ADVERTISEMENT

Why Mickey won't be head coach

If Mickey gets the job, the program is over. We will basically be assigned to the kids table of college football.

Luckily Trev Alberts wants Nebraska to win, so he is going to go out and get a proven winner. The idea of hiring Mickey Joseph is so insanely ludicrous it would be funny if it wasn't so scary after what we have seen the last 5 years.

Disagree there is 5 more game to prove himself despite what hand he was dealt from SF..

Beating 2 of 3 the worse teams in the league isn’t proof enough to hire him ASAP..
What more proof do you need? He is what he is. Nothing's going to change drastically this year one way or the other.

What more proof do you need? He is what he is. Nothing's going to change drastically this year one way or the other.
If he becomes head coach he isn’t keeping the whole staff, there will be changes.. I believe that is where your mind process is at..

Can we at least give the team 5 more games proving themselves instead of bitching and complaining? We’ve done too much of that for the last 8 years..

Those aren't the only things. Lack of head coaching experience and not winning enough games would factor in. If he finishes with a losing record, he should not be given the job.
Oh good, his record for a team that he didn't have much to do with putting it together or coaching it or selecting the OC and not to mention the DC was fired for being terrible.

The only thing missing is we just need a big scandal of some kind. I will make no comment if MJ should be the HC or now, that's Trevs call and he has all of the inside information but wow did MJ get handed a terrible mess.

Last edited:
aranda may want to get off baylors sinkin ship before it too late..0-6 in morgan town...

they lost 3 allready and the big 12 don't look like it's gonna get easier with tcu and okie light replaceing the 2 teams leaving.....plus it's gonna pay alot worse....rape cases may increase again...etc...
(aranda can pull a riley and bring his best players and coaches with him)

trev need to offer aranda big bucks, with the stipulation it includes mickey...

the worse that can happen is baylor has to give aranda a raise...

Reactions: TrueBigRedFan
NU was penalized 4 for 40 last night including a fairly ticky tack roughing and a DPI call. As many times as they passed we did well to not get flagged a lot for holding and DPI. I don't have a problem with the penalties last night.
Me neither.

If Mickey gets the job, the program is over. We will basically be assigned to the kids table of college football.

Luckily Trev Alberts wants Nebraska to win, so he is going to go out and get a proven winner. The idea of hiring Mickey Joseph is so insanely ludicrous it would be funny if it wasn't so scary after what we have seen the last 5 years.
Kids Table?! For the last twenty years we haven't even been invited to the Thanksgiving meal. Joseph all the way. He's generated more excitement for the program than Callahan did his third year. Little kids are coming up to me and saying they love Mickey. My grandma wants to knit me Mickey J. socks. Give up your hatred and join the Mickey J. club.

Reactions: GaRed
Pulling for MJ. Nobody out there is a sure fire bet other than Meyer. And he is not coming here.
The players seem to have really bought into Mickey.

If he doesn’t get the job, it will take a very special and humble man to then step back and give the team back to another, while remaining on the new staff.

And a new Head Coach may not want him on staff. And have to compete for the respect and leadership of the team. It can get a little messy.

I have no inside information, just experience. But I could see Mickey moving on if not given the job. And just as likely by his own decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walleye79
I've hired a lot of people over the past 40 years. I'm very impressed by the leadership shown by Mickey over the past few weeks. I think he has the goods. I've said it before on this board, a John Deere top exec told me at a Harvard football game, "hire smart people regardless of their major". Mickey's major was WR but he sure as hell seems to be able to run a program. IMO he's doing all the right things under very difficult circumstances.
I agree. I've been around and recognize leadership when I see it. Mickey has it.

I provided a list several weeks ago and it remains the same.
1. Urban
2. Mullen
3. Herman
4. Petersen
5. Deboer
6. Aranda
7. Leipold
8. Fickell
9. Rhule
10. BoB
11. Campbell
12. Klieman

All of these candidates have head coaching experience and some level of success. There's coordinators I would try before Mickey including Joe Brady, the Georgia offensive coordinator, and Garett Riley. The only other changes would be Leipold and Aranda flipped because I think Leipold is a better fit. Lane Kiffin deserves a look though it's probably a long shot.
You left Rockne and Lombardi off your imaginary wish list.

Reactions: Walleye79
NU was penalized 4 for 40 last night including a fairly ticky tack roughing and a DPI call. As many times as they passed we did well to not get flagged a lot for holding and DPI. I don't have a problem with the penalties last night.

I thought this was the best officiating crew we have seen this year. For the most part they left the flags in their pockets and stayed out of the way of the game.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I see a lot of people who are willing to entertain the idea, depending on how the rest of the season plays out, and then see if we have a realistic better option. Very few are all in...."sign him now" I would say more are...."Do nothing for now and see how this plays out"

Right now, as of this typing, realistic options who are great are in very short supply.
I think "overall", most that are in favor of Mickey would like to see how he manages the team down the stretch, then if they are satisfied they wouldn't mind him being named HC.

I think the majority, at a minimum, want Mickey retained by the next staff.

I don't recall seeing many just say "hire him now." Almost all pro-Mickey fans are saying let's see how it plays out before Trev hires or dismisses Mickey from the conversation.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The players seem to have really bought into Mickey.

If he doesn’t get the job, it will take a very special and humble man to then step back and give the team back to another, while remaining on the new staff.

And a new Head Coach may not want him on staff. And have to complete for the respect and leadership of the team. It can get a little messy.

I have no inside information, just experience. But I could see Mickey moving on if not given the job. And just as likely by his own decision.
If a new coach is hired, that would make 3 different Head Coaches in about 4 months?

So our true freshman kids would have already had 3 coaches, and maybe 1 or even 2 position coaches. (DC, that were fired).

Everything Frost and Mickey would have told them would be out the door.

Reactions: TrueBigRedFan
Your scenario makes zero sense. He allegedly is talking with "many agents' while at the same time "negotiating contracts"? So you are telling us Trec has multiple people he is working thr phones and deals with all at the same time?

Call me highly skeptical.
Do you buy a car or an appliance without knowing the price and extra features? I have hired many people, salary and benefits are always talked about in the initial phase of hiring... thst is one way to thin the herd.

Reactions: jsachisler
Do you buy a car or an appliance without knowing the price and extra features? I have hired many people, salary and benefits are always talked about in the initial phase of hiring... thst is one way to thin the herd.
Please, you are comparing buying an appliance to hiring a multimillon dollar leader of a program? I too have hired multiple people over the years in my career but never a college football coach possibly with an agent who also has potential.buy out options.and multiple other complex issues. Those "negotiations" are not going on with multiple people at the same time. Trev isn't negotiation on line 1 with one guy and line 2 with another for the position.

These coaches know what the salary may be and when both sides decide things are beneficial for both, they can negotiate a myriad of items.

Good grief what a dumb post. The biggest problem with this team right now is that we are thin and weak on both lines with no magic bullet players sitting on the bench ready to make their mark. We are also thin and awful at linebacker. This is what MJ is dealing with. And Trev knows that too. But Trev is in a bind here because he knows two things: 1) MJ was dealt a crappy hand and should not be judged on how many wins he has but on how much team discipline, "want to", and unity they have. However, 2) Trev also knows that if MJ loses all the rest of our games (and we could easily do that) and gets boat raced by Michigan that the optics are not good and there will be little momentum going into the recruiting season. No hype. No "new coach" bounce. But if Trev is smart, and he is, he will not base his decision on optics. He will take a long look at MJ and decide based on how good a coach he thinks he is for the long haul.

I provided a list several weeks ago and it remains the same.
1. Urban
2. Mullen
3. Herman
4. Petersen
5. Deboer
6. Aranda
7. Leipold
8. Fickell
9. Rhule
10. BoB
11. Campbell
12. Klieman

All of these candidates have head coaching experience and some level of success. There's coordinators I would try before Mickey including Joe Brady, the Georgia offensive coordinator, and Garett Riley. The only other changes would be Leipold and Aranda flipped because I think Leipold is a better fit. Lane Kiffin deserves a look though it's probably a long shot.
I'd be happy with any of those TBF, albeit a different order, but that is how we all are.

Reactions: oldjar07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT