ADVERTISEMENT

Why not move to a CFB playoff in 2020?

Oct 7, 2012
With COVID, it seems like the perfect time to make the change.

1. Eliminate all non-conference games. Keep it at ~8 games for 2020.
For 2021 & beyond, play 10 conference games + Conference Championships.

2. 8-team playoff with P5 conference winners getting in automatically, plus 3 at-large bids. Preserve the New Year's Six Bowls & rotation system:

- Round 1, Day 1: Peach (Atlanta) #2 vs. #7 | Cotton (Arlington) #1 vs. #8
- Round 1, Day 2: Sugar (NOLA) #4 vs. #6 | Fiesta (Glendale) #3 vs. #5
- Round 2: Winners play for Orange (Miami) & Rose (Pasadena) Bowls
- Round 3: Championship - Site TBD

3. Keep the "bowl season" but limit it to winning teams only. No 6-6, 5-7 teams. Cut out a few if you have to.

You could potentially keep 2 non-conference games, but I think 10 is reasonable if you are expanding the playoff. Those teams would end up playing 14-15. Plus, you'd really have to earn it in league play this way- I think the rivalries would really heat up.

Thoughts?

2. 8-team playoff with P5 conference winners getting in automatically, plus 3 at-large bids. Preserve the New Year's Six Bowls & rotation system:

3. Keep the "bowl season" but limit it to winning teams only. No 6-6, 5-7 teams. Cut out a few if you have to.

You could potentially keep 2 non-conference games, but I think 10 is reasonable if you are expanding the playoff. Those teams would end up playing 14-15. Plus, you'd really have to earn it in league play this way- I think the rivalries would really heat up.

Thoughts?

I have been in favor of eliminating non conf games forever. Most are pointless. Places like Bama and the SEC play 4 pointless games. Then are able to cake walk into a playoff spot Use those to play other conf teams. Use the bowl season to schedule and play a non conf foe.
I think the only way we can find a true conference championship is we have to be able to find the best of the conference. To do that all teams need to play every single team in the conference every year. Otherwise you get situations like we have ran into. We play Ohio state every single year and teams like MN or Iowa get Rutgers. If everyone played everyone else you will always find the best because nobody can make the argument that "our schedule was way tougher". How do we do this? All conferences go to a 14 team league and play 13 regular season games. I think we can do away with the conf championship since every teams plays each other, ties would be impossible. If Ohio St and Penn St are both 12-1 whichever team beat the other is conference champion. Can leave it at p5 or and another conf and go p6. May need to shuffle some teams around to make teams fit better geographically. Maybe we dump Rutgers and Maryland for Iowa St and Oklahoma .
Each of the p5 or p6 conference champions get an automatic spot in the 8 team playoff. Then yes we can do 2 or 3 at large teams. I don't mind how you laid out the playoffs. As far as bowls. I think we need to cut them WAY down. Maybe make it so you have to have 7 wins. 50% of the games is garbage team vs other garbage team. Could also use the bowl season as a time to play those old rivalries. Neb vs Oklahoma. Neb vs CU. Basically the the teams decided who they want to play and let bowls bid on which match up they want. Bowls can't have 2 teams in b2b years. Teams can only play another team once every 5 years. To help keep variety.
There are tons of options out there that could make this better and more competitive. Going to 8 in any format is a great start.

Reactions: HuskerMania257460
honest question, if we were in the Mac would we win the conference this year ?

I think we would. Which of these teams would you see us losing to?
I've included last year's records.

Akron 0-12
Ball State 5-7
Bowling Green 3-9
Buffalo 8-5
Central Michigan 8-6
Eastern Michigan 6-7
Kent State 7-6
Miami (OH) 8-6
Northern Illinois 5-7
Ohio 7-6
Toledo 6-6
Western Michigan 7-6

Get rid of bowl game tie-ins to the playoffs. They are pointless at this point. Tradition has been long ruined. Bowl games removed from association from the playoffs can return to what they were originally designed for... tourism. They'd be fun for those that didn't make the 8-team playoff. I couldn't care less if the NCAA wants to allow 6-6/5-7 teams to a crappy bowl. Teams don't have to accept the invite and 5-6 wins is unacceptable anyways. You hear that, Head Coach Scott Frost?

As for eliminating non-conference games, I'm against that. The problem is that the SEC doesn't play a fair schedule, like others have said. Four games against directional state. I like playing one of those games, a mid-level team and then a Top 20 non-conf team. It's great for warm ups to the conference schedule. Like others have said, it doesn't seem that we've been on the better end of the B1G scheduling. On the other hand, we were supposed to be the big baddies from the West.That never materialized. But that's why we haven't received the cupcake schedule. We were supposed to be much better. Change that and we'll welcome the tough schedule because it will make us stronger.

Reactions: husker2612
Get rid of bowl game tie-ins to the playoffs. They are pointless at this point. Tradition has been long ruined. Bowl games removed from association from the playoffs can return to what they were originally designed for... tourism. They'd be fun for those that didn't make the 8-team playoff. I couldn't care less if the NCAA wants to allow 6-6/5-7 teams to a crappy bowl. Teams don't have to accept the invite and 5-6 wins is unacceptable anyways. You hear that, Head Coach Scott Frost?

As for eliminating non-conference games, I'm against that. The problem is that the SEC doesn't play a fair schedule, like others have said. Four games against directional state. I like playing one of those games, a mid-level team and then a Top 20 non-conf team. It's great for warm ups to the conference schedule. Like others have said, it doesn't seem that we've been on the better end of the B1G scheduling. On the other hand, we were supposed to be the big baddies from the West.That never materialized. But that's why we haven't received the cupcake schedule. We were supposed to be much better. Change that and we'll welcome the tough schedule because it will make us stronger.

I guess I was thinking of eliminating non-conference as a widespread thing, not just the B1G. But yeah, if everyone else wasn't on board then it would be foolish for the conference.

Interestingly, coach Frost just had an interview last night and said the same thing. Doesn't like the idea because it puts the B1G at a disadvantage and increases risk of injury. I can see that jumping right into conference play without a "pre-season" of sorts.

Reactions: husker2612
As for eliminating non-conference games, I'm against that. The problem is that the SEC doesn't play a fair schedule, like others have said. Four games against directional state. .

every single team in the SEC (except Arkansas) played at least 9 regular season games against power 5 opponents last year (in the case of Tennessee - I gave credit for BYU). Florida and S Carolina played 10.

in 2020 every team in the SEC has at least 9 power 5 schools scheduled

so no SEC team - scheduled "four games against directional state".

I don’t understand the frequent claim that the SEC doesn't play a fair schedule when there is no rule that says you have to play 9 conference games. The big ten schedules 9 conference game for its members - if this results in a competitive disadvantage that is a big ten problem. Likewise no one is forcing big ten teams to schedule an additional power 5 team out of conference.

Nebraska has 9 power 5 schools scheduled in 2020 - the same as every single SEC team

I don't understand why it is an SEC problem that other teams/conferences electively choose to place themselves at a competitive disadvantage

Last edited:

Thoughts?
Interesting idea but I still think the best option — and it's not great — is Spring. Nebraska seems to be doing OK but look around the country. Here in AZ I will be shocked if our universities don’t very soon announce they will be online this Fall.

every single team in the SEC (except Arkansas) played at least 9 regular season games against power 5 opponents last year (in the case of Tennessee - I gave credit for BYU). Florida and S Carolina played 10.

I don’t understand the frequent claim that the SEC doesn't play a fair schedule when there is no rule that says you have to play 9 conference games. The big ten schedules 9 conference game for its members - if this results in a competitive disadvantage that is a big ten problem. Likewise no one is forcing big ten teams to schedule an additional power 5 team out of conference.

Nebraska has 9 power 5 schools scheduled in 2020 - the same as every single SEC team

I don't understand why it is an SEC problem that other teams/conferences electively choose to place themselves at a competitive disadvantage

Why would you give Tennessee credit for playing a Power 5 team in BYU, when it is not? Just because it doesn’t fit your story doesn’t make that okay.

Why would you give Tennessee credit for playing a Power 5 team in BYU, when it is not? Just because it doesn’t fit your story doesn’t make that okay.

for the same reason I would count Notre Dame as a power 5 equivalent opponent. BYU isn’t in a power 5 conference because they choose not be - not because they weren’t invited.

If you take out BYU does the fact that 12/14 rather than 13/14 SEC schools played 9 power 5 opponents change the argument

The reason big ten teams have to play at least 9 power 5 teams rests solely with the big ten

why are people concerned with SEC scheduling when it is clearly within the NCAA rules to schedule the way they do - the way the big ten and it’s member schools chooses to schedule isn’t an SEC problem

Most importantly the individual conferences recognize BYU as a power opponent - the same as they do Notre Dame or Clemson, West Virginia or Washington

Last edited:
BYU is not a power 5 school. Never has been, never will be. #Fact. They are also not Notre Dame. Also, #Fact.

#Fact

every conference recognizes BYU as fulfilling criteria as a power opponent - no different than playing Iowa, Ohio State, Indiana, or any other team in a power 5 conference

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fbschedules.com/should-byu-count-as-a-power-5-opponent/amp/

"Whether it’s officially sanctioned or not, each of the five Power 5 conferences count games vs. independent BYU in the same way as those with Notre Dame – as a Power opponent.

It’s a key designation as it means that scheduling a date with the Cougars fulfills league requirements of playing at least one non-conference Power foe. It’s equal to booking a game with Auburn, Oklahoma, UCLA, Michigan State or Louisville. It also means, due to the disparity natural to a sport with 130 teams, that a game vs. BYU is the same as a date with Vanderbilt, Kansas, Cal, Indiana or Wake Forest."

but again, regardless of the BYU question - nothing is keeping the big ten from adopting the same approach to scheduling as the SEC

Last edited:

spot on.

I honestly think it comes down to timing & the optics people get when the SEC schedule allows for one of their 4 non-con games later in the fall when everyone else is solely playing conference games

people outside of the SEC get all in their feelings when their team is battling a conference foe while they see ranked SEC teams playing troy or whoever on the crawl week 11

Reactions: jlb321

Little dick syndrom......

Nobody considers BYU a power 5 opponent, equivalent to a power 5 opponent, or equivalent to Norte Dame. Nobody. Except Mormons and morons.

Nobody considers BYU a power 5 opponent, equivalent to a power 5 opponent, or equivalent to Norte Dame. Nobody. Except Mormons and morons.

"The ACC, Big Ten, and SEC also count BYU as a Power Five opponent for scheduling purposes, and the Big Ten and SEC count Army as well."

below are the references (#Facts #gettingburied)

1. McMurphy, Brett (January 29, 2015). "ACC: BYU to count as Power 5 team". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
  2. ^ Jump up to:a b Fornelli, Tom (March 19, 2015). "SEC will consider Notre Dame, BYU, and Army as Power Five opponents". CBS. Retrieved September 17, 2016.
  3. ^ Jump up to:a b McMurphy, Brett (September 22, 2015). "Independents BYU, Army, Notre Dame can fulfill Power 5 quota for Big Ten". ESPN. Retrieved September 17, 2016.

Non conference games are essential in my opinion. They’re some of the most fun games of the year, especially to attend. Any plan that eliminates those would be a non starter for me. Also the SEC thing is silly. Just last year auburn played Oregon, LSU played at Texas, Georgia played Notre Dame, South Carolina played Clemson, Texas a&m played Clemson, Florida played Miami and Florida state, I’m sure there’s more but that’s just off the top of my head and I don’t care enough to do any research.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT