Walk On
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2005
Legit question here. Is this the worst QB room we’ve had in 30 years? I’m trying to think of a time that we had a worse room than this as far as pure passing ability. How did we end up with an entire room of kids that look like they learned how to throw a spiral the week of the game.

It is the worst, in probably 50 years, and I don’t there’s one fan that would even debate it.
You have to remember there we’re teams in the old big 8 that were simply bad so bob and Tom could get by with a below average quarterback, but even coach Osborne wouldn’t have put up with all the turnovers.

I feel bad for each and every one of them. As frustrated as I myself get, I know their frustration as a player must be much worse.
I don't feel bad for anyone making 200k to fumble and throw picks every game. Do your damn job or GTFO. Good riddance to all 3.

Last edited:
If we’re talking the last 60 years.
Only QB that wasn’t very good for the Devaney and Osborne era would have to be Frank Patrick and Ernie Sigler 67-68..Patrick didn’t play much when Tagge and Brownson arrived in 1969..

As far as Osborne era I’d say Tim Hager and Jeff Quinn were just adequate and weren’t good enough to win the conference, but boy I sure would like to have some what of adequate QB this year…

I now have no faith in any three of them not turning the ball over and having more good read‘s than bad one’s..

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
If we’re talking the last 60 years.
Only QB that wasn’t very good for the Devaney and Osborne era would have to be Frank Patrick and Ernie Sigler 67-68..Patrick didn’t play much when Tagge and Brownson arrived in 1969..

As far as Osborne era I’d say Tim Hager and Jeff Quinn were just adequate and weren’t good enough to win the conference, but boy I sure would like to have some what of adequate QB this year…

I now have no faith in any three of them not turning the ball over and having more good read‘s than bad one’s..
Jeff Quinn led the nation in passing efficiency his senior year. We would be so lucky to have a QB as good as him right now.

Reactions: huntered
Jeff Quinn led the nation in passing efficiency his senior year. We would be so lucky to have a QB as good as him right now.
He also fumbled at the 3 with the go ahead TD in the loss to Florida St 18-14..

Tom didn’t need to pass too much with those teams either majority of the time was less than 20 passes a game.

Me as well. I only go back about 40 years or so but I never seen anything comparable. We probably don't have a D1 QB on the roster currently. Talk about embarrassing...

Holla
And yet it’s Rhule fault he didn’t get anyone better..
Half these dipshits don’t invest in the market thinking every pick is a winner..

Hey he made a bad decision doesn’t mean he won’t fix it.. Fan base like myself want to win enough for a bowl game but give him time to do diligence.

Legit question here. Is this the worst QB room we’ve had in 30 years? I’m trying to think of a time that we had a worse room than this as far as pure passing ability. How did we end up with an entire room of kids that look like they learned how to throw a spiral the week of the game.

Sims is exactly as advertised at Georgia tech. I don’t blame him at all, simply poor coaching evaluation. Like they ordered a chicken sandwich and then were upset that it was not a roast beef sandwich which is what they really wanted.

HH you may recall was recruited during the Covid year and frost offered him without ever seeing him throw. Results of that are showing now.

Purdey I think is the best we have on roster he just has been the recipient of poor coaching both under frost and now. Don’t coaches at some point teach them not to throw into double coverage in the end zone in a tie game. Loss is 100% on Satts.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Travis Turner, some time around 1985, started a few games. He was kind of an HH physically but was a terrible thrower. He would often hit his offensive lineman in the back of their helmets.
He is better than at least two qbs we used yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
And yet it’s Rhule fault he didn’t get anyone better..
Half these dipshits don’t invest in the market thinking every pick is a winner..

Hey he made a bad decision doesn’t mean he won’t fix it.. Fan base like myself want to win enough for a bowl game but give him time to do diligence.

Bad thing is Sims was NEVER as bad as he's shown here. If we had the GT Sims we would've won at least two more games. I went back and watched some GT and Sims was NEVER THIS BAD lol

Not sure what the explanation is or that it matters right now. Bottom line they missed on him. I wasn't super high on him but he wasn't "this guy" we are seeing now. I'm not gonna lie part of me wonders if Satterfield is responsible for ruining him lol. I say that because I can admit I have kinda a Satterfield bias. I watched almost all of South Carolinas games being that I'm from the state and he was bad at SC. I hated when we signed him. SC was trying to get rid of him and we made him a top 10 paid OC in the country. I never understood it. But anyways I'll let that die because as bad as ive seen us play he's working with trash at the main position.

Holla

Reactions: hephusker
Bad thing is Sims was NEVER as bad as he's shown here. If we had the GT Sims we would've won at least two more games. I went back and watched some GT and Sims was NEVER THIS BAD lol

Not sure what the explanation is or that it matters right now. Bottom line they missed on him. I wasn't super high on him but he wasn't "this guy" we are seeing now. I'm not gonna lie part of me wonders if Satterfield is responsible for ruining him lol. I say that because I can admit I have kinda a Satterfield bias. I watched almost all of South Carolinas games being that I'm from the state and he was bad at SC. I hated when we signed him. SC was trying to get rid of him and we made him a top 10 paid OC in the country. I never understood it. But anyways I'll let that die because as bad as ive seen us play he's working with trash at the main position.

Holla
Sims couldn’t catch a snap and won’t put the ball away when running. That’s on the player. They run ball security drills. Watch Haarberg get 2 hands on the ball to at least try to prevent fumbles. It’s Sims. It’s not his coaching.

FWIW Rattler was a turnover machine at OU too. The fumbles and INTs I’m seeing aren’t anything we didn’t see from Adrian.

Talent around Joe Daily and “Bones” was, IMO, a little better than what we have now. FWIW… I’m 47 and this QB room is the worst I’ve seen in my lifetime.
Callahan’s first year was baaaaad! Too. Dailey got moved from QB after he transferred. He did have Ganz as a 2 star true freshman and he eventually produced somewhat. Other than that the room was terrible.

Reactions: V-Doub
Sims couldn’t catch a snap and won’t put the ball away when running. That’s on the player. They run ball security drills. Watch Haarberg get 2 hands on the ball to at least try to prevent fumbles. It’s Sims. It’s not his coaching.

FWIW Rattler was a turnover machine at OU too. The fumbles and INTs I’m seeing aren’t anything we didn’t see from Adrian.

He did the same thing a GT. He’s actually been even worse here(NU) but he was a turnover machine before he got here. Hopefully this is a valuable lesson learned by coach Rhule. Don’t try to rehabilitate or “develop” a turnover prone QB. Doesn’t matter how athletic or how much “potential” a player has, a leopard can’t change its spots, so just pass on turnover prone recruits/transfers. Not worth it, success rate is just too low.

leadership wise, the QB room this year is better than the past 6 years have been, and it shows in the win/loss column.. with 1 time in the past 6 years getting 5 wins in a season.. and we aren't done yet.

He did the same thing a GT. He’s actually been even worse here(NU) but he was a turnover machine before he got here. Hopefully this is a valuable lesson learned by coach Rhule. Don’t try to rehabilitate or “develop” a turnover probe QB. Doesn’t matter how athletic or how much “potential” a player has, a leopard can’t change its spots, so just pass on turnover prone recruits/transfers. Not worth it, success rate is just too low.
We see it every year in the NFL when a head coach and GM reach for a QB with flaws they think they can fix. About the only QB I’ve seen that work with has been Josh Allen and even then the turnovers are still a problem for him. I think it was Gil Brandt that I listened to talk about that and it’s repeated time after time by NFL teams. He says either a QB has it or they don’t by the time they’re a starting college QB.

Would Joe Dailey be an upgrade over what we have here now?
Not sure. I think Dailey was asked to do more as a passer than these guys (in Callahan’s offense after being recruited for Frank’s offense). As someone said, Callahan didn’t really try to adapt his offense to Dailey’s skill set. I don’t remember Callahan calling any option plays, that’s for sure. But regardless, it was tough to watch.

You are probably right. Just trying to figure out how a guy can fall so far off the cliff in one year. Also how an entire room of QBs can simply not protect the football. Especially coming from a coach like Ruhle who preached about not being able to play for him if you can't protect the ball. At this point I'm not sure what they will do moving forward for these last couple games.

I'd probably bring in 3 QBs next year. 2 portal guys and the HS kid. Hell I might consider 4 tbh. No we can we bring these guys back to play QB next year.

Who starts next week?

Holla

You are probably right. Just trying to figure out how a guy can fall so far off the cliff in one year. Also how an entire room of QBs can simply not protect the football. Especially coming from a coach like Ruhle who preached about not being able to play for him if you can't protect the ball. At this point I'm not sure what they will do moving forward for these last couple games.

I'd probably bring in 3 QBs next year. 2 portal guys and the HS kid. Hell I might consider 4 tbh. No we can we bring these guys back to play QB next year.

Who starts next week?

Holla
I watched several NFL QBs give games away with INTs yesterday. You’re always going to have some. I’m not ready to say Purdy would turn it over as much as HH and JS. I want to see more of him in this offense before I kick him to the curb. Purdy’s injuries have really prevented him from being a factor up until now.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Holla

I don't think he's handling the pressure here. Nobody gives a shit or pays any attention to GT whereas he's in a fishbowl here. He is completely broken IMO and not playable anymore.

Last edited:
leadership wise, the QB room this year is better than the past 6 years have been, and it shows in the win/loss column.. with 1 time in the past 6 years getting 5 wins in a season.. and we aren't done yet.
Adrian Martinez and Casey Thompson were good leaders overall. If they were running this offense we would likely be 8-2. Both just played on horrible teams with horrible OLs and horrible coaches.

Reactions: Maxout30
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT