ADVERTISEMENT

When will Riley be let go?

When will Riley be let go?

• Total voters

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
I know we shouldn't assume anything. I think the writing is on the wall for MR.

It is difficult to look at a point in time starting with the OhSU game from last year up until now, and then think that things can be turned around. It is possible, however unlikely, for everything to start clicking.

Mike Riley's fate rests in Mike Riley's hands. I could be wrong, I just don't see us firing Riley after a winning (regular) season.

I still think the D can be okay by Wisconsin, maybe sooner. The Oline coaching and our decision to not recruit RB's are hard to overcome.

Yup! You guys are correct. He won't lose his job if we get to a bowl game, but you can pretty much say that 2018 is his last year coaching here unless we go to the playoffs. No matter what, Cavanaugh is gone next year.

If the season melts down (read: more of the same), he's gone after this year. Heck, the way things are rolling, I'm not sure he'd survive us losing to Rutgers.

As is being said on a few other threads, though, I want the decent assistant coaches who can recruit to stay put. That means Williams, Williams, Parella, and Bray. I would throw in that having Diaco as D coordinator is a good thing, too, and he shouldn't go anywhere.

Everyone else is expendable if a new HC comes in, in my opinion.

I thought 7-5 or 6-6 but that assumed 2-1 nonconference. If we get to 6-6 after this start, it will be a small miracle. I think he can start packing in about two months.

1981 - Osborne's 9th season we started the year 1 and 2. Granted the second loss was to third ranked Penn St in Lincoln and not an unranked MAC Team, but, the defense put it together and gave up a total of 6 points over the next four games.

Depends on when we get an interim AD, and what do those with the deep pockets want? The latter is all that really matters.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
It is only speculation on my part if I were to say Mike will coach the Huskers to 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 wins this season. I like stats and verifiable facts. The Huskers record is 3-6 over the last 9 games. Mike when he was in a similar situation as he is now, coaching the Beavers his last two seasons. Oregon State finished with a 12-13 record including a 2-7 conference record that last season in Corvallis (Tied for 5th place in the North Division, Pac 12)

Other - If he loses to Rutgers the guy is done, but not right after the game. So my vote would be he is fired if there is no upward trend this year

He must show good improvement throughout the season and finish 7-5 or better. I think the recruiting momentum will start to pay off next year. Coach Cav is a huge liability and needs to go. Hiring a quality, young OL coach that can recruit could be the final missing piece he needs to be successful here.

Bounds probably gave HCMR the same speech TO gave Callahan. You make it to the conference game, we are good. If you win out except for a loss to either IA or WI and to tOSU you are probably good. Any more losses than that or a blowout in there, we will see.

I don't see a reason to fire Riley mid-season, even if we lose to Rutgers or Illinois.

I also don't want a situation where Interim Coach Diaco rallies the troops for a few games and people start to consider him for the permanent job. The guy was an absolutely disaster as head coach at UConn.

1981 - Osborne's 9th season we started the year 1 and 2. Granted the second loss was to third ranked Penn St in Lincoln and not an unranked MAC Team, but, the defense put it together and gave up a total of 6 points over the next four games.

The other loss was to an Iowa team that went to the Rose Bowl. The win was against #19 Florida State. The next game was against Auburn, and by the end of the year we were playing for the national championship.

Reactions: SOHusker11

100% true, The part about him not surviving in the internet age is based on speculation, based on the fact that a percentage of this fan base even wanted Devaney and Osborne fired during their career.

Oh and I'd add 1981 was 3 years after he nearly left to Colorado.

I love revisionist history and how some think TO was always loved here.

And he was about six years past from nearly getting fired, and couldn't win the "The Big One" for another 13 years. He'd have never survived in the internet age.
Did he ever have a losing season, and a multi-decade track record of .500 performance? Pretty crazy to say TO would not have survived the internet age, seeing as many on here are still defending Riley's vast record of head coaching performance.

Reactions: huskers360
The other loss was to an Iowa team that went to the Rose Bowl. The win was against #19 Florida State. The next game was against Auburn, and by the end of the year we were playing for the national championship.

Without Turner Gill.

1981 we finished 11th and were 4th going into the bowl. Playing for the national title means if you win the title. Alabama, Texas and Penn St would all have had to lose. Problem is Texas and Alabama were playing each other.

Did he ever have a losing season, and a multi-decade track record of .500 performance? Pretty crazy to say TO would not have survived the internet age, seeing as many on here are still defending Riley's vast record of head coaching performance.

From the same fan base who started a petition to fire Devaney.

His never having a losing season wasn't good enough for 21 years. I remember it well.

The World Hearld pretty much stated after 1990 it was probably time for him to move on.

1981 we finished 11th and were 4th going into the bowl. Playing for the national title means if you win the title. Alabama, Texas and Penn St would all have had to lose. Problem is Texas and Alabama were playing each other.

I remember by the end of the night 2 and 3 had lost. I'd have to look at the bowl pairings again, but I remember the Sugar finishing before the Orange and knowing it was ours for the taking. Maybe just in one poll, but we had it right there.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I remember by the end of the night 2 and 3 had lost. I'd have to look at the bowl pairings again, but I remember the Sugar finishing before the Orange and knowing it was ours for the taking. Maybe just in one poll, but we had it right there.
Yes-it was pretty clear before the game that we were going to win the championship in one poll if we beat Clemson.

Yes-it was pretty clear before the game that we were going to win the championship in one poll if we beat Clemson.

Totally sucked that Gill was out for that game. I think he'd have been enough to get us over the hump against Clemson, considering we lost by a TD. Gill also didn't start the games we lost.

I just checked the final AP regular season poll for 1981. Georgia was #2 and Alabama was #3. Both had already lost. As the #4 team, we would have won the championship had we won. Texas was #6. Penn State was #7. Neither of them was going to move above us.

His never having a losing season wasn't good enough for 21 years. I remember it well.

The World Hearld pretty much stated after 1990 it was probably time for him to move on.
I got that. It's just telling of how much our base has changed when we're trying to give a coach with a .500 record a break, but we tried to run coaches out of town who only lost 1-2 games/season.

Thing is.. nobody...and i mean NOBODY was sitting around talking about us going after osu's head coach when the search was on last time... and all the talk of such and such wouldnt come here cause of this that and the other???? It does no good because nobody knows.. again if someone would have told me a guy who was in his 60s. with the history he had with the beavers was going to up and leave to come here... we all would have said no way.. but it was behind the scenes and it happened..

I got that. It's just telling of how much our base has changed when we're trying to give a coach with a .500 record a break, but we tried to run coaches out of town who only lost 1-2 games/season.

IF Riley is fired, I don't care who we bring in. This program will struggle for a few years, and some of our fan base will want the guy fired in year 1.

I want Riley to succeed only because if he doesn't, the program is just that much further from relevancy. There s no quick fix.

Last edited:
IF Riley is fired, I don't care who we bring in. This program will struggle for a few years, and some of our fan base will want the guy fired in year 1.

I want Riley to succeed only because if he doesn't, the program is just that much further from relevancy. The is no quick fix.
Agreed. Starting from square one essentially.

Fans or the World Herald don't fire the coach the Regents and the AD do. TO was on the hot seat as far as fans were concerned when he couldn't win the big one and thankfully he didn't leave for Colorado. Bob Devaney also had his back while he was AD until 1993 and even in an internet age wouldn't have buckled under any fan criticisms IMO.

Bo was here for 7 years and some of his atrocious loses didn't result in him being fired. TO was AD and that certainly had something to do with it but Bo was fired probably more for the toxic program he created and for his personal issues that were on display every Saturday.

And he was about six years past from nearly getting fired, and couldn't win the "The Big One" for another 13 years. He'd have never survived in the internet age.[/QUOT

I agree coaches got a longer period to establish themselves before the internet age. Whether Tom would survive in the internet age can only be speculation. Tom was more savvy with the press than most of the coaches of today. He had a knack of not really saying anything, yet not pissing anyone off either. Tom "almost" getting fired has been overblown as well. Sure there were some who were unhappy about losing to OU (first 10 years I believe) and the early bowl games. All it took is him talking to CU and the whole state freaked out. There was never any talk of it again.

I do not believe Mike Riley will be the coach next year and I don't believe it matters what he does this year.

To me, the decision has already been made. Firing Shawn was just the first step of the decision to replace the head football coach.

You also have to consider this from the perspectives of the assistant coaches as well as the recruits. The assistant coaches are not likely to linger around when jobs come open in December, and if you're a recruit, you will want to know who is going to be here before signing day.

If they had fired SE for some other reason, then it probably wouldn't matter as much, but they said it directly had to do with the performance of the football program, so we all know what that means.

I think they will hire a new AD by late Oct / early Nov, and then a new HC by the end of the year.

The Athletic Dept will be paying over $210,000 per month till the end of 2018 in salaries for Bo and SE. If MR is let go before 2019 that will add another $189,000 per month to that number... I don't know how that number can be met and paying top dollar for an experienced top notch coach. I think MR will be here another year after this one and he will have a chance to get his players some more experience and hopefully a chance for them to pull their heads out of their arse.

Reactions: Agegoneby
Fans or the World Herald don't fire the coach the Regents and the AD do. TO was on the hot seat as far as fans were concerned when he couldn't win the big one and thankfully he didn't leave for Colorado. Bob Devaney also had his back while he was AD until 1993 and even in an internet age wouldn't have buckled under any fan criticisms IMO.

Bo was here for 7 years and some of his atrocious loses didn't result in him being fired. TO was AD and that certainly had something to do with it but Bo was fired probably more for the toxic program he created and for his personal issues that were on display every Saturday.

Ah yes the Regents. It just happens to have been a Regent who told TO after winning his bowl game in 1976 had he lost he'd have been fired. TO's words not mine.

The Athletic Dept will be paying over $210,000 per month till the end of 2018 in salaries for Bo and SE. If MR is let go before 2019 that will add another $189,000 per month to that number... I don't know how that number can be met and paying top dollar for an experienced top notch coach. I think MR will be here another year after this one and he will have a chance to get his players some more experience and hopefully a chance for them to pull their heads out of their arse.
usually the boosters handle this and we have all this new B1G money too.. the money is not a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT