ADVERTISEMENT

When does Saban retire?

yort2000

Senior
Jan 23, 2007
I'm saying that he should retire now. A lot of coaches grown under him in the SEC. He is losing some recruiting battles against them (especially GA). Is it going to be harder for him from here on out? What say you?

He might retire after his 10th title maybe? Lol. Who knows when he'll hang em up. I'm afraid that school is just gonna keep rolling even without Saban.

He might retire after his 10th title maybe? Lol. Who knows when he'll hang em up. I'm afraid that school is just gonna keep rolling even without Saban.

Yes they will. Bama will pay whatever they have to for the next coach. He’ll win another NC then call it quits is my guess or maybe 2 more. Incredible what they’ve done.

What other schools could do it in this generation besides Bama? OSU, Texas, USC, GEORGIA, OU, FSU......

Reactions: Sinomatic
I'm saying that he should retire now. A lot of coaches grown under him in the SEC. He is losing some recruiting battles against them (especially GA). Is it going to be harder for him from here on out? What say you?

Well tonight their top passer, rusher, and receiver tonight were all TRUE freshmen.. if you hate Saban and Alabama, you might wanna tune the next 3-4 years out because they aren’t going anywhere.

Well tonight their top passer, rusher, and receiver tonight were all TRUE freshmen.. if you hate Saban and Alabama, you might wanna tune the next 3-4 years out because they aren’t going anywhere.

Bama's defense is what took over this game as well as their offensive line kicking in and allowing them to make some plays.

Reactions: davecisar
When he decides to retire they will just go throw huge money at alumni Dabo. They won’t be at the same level but still pretty frickin great..... Saban is a machine.

I give him another 5 to 7 years. Maybe he calls it quits sooner if he gets one more ship.

Not likely unless they replace him with a top shelf coach who can produce there. There aren't many football programs who lose a legendary head coach and just keep on rolling..

Might as well get ready for Dabo to go home when Saban calls it quits

Somewhere I thought I read/heard that through this season they lost the entire LB corp. Then they lost some linemen and replaced the QB and still won. They are at a level of players few teams will ever approach.

My prediction is that he'll retire when all of 'Bama's recruiting infractions come to light, and they are about to vacate a bunch of wins due to ineligible players, and go on NCAA probation for Lack of Institutional Control. Anybody who knows Alabama's history realizes it is inevitable.

Vegas has already listed Bama as the favorite to win it again this year.

The Dynasty Rolls On.

Why retire? He isn't "working" he is doing what he loves...he has it rolling...I am sure he will "coach" less and less each season like most coaches do.

My prediction is that he'll retire when all of 'Bama's recruiting infractions come to light, and they are about to vacate a bunch of wins due to ineligible players, and go on NCAA probation for Lack of Institutional Control. Anybody who knows Alabama's history realizes it is inevitable.

I think he would retire or move to the NFL just before this stuff comes out. After being tipped off by the NCAA that it was coming.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Bama had to pay players back in the day in order to resurrect their program and to compete with the other schools in the SEC (most) who are also paying for players. Of course Bear did it all the time- it was part of his DNA at Maryland, Kentucky, A&M and then Bama. Bear would do anything inside or outside the rules to gain an advantage.

But now Bama sits on the throne and most of the best kids are just waiting for the call- yes Bama does recruit aggressively and well- but it's more like selecting these days for them. Their paying parents/influencer days are fairly limited these days.

Yes- Bama has been a long time cheater and many of those in the Bear Bryant coaching tree went on to be cheaters too (learning from the master)- although these coaches seemed to get caught and punished more often. There may very well be a blue blood bias to protect "franchise" schools. Bama has the cheating thing down to a science and may be deeply ingrained into their culture, but I'm not sure they have to use it much now based on where they are at:

Last edited:
Bama's defense is what took over this game as well as their offensive line kicking in and allowing them to make some plays.
The two things that have always been elite while Saban is coach? Didn’t think those had to be mentioned but yeah, their defense and O-Line will continue to be good as well.

Saban has at the very least, 5 Years left and I’d be shocked if it isn’t another 7.

When he decides to retire they will just go throw huge money at alumni Dabo. They won’t be at the same level but still pretty frickin great..... Saban is a machine.

That appears to be the plan...momma gonna call Dabo home

I think Saban goes 3-4 more years - unless there is an actual sanction against bama - he could retire or take an NFL job for one last attempt at success there. Most likely - he beats Bear's record and ensures no one ever beats it.

It finally hit me who Nick Saban reminds me of. Nick Saban is basically Bill Murray's charcter Big Ern McCraken in Kingpin. There is nothing good in the man and actually could make a bid for worst person on the planet. Nick makes most narcissists look charitable.

It finally hit me who Nick Saban reminds me of. Nick Saban is basically Bill Murray's charcter Big Ern McCraken in Kingpin. There is nothing good in the man and actually could make a bid for worst person on the planet. Nick makes most narcissists look charitable.
Easy now with that. Has Saban volunteered his time to support the Unified Fund for fatherless children?

Not sure why Saban would quit when he’s on top and doing something he loves. Every year Alabama is in the running for a NC just like we were in the 80’s and 90’s. I wish we were in their position. I’m jealous but I don’t hate Saban or Alabama. More power to him (them)!

I don't think his wife would let him take the Giants job.

I don't blame her.

Why would Saban ever leave? He's getting boatloads of cash, and the program is practically running itself these days. Unless his health is an issue, he might as well stay there forever and gather together another five or six one-loss conference-less national championships. Especially when they get a free pass by the selection committee every year.

Then again, why'd Tom Osborne quit in the middle of a similar run? Oh yeah, he didn't want to be mean to his "coach in waiting" buddy hire.

Reactions: CatColumbia
when the ncaa stops looking the other way
disclaimer: I like saben, it just upsets me his teams 4th string look like machines, and our first string look like tying our shoes is a hurdle.
so I guess the above post is envy, unless rumors of over signing and rich players uncles in the sec are true.:confused:

Bear Bryant

Accomplishments and honors
Championships

6 National (1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979)
14 SEC (1950, 1961, 1964–1966, 1971–1975, 1977–1979, 1981)
1 SWC (1956)

Reactions: Arbitr8
Bear Bryant

Accomplishments and honors
Championships

6 National (1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979)
14 SEC (1950, 1961, 1964–1966, 1971–1975, 1977–1979, 1981)
1 SWC (1956)

Yes, but he is 66 and I think the easiest of it is behind him. Smart at Georgia and Pruitt at Tennessee are already winning recruiting battles against him and they are both on the same page ideologically, that fundamentals and conditioning (of talented players) trump scheme. I'll grant that Alabama's division in the SEC is pretty weak, but the addition of Jimbo at A&M may amp things up a bit. The SEC cakewalk that Alabama has benefited from may be coming to an end.

And, for those of you who think that the SEC is some bastion of great football, I think Alabama may be the only school in the SEC that hasn't had a new head coach in the past 5 years, and quite a few have had two in that time frame.

I think he takes Giants job

No way Saban takes another job. His legacy is cemented. He either stays at Bama or retires. Anything he would do after Alabama would never live up to the standard and would tarnish his legacy of being the GOAT. His Ego would not allow it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT