ADVERTISEMENT

Where’s Carter Nelson?

3. If he's really good, he's not coming back for the 2028 season anyway.
This one is tough to say with NIL. It depends on a few factors. Most TE's are later round picks, if he really likes it here and is getting as much money as he would on a smaller rookie deal. He could be one of those guys who stay an extra year. There are two or three kids each year who stay an extra year. That Penn State TE is one of them this year.

Reactions: dinglefritz
This one is tough to say with NIL. It depends on a few factors. Most TE's are later round picks, if he really likes it here and is getting as much money as he would on a smaller rookie deal. He could be one of those guys who stay an extra year. There are two or three kids each year who stay an extra year. That Penn State TE is one of them this year.
Nelson isn't a TE, he's a WR, and these kids are at a premium in the NFL draft.

The ability to play football is limiting him. Great great athlete but not a difference making football player yet. I went to more than one East game when he was there where I didnt hear his name the entire game. A guy with that frame and that speed should have dominated Nebraska state football. He didn’t. At least one of the major newspapers didn’t even name his First Team All State. I hope he gets better. Again - great athlete.
Rhule has made a career out of finding those kind of athletes and turning them in to great players, but not all of the guys he took turned out. Malachai can be as good as he wants but it takes a HUGE amount of want to play P5 football no matter how talented you are.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
The ability to play football is limiting him. Great great athlete but not a difference making football player yet. I went to more than one East game when he was there where I didnt hear his name the entire game. A guy with that frame and that speed should have dominated Nebraska state football. He didn’t. At least one of the major newspapers didn’t even name his First Team All State. I hope he gets better. Again - great athlete.
For those of us who watched his HS career (I watched almost every game), him disappearing at the D1 level is not very surprising.

Nelson isn't a TE, he's a WR, and these kids are at a premium in the NFL draft.
IF he grows up like many think he will, he'll be a hybrid TE in the NFL. IF he doesn't fill out his frame he's probably not a special WR in the NFL.

Rhule has made a career out of finding those kind of athletes and turning them in to great players, but not all of the guys he took turned out. Malachai can be as good as he wants but it takes a HUGE amount of want to play P5 football no matter how talented you are.
Or maybe what Rhule is saying is accurate and he was going to miss half of the season with his shoulder, so they decided to wait until Game 9 to begin his RS season. People seem to forget that he did a lot more than most true freshmen last season, thinking that he should have been NFL Randy Moss right out of the gate.

I think that's unlikely.
Why, because he wasn't NFL Gronk on day one?

I think by next season, Nelson will be a dominant player, someone who because of his combination of size and speed will be almost impossible to cover.

I don't recall either IGC or Coleman being as bad at blocking as we've seen from the starters. They also were able to get open no less frequently. Again, we keep banging our head against the wall expecting the same damn thing which hasn't worked to work somehow, but of course it doesn't... Maybe it's time to try something different for once.
I'm over Banks, not quite completely out on Neyor yet.

I wish they'd insert Bullocks and Bonner in at WR... They're better at blocking at least. Seems like our offensive style wants to attack the perimeter more than down field (between an the screens and jet setup stuff). Blockers are needed in that case.

Pitts - 6’6”, 245lbs
Nelson - 6’4” 225lbs

Literally the same
Jesus, Nelson is 19 years old, Pitts is 24 and in the NFL now. Nelson is listed at 6' 5" - 230lbs on Huskers.com.

Pitts Rivals Profile

Kyle
Pitts

TE

6'4"

Warminster, PA

Florida

Nelson's Rivals Profile

Carter
Nelson

TE

6'5"

Ainsworth, NE

Jesus, Nelson is 19 years old, Pitts is 24 and in the NFL now. Nelson is listed at 6' 5" - 230lbs on Huskers.com.

Pitts Rivals Profile

Kyle
Pitts

TE

6'4"

Warminster, PA

Florida

Nelson's Rivals Profile

Carter
Nelson

TE

6'5"

Ainsworth, NE

We just need Nelson to turn into another version of Johnny Mitchell or Junior Mitchell.

We just need Nelson to turn into another version of Johnny Mitchell or Junior Mitchell.
Since he's not a TE, that's not possible. Junior MILLER was bigger than any of them. It's funny, he was listed at 6'4", but in the huddle he was 2-3" taller than the 6'5" linemen.

Also Miller and Mitchell are not in the same league because Miller was a killer blocker and Mitchell never blocked a soul.

Since he's not a TE, that's not possible. Junior MILLER was bigger than any of them. It's funny, he was listed at 6'4", but in the huddle he was 2-3" taller than the 6'5" linemen.

Also Miller and Mitchell are not in the same league because Miller was a killer blocker and Mitchell never blocked a soul.
I don't want to bust your chops. You're a good poster but Nelson was recruited as a TE and has started at WR because of his lack of TE size at this point.

I'm over Banks, not quite completely out on Neyor yet.

I wish they'd insert Bullocks and Bonner in at WR... They're better at blocking at least. Seems like our offensive style wants to attack the perimeter more than down field (between an the screens and jet setup stuff). Blockers are needed in that case.
Unfortunately I don’t think Bullock is the answer. Outside of his double block against Purdue, he has been a large part of our perimeter blocking getting blown up on the pass plays at the LOS.

Unfortunately I don’t think Bullock is the answer. Outside of his double block against Purdue, he has been a large part of our perimeter blocking getting blown up on the pass plays at the LOS.
Agreed, Bullock is a mediocre blocker and a less than mediocre receiver. In addition to lacking experience, our receivers coach seems to lack any sort of creativity. Get Barney, Rhamir, and Lloyd out there at the same time. Get Nelson or HH out there at the same time as Fidone. Get Coleman ready to play. Stop beating the same dead horse with roster alignments that have proven not to work that well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT