ADVERTISEMENT

Whistle happy officials....

donahues17

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 5, 2005
In the BIG tourney for this Illinois vs Iowa game. I like the games where they let them play. Hopefully we get different officials for Friday.

Ill give Iowa credit, they shot damn good from the line. It surprised me that they over turned 2 different foul calls. Take the whislte out of your mouth.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Yeah, I hate games where there is a whistle every trip down court. Same with flags o'plenty in football.

Then again, if a team is going to blatantly foul, what are the refs to do? At some point they have to call the action on the court.

Yeah, I hate games where there is a whistle every trip down court. Same with flags o'plenty in football.

Then again, if a team is going to blatantly foul, what are the refs to do? At some point they have to call the action on the court.

I agree to a point. But when they stop the play to review the foul only to reverse it and say it wasnt a foul? Let em play.

Iowa shot 43 freethrows...illinois 12..hmm
Despite the Illinois coaches desire to drive on Iowa the players rarely did...settling for 30 three point attempts instead. Iowa on the other hand pounded the ball inside to pickup most those fouls.

Every fan base thinks the officials are missing fouls on their teams and they do but Illinois in your face defense deserved those fouls and probably many more that wasn't called do to referee fatigue blowing the whistle.

Not saying every Iowa foul was called but the discrepancy is warranted the way this game was played. Iowa doubled them up on rebounds as well.

Despite the Illinois coaches desire to drive on Iowa the players rarely did...settling for 30 three point attempts instead. Iowa on the other hand pounded the ball inside to pickup most those fouls.

Every fan base thinks the officials are missing fouls on their teams and they do but Illinois in your face defense deserved those fouls and probably many more that wasn't called do to referee fatigue blowing the whistle.

Not saying every Iowa foul was called but the discrepancy is warranted the way this game was played. Iowa doubled them up on rebounds as well.

Yep. Watched the game....in this instance the foul discrepancy had nothing to do with an officiating crew being one sided.

Reactions: Razorhawk2
The Illini play such an aggressive style of D (I think they force 20 turnovers a game) but they also lead the nation in fouls (I think)...But if they get a rim protector...watch out. They will be nasty.

That Kansas game you're referring to on foul discrepencies was horrid. The horrid part was that WV should've been called for at least 7-8 more fouls. Huggins tells his players to forearm check and initiate contact all over the court (both are fouls). His strategy is to basically wear the officials down. It's a really bad tactic but it does give him the ability to cry when they lose.

If one team wants to foul and the others don't, then it makes perfect sense to see a lop sided # of fouls on one team vs the other. That alone does not mean any team is getting screwed. If you don't want to see fouls called, then don't foul. You can play clean or dirty, there is a choice.

That Kansas game you're referring to on foul discrepencies was horrid. The horrid part was that WV should've been called for at least 7-8 more fouls. Huggins tells his players to forearm check and initiate contact all over the court (both are fouls). His strategy is to basically wear the officials down. It's a really bad tactic but it does give him the ability to cry when they lose.

If one team wants to foul and the others don't, then it makes perfect sense to see a lop sided # of fouls on one team vs the other. That alone does not mean any team is getting screwed. If you don't want to see fouls called, then don't foul. You can play clean or dirty, there is a choice.
I thought forearm checking was okay now...you just can't extend the arm. Right?

The whole complexion of a game and frequently the outcome can change based on subjective calls from ref to ref. But what are you going to do, have players call their own? The ones that frustrate me are the “action in close proximity” calls. Where a defender is in the face of a player, they go up together, defender barely touches the shooter, does not affect the shot, but the ref blows the whistle because their COULD have been a foul. Tough job, but some refs like to let everybody know they’re there.

Reactions: Razorhawk2
Who knows. It's never called consistently. Only thing is sort of clear is that you can't touch any ball handler with both hands, even if they are mowing you over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Nothing like going to my niece's 8th grade basketball game and having 2 old guys as officials think they are reffing the Final Four. They called a combined 41 fouls during the game and these are just 6 minute quarters. Half of the fouls called were off the ball fouls. They absolutely ruined any chance these girls had to go out and have fun playing basketball.

^^^
I would've let the officials know exactly that sentiment afterwards. Its important they understand the rules but it's a sport that will have contact as part of the normal play.

The real kick in the shins is the inconsistency from official to official (especially when you are in the tournament). One game every guy might foul out...the next looks like WWE.

GBR

My point was to say iowa benefited from the foul line..when Nu pounded the hawks all we heard was that we only won because of our transfers and the refs having a glaring difference at the line in favor of NU..that is all

Here is the 10.1.4 / "freedom of movement" rule:

"The following acts constitute a foul when committed against a player with the ball:

a. Keeping a hand or forearm on an opponent;
b. Putting two hands on an opponent.
c. Continually jabbing an opponent by extending an arm(s) and placing a hand or forearm on the opponent;
d. Using an arm bar to impede the progress of a dribbler."

An arm bar is not allowed anywhere outside of the post box. Are you referring to on-ball defenders?

Here is the 10.1.4 / "freedom of movement" rule:

"The following acts constitute a foul when committed against a player with the ball:

a. Keeping a hand or forearm on an opponent;
b. Putting two hands on an opponent.
c. Continually jabbing an opponent by extending an arm(s) and placing a hand or forearm on the opponent;
d. Using an arm bar to impede the progress of a dribbler."

An arm bar is not allowed anywhere outside of the post box. Are you referring to on-ball defenders?
I am, yes. Like at the top of 3 point line. So according to the roles when the defender touches the guy with the ball with his hand it should be a foul.

I am, yes. Like at the top of 3 point line. So according to the roles when the defender touches the guy with the ball with his hand it should be a foul.

The language I've had communicated to me is that a "stayed" hand is a foul. A "hot stove" touch, is not. It comes down to if that contact interrupts freedom of movement. I see it refereed all the time where an armbar from a defender is placed on a dribbler but is then removed without interrupting freedom of movement. I would consider it marginal contact. Some may not.

But yes, largely the NCAA wants FOM contact on the dribbler called a foul.

Reactions: davecisar
The language I've had communicated to me is that a "stayed" hand is a foul. A "hot stove" touch, is not. It comes down to if that contact interrupts freedom of movement. I see it refereed all the time where an armbar from a defender is placed on a dribbler but is then removed without interrupting freedom of movement. I would consider it marginal contact. Some may not.

But yes, largely the NCAA wants FOM contact on the dribbler called a foul.
Cool, thanks!

Reactions: ThrowBones92
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT