ADVERTISEMENT

When did you become a Husker Fan?

The doctor lifted me after up after being born in Broken Bow, NE and slapped my newborn butt and said…. GO BIG RED
So… around then

Ha, seriously though, I started following in 1983 but really got hooked in high school in the late 80s. I loved the Huskers but also wanted to be badass like the Boz.

I remember sitting at home listening to the games for the 93 season, and watching the Florida state game for the nattie. After that season I was dialed in from that point forward. Would. Have to say right around there

I remember knowing of Eric Crouch, also a bit of the Rose Bowl against Miami. I remember the liberty bowl against Eli Manning Ole Miss. First real season I remember is 2003. When I became a fan? I would say 2001.

I did in 1965. We just moved to Scribner and watched the Huskers play Alabama in a bowl game. We lost like 37-28. I was just sickened but caught the Nebraska fever. Now I've moved to the Lone Star State and wear Nebraska gear all the time. I can't tell you how many people stop and say; "Go Big Red" to me. Nebraska fans are everywhere. I even met one in Santorini, Greece.
After The Huskers beat LSU in the 1971 Orange. I was ready to be a full-fledged fan for the 1971 season. Jacobson, Tagge, Kinney, Rodgers, Harper, Dumler, Glover, Those guys!

The 1963 Zero U. game was actually the very next day after Kennedy's murder, which was Friday, Nov. 22. That's what made the decision to play even more extraordinary.

I was 20 months old at the time. It was so shocking that when I heard the news of JFK's murder, I shat my diapers.

Or so I've been told.
Remember that was too long
ago, not sure about every detail. Thanks for correcting me.

Reactions: 9and4
1983. Remember all the games. Went to my first game vs Syracuse. Gill is still my favorite Husker qb.

Birth. Family is all from Nebraska. First Husker/football memory is the fumblerooski.

I did in 1965. We just moved to Scribner and watched the Huskers play Alabama in a bowl game. We lost like 37-28. I was just sickened but caught the Nebraska fever. Now I've moved to the Lone Star State and wear Nebraska gear all the time. I can't tell you how many people stop and say; "Go Big Red" to me. Nebraska fans are everywhere. I even met one in Santorini, Greece.
In the fall of 1965 I was 9, almost 10, living in Omaha, and I had discovered football. I loved to throw a ball around in the back yard with other kids in the neighborhood, and one Sunday my father said I might like to watch a game with him (on our little black & white TV). He told me that the star of the game was from Omaha, and sure enough, Gale Sayers ran wild that day.

Very few college games were televised at the time, but the Huskers Orange Bowl battle with Alabama on New Years Day, 1966, was one of them. I again watched on our little TV with my father. Every time the announcers uttered the word "Nebraska," I felt like they were talking to me. After all, that's where I live! Bob Churchich became my hero that day and I was hooked for life. A blessing and a curse.

I went 1100 miles away for college in the 1970s and often put up with supposedly sophisticated coast-types who would ask in all seriousness if I had chickens in my front yard and had to ward off Indian attacks. One cold day, another student asked me what I did in Nebraska during such weather. When I told him that I go over to the wall and turn up the thermostat, he was stunned that we had such new-fangled stuff out in the hinterlands. During those year, I could point to the football team as representative of the state. Many players were from in-state and we won a lot. The university team was a symbol of the state as a whole, with the toughness and hard work hard work that resulted in victories so often. I sure do miss the days when that was Nebraska.

Sorry to babble on.

In the fall of 1965 I was 9, almost 10, living in Omaha, and I had discovered football. I loved to throw a ball around in the back yard with other kids in the neighborhood, and one Sunday my father said I might like to watch a game with him (on our little black & white TV). He told me that the star of the game was from Omaha, and sure enough, Gale Sayers ran wild that day.

Very few college games were televised at the time, but the Huskers Orange Bowl battle with Alabama on New Years Day, 1966, was one of them. I again watched on our little TV with my father. Every time the announcers uttered the word "Nebraska," I felt like they were talking to me. After all, that's where I live! Bob Churchich became my hero that day and I was hooked for life. A blessing and a curse.

I went 1100 miles away for college in the 1970s and often put up with supposedly sophisticated coast-types who would ask in all seriousness if I had chickens in my front yard and had to ward off Indian attacks. One cold day, another student asked me what I did in Nebraska during such weather. When I told him that I go over to the wall and turn up the thermostat, he was stunned that we had such new-fangled stuff out in the hinterlands. During those year, I could point to the football team as representative of the state. Many players were from in-state and we won a lot. The university team was a symbol of the state as a whole, with the toughness and hard work hard work that resulted in victories so often. I sure do miss the days when that was Nebraska.

Sorry to babble on.
Please, do not be sorry for your boon for all of us!!! Please, babble away afaiac!!! I really love your prose; you caught me early and kept me!

Please!! More stories!!! 😊

Sorry to babble on.
I liked your story. When I lived in McCook in the 70's, we had a family move in from New Jersey. The kids hid down in the seat on the drive out because they thought Indians with bow and arrows were going to get them!!!
Of course when Lincoln East came to play us in 1972, they marginalized us as they came in town and joked, "look at the plow!!!"

Reactions: gomerxx
When I moved into a house at the age of 2 with a “Go Big Red” toilet seat in the basement bathroom. Not much choice after that

As other has said, at birth. I remember fall days raking leaves with my dad while listening to Lyle Bremser on KFAB. Riding with my big sisters around Crossroads singing "We're so sorry Bear Bryant" when we won the national championship. Being a student, watching when Dr. Tom FINALLY beat OK.

Fun times!

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
As other has said, at birth. I remember fall days raking leaves with my dad while listening to Lyle Bremser on KFAB. Riding with my big sisters around Crossroads singing "We're so sorry Bear Bryant" when we won the national championship. Being a student, watching when Dr. Tom FINALLY beat OK.

Fun times!
I used to play tackle football in the neighborhood and pretended to be Jeff Kinney or Frosty Anderson. Got tackled in to a cement step one time. Blood everywhere

Reactions: BigRedBeliever
Growing up in Lincoln, it was as much a part of life as Valentino's Pizza or the buffalo statue at Pioneers Park. In the early 70's, my dad got box seats through the VA hospital, and I didn't know there was anything but the Cornhuskers. The '83 team was really the first that I knew all of the players' names. Remember a whole huge house party full of people crying at the end of the '84 Orange Bowl. What a gut punch that game was from beginning to end.

That's when he put Osborne in charge of the offense. It took most of 1969 to get that right, but they put 89 points on the board against Zero U. and Georgia, and then spent the next two years just winning (plus that tie at USC).
And weight training I think

Reactions: 9and4
Probably 69 for me. 5 years old but loved football. Got a packers helmet from grandma for Christmas. Remember playing football all fall and winter. Then came the national championship and the great OU rivalry......

Reactions: scarletred

Sorry to babble on.
Born into very similar circumstances in 1967, cannot recall ever not being addicted to this team. After losing to FSU in 94 OB I promised myself I’d never miss another Nebraska NC game, and haven’t, but boy at that time I thought I’d have attended a few more than 4 since then.

I was born in 75 but my first actual memory is watching the 84 Orange Bowl for the National Title.. When the ball fell to the turf on the 2pt conversion I remember throwing my shirt at the TV and dropping the f bomb in front of my dad who was very against cursing. It was no turning back at that point. My forever allegiance was to the Huskers. GBR

10/28/00 when I was 8 years old

Grew up in Alaska, Dad was a Husker fan since he was young. One of his good friends was an Oklahoma fan, and we had him over at the house for the game.

Dude was absolutely insufferable. Decided he was such a cünt that I’d become the biggest Husker fan in Alaska just out of spite. He came over again the following year for Black 41 Flash Reverse Pass and it was glorious.

I didn’t know much about football at the time, besides that I really liked watching Eric Crouch play, and some guy named Jeremy Slechta (he was on the cover of some magazine being touted as the next great blackshirt). I do vividly remember the gut punch of the Colorado game, and something felt off, like a giant had been toppled. I think that was the beginning of my pessimism, which was exacerbated when we snuck into the natty that year. Still feel like Miami took it easy on us.

As fate would have it, ended up moving to Oklahoma in my teenage years. Played HS football at the same school as Phillip Dillard & Jason Lohr (the latter of which I’ve become decently acquainted with).

There’s a decent base of fellow Huskers here, and I have to say they’re much more tolerable than Texas fans.

Well back in 1967 when I was born through the 90's it was always said that baby boys were given a football instead of a rattle when they were born. I have been a fan since 1967 when I was born and given my football and I continue through thick and thin.

Reactions: BigRedBeliever
It was the fall of my 10th birthday...never heard of football much, but I fell in love quickly.....the first time I cried...when Monte Deere and OU broke our heart in 1962....BUT we rebounded to win the soon to be defunct Gotham Bowl over Miami and George Mira....

Have seen some memorable games...both hoops and football....been a wonderful ride...:)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT