ADVERTISEMENT

Where are J. Woodyard and Miles Jones

TheOutline

All-American
Gold Member
May 18, 2002
Charlotte, NC
If speed is so important to this offense, why do we not see our two fastest kids? something seems amiss!?!?!? Any ideas? I know it might be a playbook issue, but Miles is VERY intelligent, does not need and playbook assistance. We want playmakers beside Stan and JD, so play these lads. Bell not nearly as good as advertised, so far. Not explosive at all, some power.

If speed is so important to this offense, why do we not see our two fastest kids? something seems amiss!?!?!? Any ideas? I know it might be a playbook issue, but Miles is VERY intelligent, does not need and playbook assistance. We want playmakers beside Stan and JD, so play these lads. Bell not nearly as good as advertised, so far. Not explosive at all, some power.

<Sarcasm> Obviously, our coaches are idiots! </Sarcasm>

Miles Jones is young, and had an eye injury. I think DB said on the radio that Woodyard just needs to be able to play as fast as he is, and not have to think as much. Once that clicks, he will be out there.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Miles Jones is young, and had an eye injury. I think DB said on the radio that Woodyard just needs to be able to play as fast as he is, and not have to think as much. Once that clicks, he will be out there.
Let's hope so, the statements about no one to spell Stanley and JD seem crazy. We must have 10 WR - what about Hunt, McQuitty, Lindsey (zero production). Makes no sense, unless there is a HUGE gap. Maybe it's perimeter blocking that is missing

Let's hope so, the statements about no one to spell Stanley and JD seem crazy. We must have 10 WR - what about Hunt, McQuitty, Lindsey (zero production). Makes no sense, unless there is a HUGE gap. Maybe it's perimeter blocking that is missing
You nailed it at the end. They have to be able to block or their playing time will be limited. Speed isn’t the only factor to consider. Also... you have to be able to run precise routes and to know how to get off of press coverage without losing the route. The guys on the other side of the ball are also fast. You have to have more than speed. If speed is the only factor, Jamal Turner would have been a great receiver. He wasn’t.

Yeah, I get the blocking part but if I have Randy Moss on my team I don't care if he can block...he is playing. So if they have a burner that can stretch the field you might as well get him out there and give him 2-3 shots per game.

I coached a team years ago and we had a burner at RB...but every game we would line him up as wide as we could and just send him deep...our QB would just lunch one up to him...It worked a lot of the times. We didn't teach him any other routes, didn't teach him anything other than "Go run fast"

Reactions: huskerfan66

I think more than anything we have to realize this is the 3rd game. I have no inside info on this, but I think you will start to see these players trickle in. It will only be a matter of time. Kind of like last week on D, we got to see Cam Taylor and Caleb Tannor. Baby steps.

I think more than anything we have to realize this is the 3rd game. I have no inside info on this, but I think you will start to see these players trickle in. It will only be a matter of time. Kind of like last week on D, we got to see Cam Taylor and Caleb Tannor. Baby steps.
Yup. Regardless of where they came from (HS or JUCO) and how much time they've spent in practice, translating to the field on game day takes longer for some guys than it does for others. We don't want guys to play who are going to make mistakes, but sometimes practice only takes you so far, you have to make mistakes at game speed in order for it to start to click. Even then, it takes time. Two games is not enough time for it to clock for many players.

Yeah, I get the blocking part but if I have Randy Moss on my team I don't care if he can block...he is playing. So if they have a burner that can stretch the field you might as well get him out there and give him 2-3 shots per game.

I coached a team years ago and we had a burner at RB...but every game we would line him up as wide as we could and just send him deep...our QB would just lunch one up to him...It worked a lot of the times. We didn't teach him any other routes, didn't teach him anything other than "Go run fast"
I see your point, but this is big boy football, and if you do that every game it gets scouted out and you end up telegraphing your plays based on personnel packages. You want the guys you have out there to be able to execute the whole offense.

Yup. Regardless of where they came from (HS or JUCO) and how much time they've spent in practice, translating to the field on game day takes longer for some guys than it does for others. We don't want guys to play who are going to make mistakes, but sometimes practice only takes you so far, you have to make mistakes at game speed in order for it to start to click. Even then, it takes time. Two games is not enough time for it to clock for many players.
The whole team is making a zillion mistakes. Would be 2-0 if the mistakes were cut by just 30-40%

You could always watch the coach interviews for like the last 3 weeks. You will find your answers there.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
The whole team is making a zillion mistakes. Would be 2-0 if the mistakes were cut by just 30-40%

Saying there are a zillion mistakes is silly unless you're seeing how they're grading out in film. You only need one breakdown on a play to cost you. Look at their last TD run. We had ONE player out of position and not execute his assignment, and it costs us big time.

I was just referring to the players new to college football. But being in year two in the program doesn't mean mistakes are gone, for sure. There are plenty to go around.

Totally agree. Another tidbit that hasn't been mentioned is our TE blocking. In order for Frost's quad formations to work to their potential, the TE blocking is crucial for getting his block to keep the edge open for just a split second longer. It's no surprise that Jurgens got some snaps because most of our TEs have a long way to go blocking-wise.

"If you don't block, you don't get the rock."

Reactions: bshirt73
Seems like smoke and mirrors coming from the coaches. There’s no way that many players need to step up. Can’t that many receivers be doing less than Tyjon.

Seems like smoke and mirrors coming from the coaches. There’s no way that many players need to step up. Can’t that many receivers be doing less than Tyjon.
So what is the answer then? If there can’t be that many players needing to step up, do they just suck?

So what is the answer then? If there can’t be that many players needing to step up, do they just suck?
Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. I have a hard time believing six other receivers aren’t working hard enough or hasn’t proven themselves.

Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. I have a hard time believing six other receivers aren’t working hard enough or hasn’t proven themselves.
Then what? Are they in the doghouse? There has to be a reason, and all those receivers in the doghouse doesn’t make much sense to me.

I guess I don’t get why we can’t, from time to time, take the coaches’ word for it... it’s a new system and the coaches have higher expectations... maybe the guys playing beneath them haven’t hit it yet, just as the coaches have said. Why does it have to be the coaches pulling a fast one? Smoke and mirrors? What are they trying to hide?

Reactions: ThrowBones92
Then what? Are they in the doghouse? There has to be a reason, and all those receivers in the doghouse doesn’t make much sense to me.

I guess I don’t get why we can’t, from time to time, take the coaches’ word for it... it’s a new system and the coaches have higher expectations... maybe the guys playing beneath them haven’t hit it yet, just as the coaches have said. Why does it have to be the coaches pulling a fast one? Smoke and mirrors? What are they trying to hide?
And why can’t people just have free will to think what they want?

I have no problem with you thinking what you want. Just tell us what your thinking. Just don’t leave it open ended. When you say smoke and mirrors it feels like you are insinuating something and I don’t know what it is. Are the coaches being deceitful? Are they covering something up? Or are they playing it close to the vest to keep Michigan guessing? Are the players we have not up to snuff for the coaches’ liking? I just don’t know what you think is going on, which is why I’m asking more questions.

You may be right... but I can’t read your mind either, so I’m curious what you think it is.

It may sound like I’m attacking you, and my bad, that’s not it. We all want to know what’s going on. But we are long on questions and short on answers.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Totally agree. Another tidbit that hasn't been mentioned is our TE blocking. In order for Frost's quad formations to work to their potential, the TE blocking is crucial for getting his block to keep the edge open for just a split second longer. It's no surprise that Jurgens got some snaps because most of our TEs have a long way to go blocking-wise.

"If you don't block, you don't get the rock."

And yet, there is talk this week about moving Jurgens to defensive line next year. I cannot understand that. The kid is big, yes. And he'll get even bigger while he's here, but he's got good speed for his size and good hands. He played everywhere on offense in high school and he will become a great blocker in this offense. What's wrong with a 270 pound TE who blocks like an offensive tackle?

Reactions: maplesyrup95
You have the free will to say and think what you want. You think you are special and the rest of us don’t? You better believe you are going to get called out when you call coaches liars.

The reason you aren’t seeing more of those players was asked directly to the coaches and they answered clearly and specifically.

You are calling them liars. The burden of proof is on you. So out with it, why aren’t they playing?

I’m more surprised that we haven’t seen Woodyard contribute more since we heard so much about him coming in as JC transfer...

I have no problem with you thinking what you want. Just tell us what your thinking. Just don’t leave it open ended. When you say smoke and mirrors it feels like you are insinuating something and I don’t know what it is. Are the coaches being deceitful? Are they covering something up? Or are they playing it close to the vest to keep Michigan guessing? Are the players we have not up to snuff for the coaches’ liking? I just don’t know what you think is going on, which is why I’m asking more questions.

You may be right... but I can’t read your mind either, so I’m curious what you think it is.

It may sound like I’m attacking you, and my bad, that’s not it. We all want to know what’s going on. But we are long on questions and short on answers.
Well I listen to all the interviews, read all the articles, same as most fans. What has been obvious to me is that Walters has been high on Andre Hunt from day one and Held has had very positive feedback about Jones. From one week to the next they make very bold comments about their playmaking abilities but yet neither are on the field. Same with Cam Taylor on defense. One thing I’ve noticed is that Held always qualifies his positive feedback with something like “of course the decision on who plays is up to Coach Frost”. I think there are mixed feelings among the coaching staff about who should be in the rotation. And at the end of the day Frost is making all decisions including playcalling and personnel. It seems like this week the position coaches have been less committal publicly about whose gonna be added to the rotation. Maybe it’s to keep Michigan guessing or maybe Coach Frost told them to stop talking.

Reactions: saluno22
Well I listen to all the interviews, read all the articles, same as most fans. What has been obvious to me is that Walters has been high on Andre Hunt from day one and Held has had very positive feedback about Jones. From one week to the next they make very bold comments about their playmaking abilities but yet neither are on the field. Same with Cam Taylor on defense. One thing I’ve noticed is that Held always qualifies his positive feedback with something like “of course the decision on who plays is up to Coach Frost”. I think there are mixed feelings among the coaching staff about who should be in the rotation. And at the end of the day Frost is making all decisions including playcalling and personnel. It seems like this week the position coaches have been less committal publicly about whose gonna be added to the rotation. Maybe it’s to keep Michigan guessing or maybe Coach Frost told them to stop talking.
Thanks for clarifying. You could be right on either count. Ultimately the head coach makes the call. I believe Bo was the one who said to go with Martinez back in the day...

Reactions: msjgroup

As we saw with game 1 and 2...throwing people in front of 90k when they are not completely comfortable with the system will lead to turnovers and losses. Both of our losses happened because of drops, turnovers, and missed assignments. None of those things has to do with speed. Throwing a fast kid in does nothing if he fumbles, runs the wrong route, which leads to a tipped pass and an INT(look at Troy game), or misses assignments. Winning in college football is way harder than it looks. Most teams have equal talent to us, so the difference is the # of mistakes, young guys without experience are going to cost us games.

Also, "where in the world is Carmen Sandiego"?

Woodyard dropping too many balls in Practice. Jones been on campus about 90 days and has good talent ahead of him.

Don't know about Jones but the rumor is that Woodyard has been dropping balls in practice, hence the bench. Speed is useless if you don't catch the ball.

As it should be. Frost should be making the decisions. The buck stops with him.

Maybe they did not buy in

Well, Woodyard is playing. Just got a kick catch interference penalty in the middle of the first quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT