ADVERTISEMENT

Will a .38 stop a bear?

Next week is my yearly trek above tree line in the Rockies to do some solo mountain biking for several days...historically I borrow an AK-47 for protection, (I sleep in the bed of my truck) but that resource is gone....which leaves me with my .38 and I have wadcutters for ammo. If it comes down to it, and I meet Mr. Bear. in the middle of the night..how fvcked am I????
My guess pretty fked. Hope that helps.

That's what he did. Maybe it would work on a grizzly too? ;)
I felt like it took him way too long to pick something up.. but I'm sure it's different in the moment, walking backwards trying to keep an eye on it, than sitting here watching it on youtube :)

He was lucky to just get backed off, being so close to those cubs.. another one might have just gone after him full throttle.

Reactions: solarpanels
I grew up in Alaska, and have a cabin on a remote island, I use to have to carry a 45 when I went trout fishing when I was a kid. It was basically just for loud noises, shooting over their heads and encouraging them to go the other direction. It wouldn’t even do it if a grizzly charged me. Same deal, I’d have to wait for them to get as close as possible and shoot them in the mouth. A 12 Gauge with slugs is really the only appropriate angry bear deterrent.

My problem has become arthritis in my hands. Hurts like hell to shoot my 38 let alone my 44 mag.
I understand your problem there bud. When I do shoot my revolver I shoot the Hornady light 38 special rounds, easier on the hands. I know they make 357 Bear rounds, but I'm guessing recoil would be your last concern if a Bear was coming straight at you.

south-park-jimbo.gif

Reactions: dinglefritz
I felt like it took him way too long to pick something up.. but I'm sure it's different in the moment, walking backwards trying to keep an eye on it, than sitting here watching it on youtube :)

He was lucky to just get backed off, being so close to those cubs.. another one might have just gone after him full throttle.
Are you talking about a hiker or your wife? Sounds scary in any scenario.

Lol at needing any gun for protection from a black bear... The US averages ONE black bear fatality a year and there's over 300k of them here. And they're forest creatures, it'd be extremely rare to see one above treeline.

Last edited:
Since thare are no brown bears in Colorado, you should be O.K. with pepper spray.

Last edited:
Lol at needing any gun for protection from a black bear... The US averages ONE black bear fatality a year and there's over 300k of them here. And they're forest creatures, it'd be extremely rare to see one above treeline.

Mmmm you should probably stick to topics you’re more familiar with. It isn’t just a matter of fatalities. While the odds of being mauled by a bear aren’t very high being prepared to deter an attack is always a good idea. I had a black bear scratching at my tent in the Boundary Waters with my 5 year old son in tow. All I had was a pocket knife. A week later in that same area a black bear came in to a campsite, grabbed a canoer by the head and then was dragging him in to the trees to eat him when his canoe partner intervened. He beat the bear with a paddle to get the bear to drop him. It took his buddy over a day to get him to help. The guy lost most of his scalp.

I didn’t own a handgun back then but I sure wish I did that night years ago. The Minnesota GFP easily located that bear, dispatched it, and did an autopsy finding human hair still in its gut. While someone might be biking above tree line you will note that his campsite picture is not. I’ve seen plenty of black bear scat above tree line.

Last edited:
Put a flashlight mount on it underneath in case of night creatures.
Very good advice. A night time tent attack had always been my biggest fear. Day hiking in the Bob Marshall Wilderness through thick underbrush will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck too. There’s been several predatory grizzly attacks just outside of Yellowstone over the past few years. One on a tent occupant and one on a resident hiking behind his house. Those are just the ones I know about. The wolves have decimated one of the grizzly’s favorite food sources, elk calves.

Reactions: king_kong_
Very good advice. A night time tent attack had always been my biggest fear. Day hiking in the Bob Marshall Wilderness through thick underbrush will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck too. There’s been several predatory grizzly attacks just outside of Yellowstone over the past few years. One on a tent occupant and one on a resident hiking behind his house. Those are just the ones I know about. The wolves have decimated one of the grizzly’s favorite food sources, elk calves.
Not even remotely the same scenario but a small led headlamp is priceless. I’ve been wearing one that last 2 years during calving and it is soooo much easier to handle wet cold babies with mean moms without fondling a spotlight in the process

Reactions: dinglefritz
Not even remotely the same scenario but a small led headlamp is priceless. I’ve been wearing one that last 2 years during calving and it is soooo much easier to handle wet cold babies with mean moms without fondling a spotlight in the process
I don’t mess with them after dark. I feed hay at about supper time and almost always have calves during daylight hours. Every now and then I’ll come out to a brand new baby at first light but it’s rare. The other thing I do is to chain an old light bale feeder to the front of my Kubota 110. I drop it over the calf and don’t have to worry about cows. I wrap the feeder in a cattle panel to prevent escape. I can tag and weigh the calf without worrying about getting hurt.

Next week is my yearly trek above tree line in the Rockies to do some solo mountain biking for several days...historically I borrow an AK-47 for protection, (I sleep in the bed of my truck) but that resource is gone....which leaves me with my .38 and I have wadcutters for ammo. If it comes down to it, and I meet Mr. Bear. in the middle of the night..how fvcked am I????
Only if it doesn't shit in the woods.

Ironically I just watched a hearing where our bureaucrat in charge of the parks was asked if he knew how many grizzlies there were and what the acceptable level was. He had no clue. Turns out the greater Yellowstone area has roughly 50% more grizzlies than it should be able to support. It’s why they’re spreading out in to the Bighorns etc. Coning soon to NW Nebraska and the Blackhills.

Ironically I just watched a hearing where our bureaucrat in charge of the parks was asked if he knew how many grizzlies there were and what the acceptable level was. He had no clue. Turns out the greater Yellowstone area has roughly 50% more grizzlies than it should be able to support. It’s why they’re spreading out in to the Bighorns etc. Coning soon to NW Nebraska and the Blackhills.
They are native to all the areas mentioned, why are you surprised they would spread?

They are native to all the areas mentioned, why are you surprised they would spread?
I’m not surprised. In the Yellowstone ecosystem they’re having to compete with expanding wolf packs. It’s time to remove federal protection for bears and wolves outside the parks.

I’m not surprised. In the Yellowstone ecosystem they’re having to compete with expanding wolf packs. It’s time to remove federal protection for bears and wolves outside the parks.
I disagree, but there we differ.

We have ranchers here, albiet small compared to Western USA, they gave up cattle for bison. Even our bears do not tangle with the bison.

I disagree, but there we differ.

We have ranchers here, albiet small compared to Western USA, they gave up cattle for bison. Even our bears do not tangle with the bison.
They do in Yellowstone. I had a neighbor who raised Buffalo. He got out of it this year. It’s a whole different game that requires different facilities etc.

What number of grizzlies do you want and why? They already walk down Main Street of Cody Wyoming. A number of years ago a ranger told me that one that was preying on livestock near Sheridan had been “relocated”. That’s a helluva long way from the Yellowstone ecosystem. The wolf thing is WAY out of control.

There have been only 25 known mountain lion attacks on humans in CO since 1990. Risk of animal attack while biking is tiny. Risk of crashing due to encountering stupid or inconsiderate people is a different story
A camper in Washington state was just attacked by a mountain lion over the weekend…..again. There’s been multiple fatalities over the last decade or so of hikers or bicyclists on trails in CA

• Wow
Reactions: king_kong_
Didn't read through the rest of the thread, but...

38 Special is not a good bear round. 357 Magnum should be the starting point for black bear, but is inadequate for grizzly. Where there may be grizzlies, 44 Magnum would be my starting point for revolvers. If you like autoloaders, 10mm is plenty for black bear and adequate for grizzlies.

If it were me, I'd be packing a 10mm personally.

I wonder if you shot it thru the eye if it would work, cause then the skull would'nt be in the way..and they probably got pretty battle hard skulls.

you would have to be like doc holiday

Didn't read through the rest of the thread, but...

38 Special is not a good bear round. 357 Magnum should be the starting point for black bear, but is inadequate for grizzly. Where there may be grizzlies, 44 Magnum would be my starting point for revolvers. If you like autoloaders, 10mm is plenty for black bear and adequate for grizzlies.

If it were me, I'd be packing a 10mm personally.

41 magnum is fully sufficient for a grizzly.

They went hungry for at least half a day then. One of the reasons our troop never went to Philmont. I would have pitied the bear that came in to our camps. Our scoutmaster was a grizzled old lineman whose hobby was guns and shooting. He had the barrel light and laser sight for night time. His pack was always 60lbs plus. Helluva guy rest his soul. One of his Eagle Scout sons is an outstanding gunsmith in Ft. Pierre SD. He builds competition rifles from scratch. Teton Traders.
I’m from ft. Pierre. And know a couple guys that know a lot about guns/ammo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT