ADVERTISEMENT

Why is “Riley 2.0” an insult anymore?

During this coaching search I see a lot of “Riley 2.0”. Why does he catch so much flack when Frost won three games or less in his final three years here. Riley never got close to that. It all comes down to TO didn’t like Riley and he loved Frost
True let's not forget that after they won 9 games Riley was pretty much forced to fire his DC after his defense had improved from 2015 to 2016 because he said something positive about Iowa. So after 2 years he had pick 6 Tanner and then a crazy man as DC.

3 years. 2 bowl games. 7-0 start and ranked in 2016, 4 game improvement over year 1. Class act on and off the field. Mixed metaphor, but hindsight is one helluva drug.

If Eichorst had left him alone, Riley would have done at least as well as several of the candidates we’re now considering. Having him fire Banker (which, to be fair, Riley should have refused) was the death knell for his regime. I no longer believe one word of the badmouthing involving weight training—not when it’s now so obvious that it was just another of Frost’s patented finger pointing routines.

Frost failed but he was the hottest coaching candidate in the country when we hired him. Riley was a huge "WTF?" hire that surprised and underwhelmed everyone from Nebraska fans to the national pundits. In my mind referring to someone as a "Riley 2.0" isn't really about what he did here as a coach but just is a way to say a candidate is underwhelming or not exciting. Which, in the end who gives a crap? I'll take a boring 9 wins.

3 years. 2 bowl games. 7-0 start and ranked in 2016, 4 game improvement over year 1. Class act on and off the field. Mixed metaphor, but hindsight is one helluva drug.

If Eichorst had left him alone, Riley would have done at least as well as several of the candidates we’re now considering. Having him fire Banker (which, to be fair, Riley should have refused) was the death knell for his regime. I no longer believe one word of the badmouthing involving weight training—not when it’s now so obvious that it was just another of Frost’s patented finger pointing routines.
Correct it was always going to be a tough transition with a new QB but the defense would have kept us in games. Also if Tre Bryant had stayed healthy I think we would have had the closest thing to a BIG style team. Tre was the real deal. And he even had a FB.

Yes the weight thing was a big lie that fans were told. Honestly our strength training was much better with Riley. 2016 we led the country in 4th quarter stats for awhile.

During this coaching search I see a lot of “Riley 2.0”. Why does he catch so much flack when Frost won three games or less in his final three years here. Riley never got close to that. It all comes down to TO didn’t like Riley and he loved Frost
I just find it annoying because it's not accurate most of the time. If it was Monken or Fitzgerald, or Shaw, I could see the moniker Riley 2.0 fitting that. But it's been used to describe BoB, Leipold, or Campbell, I just don't see the comparison whatsoever.

Frost failed but he was the hottest coaching candidate in the country when we hired him. Riley was a huge "WTF?" hire that surprised and underwhelmed everyone from Nebraska fans to the national pundits. In my mind referring to someone as a "Riley 2.0" isn't really about what he did here as a coach but just is a way to say a candidate is underwhelming or not exciting. Which, in the end who gives a crap? I'll take a boring 9 wins.

This. Except I'll never be happy with just 9 wins.

Reactions: mgbreis
I just find it annoying because it's not accurate most of the time. If it was Monken or Fitzgerald, or Shaw, I could see the moniker Riley 2.0 fitting that. But it's been used to describe BoB, Leipold, or Campbell, I just don't see the comparison whatsoever.

Campbell is exactly Riley. Look at the dudes record. It doesn't matter if you're at Oregon st or Iowa state or Texas. If you're mediocre and have tenure proving it. You're mediocre.

Never thought I’d see the day where Husker fans pine for the days of Mike Riley
We’re not…and TO had nothing to do with hiring or firing Riley…

Not blaming him ( Riley) they weren’t a physical football team his teams were soft and not physical…Only Wes worse the past 2 years was these two past springs watching Frost spring games of touch football..We need to get back being more physical football team.

SE is the blame for the hire when we could have had much better options and who knows a better hire may have never hiring SF 5 years ago…

But that is now all water under the bridge.

• Love
Reactions: Sinomatic
Well you better find a way to be. We are currently one of the worst football programs in all of college football. We have a long ways to go to get back to 9 wins.
Worst power 5 program. Thanks frosturbators

Worst power 5 program. Thanks frosturbators
Honestly Im not sure we could beat the Dakota schools or very many FCS schools out there. It is inconceivable to me that with the amount of recruiting talent that we have....and yes we have been at the top of the west...that we could at any point get beat by a slue of FCS schools. I don't get it.

Well you better find a way to be. We are currently one of the worst football programs in all of college football. We have a long ways to go to get back to 9 wins.

As the great Bob Devaney said: "Nebraska fans are with you win or tie."

And remember...he was talking about the greatest generation at that time for the most part...I am not of that greatest generation, so don't expect too much of me...or more from me than that generation.

GO BIG RED!!!

True let's not forget that after they won 9 games Riley was pretty much forced to fire his DC after his defense had improved from 2015 to 2016 because he said something positive about Iowa. So after 2 years he had pick 6 Tanner and then a crazy man as DC.
Dare I offer that we would be in a better place as a program had he been allowed to keep Banker and he was still here?

Honestly Im not sure we could beat the Dakota schools or very many FCS schools out there. It is inconceivable to me that with the amount of recruiting talent that we have....and yes we have been at the top of the west...that we could at any point get beat by a slue of FCS schools. I don't get it.
We beat North Dakota and Fordham during our worst years, so we could beat most FCS schools.

Dare I offer that we would be in a better place as a program had he been allowed to keep Banker and he was still here?
Better than 3 wins a year? Probably true! Riley was "meh" from the get go. It's crazy that Frost was so laughably bad that he makes us look at Riley like:
We Want You Back Season 4 GIF by The Office

Somehow we seem immune to the changing fortunes of P5 football. It's been a long, long time since any of this has been fun. I hate to be negative but I won't be surprised at all if we continue to suck. Hmmmm.... I might be depressed...
Remember the “it will take 10 years to get us out of this place” crap the frosturbators liked to parrot? How long now? 50 years? Do we just fold the program?
I wonder if there will be articles written about how the coaches would be in favor of not playing for 2 years, just so they could field a competitive team?

We beat North Dakota and Fordham during our worst years, so we could beat most FCS schools.
We are currently in our worst years. While we could probably beat most FCS schools. We could not beat them all. Im not sure this team at this point right now could beat North Dakota.

Reactions: mgbreis
We are currently in our worst years. While we could probably beat most FCS schools. We could not beat them all. Im not sure this team at this point right now could beat North Dakota.
We just beat North Dakota. North Dakota State might be a problem as well as SDSU.

Riley was a pretty wtf hire but his second year was good before the injuries started piling up
The win over Michigan State in 2015 was the last time Nebraska beat a ranked opponent.
Best win since 97. No joke. That Michigan state team won the big 10 including beating a very good Ohio State team in the shoe. With that said Mike Riley never should have been hired. Most predictable failure of any husker coach since predevaney

Reactions: moralvictories
Both Frost and Riley were BAD COACHES! The difference is that it was very clear when Riley was hired that he was going to turn out bad. Didn't need a crystal ball because he had a bad historical track record. Frost on the other hand seemed like a very promising hotshot when hired though obviously he turned out bad as well (in the end the worst hire of all).

Reactions: moralvictories
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT