ADVERTISEMENT

Why the lack of recruits?

Are we having problems recruiting because of Riley's poor showing this fall?
i-see-what-you-did-there-meme.jpg

No, a good recruiter/salesman can use this to their advantage, i.e. Bill Callahan 2005 class ranked #7.

That class was overrated and terrible, I've read it on here for the last eight years. Coaches know more than recruiting services, coaches know more than the fan base - funny how all that changes now that Blotard is gone.

That class was overrated and terrible, I've read it on here for the last eight years. Coaches know more than recruiting services, coaches know more than the fan base - funny how all that changes now that Blotard is gone.

My memory kinda sucks, but it seems like 75% of that class wasn't even on campus by the time they would have been redshirt juniors, highlighted by Beck.

My memory kinda sucks, but it seems like 75% of that class wasn't even on campus by the time they would have been redshirt juniors, highlighted by Beck.

75% is pretty high, I'd say it was closer to 50%. Around 30-ish% of the class (10 or 11 of the 32?) were JUCO guys. Let's see how many I can come up with. Redshirt juniors would mean the 2008 season, JUCO's not listed for obvious reasons...
  1. Harrison Beck
  2. Jordan Congdon
  3. Wallace Franklin, didn't qualify
  4. Brodrick Hunter, didn't qualify
  5. Leon Jackson
  6. Rodney Picou
  7. Robert Rand
  8. Craig Roark
  9. Jeff Souder
9 of the 32 didn't make it to their redshirt junior year, 2008 season. Add in the 11 JUCO players and that's 20 of 32 that were on campus for 3 seasons or less.

Crap, if you add in JUCO's, you're pretty damn close but IMO, that's a little misleading.

So this year, Clemson is ranked #7. Would you rather have Riley's 2016 class or Clemson's. The point is that Callahan was a good recruiter, even with bad years.

75% is pretty high, I'd say it was closer to 50%. Around 30-ish% of the class (10 or 11 of the 32?) were JUCO guys. Let's see how many I can come up with. Redshirt juniors would mean the 2008 season, JUCO's not listed for obvious reasons...
  1. Harrison Beck
  2. Jordan Congdon
  5. Leon Jackson
  6. Rodney Picou
  7. Robert Rand
  8. Craig Roark
  9. Jeff Souder
9 of the 32 didn't make it to their redshirt junior year, 2008 season. Add in the 11 JUCO players and that's 20 of 32 that were on campus for 3 seasons or less.

Crap, if you add in JUCO's, you're pretty damn close but IMO, that's a little misleading.

1. Harrison Beck
  2. Jordan Congdon
  5. Leon Jackson
  6. Rodney Picou
  7. Robert Rand
  8. Craig Roark
  9. Jeff Souder

Name escapes me, but there was a 4 star DE that originally committed to FSU Outta high school, went juco, then never played a snap for us if memory serves. I don't know his name but would recognize it. Started with a "J" I think. I know you said you didn't count juco's, but for some reason I always remembered that guy and being a juco wasn't the reason he didn't last. Again, this is all based on memory.Tomlin???

Name escapes me, but there was a 4 star DE that originally committed to FSU Outta high school, went juco, then never played a snap for us if memory serves. I don't know his name but would recognize it. Started with a "J" I think. I know you said you didn't count juco's, but for some reason I always remembered that guy and being a juco wasn't the reason he didn't last. Again, this is all based on memory.Tomlin???
Justin Tomerlin?

Wasn't that kid a TE? And Tomlin sounds about right.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/player-Justin-Tomerlin-31519

So this year, Clemson is ranked #7. Would you rather have Riley's 2016 class or Clemson's. The point is that Callahan was a good recruiter, even with bad years.

I'd rather have Clemson's 3 DL guys, which would put us at #16, as of today.

The point is, ever since he started recruiting in 2004, this very board said he's overrated as a recruiter.

1. Harrison Beck
  2. Jordan Congdon
  5. Leon Jackson
  6. Rodney Picou
  7. Robert Rand
  8. Craig Roark
  9. Jeff Souder

Leon Jackson was the big disappointment for me in that class. I really thought that kid would be a player. With the JUCO's they went about 50/50
Good:
Zac Taylor
Zack Bowman
Barry Cryer
Ola Dagunduro
Steve Octavien

In between
Bryan Wilson

Bad:
Dontrell Moore
Brok Pastuer
Jordon Picou
Tyrell Spain
Justin Tomerlin

I've said it over and over again. The legend of Bill Callahan as a great recruiter was a myth. The 2005 class is a prime example. Back then JUCO's were way over-valued on rivals, plus points were given out for all recruits, not just top 20, so big classes were really rewarded. Now the 2008 class that fell apart after his firing wold have been special.

i think i saw a list of visitors this coming weekend that the former coach would have never had or could have cared to have had on campus. there's a lot of work to be done all around, but there seems to be some great efforts going taking place.

I've said it over and over again. The legend of Bill Callahan as a great recruiter was a myth. The 2005 class is a prime example. Back then JUCO's were way over-valued on rivals, plus points were given out for all recruits, not just top 20, so big classes were really rewarded. Now the 2008 class that fell apart after his firing wold have been special.

Call me odd, but I still have my Lindy's Big 12 mag from that year.

The breakdown for that class was:(Rivals Rankings)

5* - 2
Zack Bowman
Marlon Lucky

4* - 10
Harrison Beck
Chris Brooks
Ola Dagunduro
Phil Dillard
Frantz Hardy
Leon Jackson
Steve Octavien
Rodney Picou
Suh
Justin Tomerlin

3* - 11
Jordon Congdon
Nick Covey
Barry Cryer
Wallace Franklin
Jacob Hickman
Brodrick Hunter
Dontrell Moore
Craig Roark
Tyrell Spain
Zac Taylor
Barry Turner

2* - 8
Cody Glenn
David Harvey
Brock Pasteur
Jordon Picou
Zach Potter
Robert Rands
Jeff Souder
Bryan Wilson

So class ranking is more important than results, like if they panned out and actually contributed? That's like saying a great chef only needs to make a dish that smells incredible, but if the dish tastes like dog$#!%, .....well he's still a good cook!

yuck.gif

Callahans class that year had 9 players that ended up getting an NFL contract and one was one of the best D players in the history of CFB. Callahan had some bombs but could find talent too.

With that being said, if we get......

Farniok
Jackson
One of the other OTs
Jefferson
Ivy
Fitz

......This class will be one of the best we have signed in 20 years. Top 3 for sure.

So class ranking is more important than results, like if they panned out and actually contributed? That's like saying a great chef only needs to make a dish that smells incredible, but if the dish tastes like dog$#!%, .....well he's still a good cook!

yuck.gif

Actually, Clemson just went 14-1 and played for the national championship. So, that's like saying a great chef needs great ingredients to make a great meal.

Actually, Clemson just went 14-1 and played for the national championship. So, that's like saying a great chef needs great ingredients to make a great meal.

My point was about the legendary recruiter Callahan, and his "stellar" 05 recruit class. Has nothing to do with Clemson

Reactions: timnsun

yuck.gif
I ask you again would you rather be #7 or #42?

I ask you again would you rather be #7 or #42?

I'd love a 7 class that we look back on in 4 years and say, "That class lived up to its ranking." If it doesnt, then that ranking is worth as much as my PowerBall tickets from the 1.5 bil drawing.

I'd prefer a class where a high percentage of players become contributors, over a supposed 5 class where so many never did.

Last edited:
I'd love a 7 class that we look back on in 4 years and say, "That class lived up to its ranking." If it doesnt, then that ranking is worth as much as my PowerBar tickets from the 1.5 bil drawing.

I'd prefer a class where a high percentage of players become contributors, over a supposed 5 class where so many never did.
Agreed.
A class ranking is a good start. It does mean something these days. But it's closer to a preseason ranking. How the class develops when on campus is key. Just ask LSU. USC. Florida. Etc. GBR

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT