ADVERTISEMENT

When did you become a Husker Fan?

BigRedBeliever

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 24, 2004
Dallas, Texas
I did in 1965. We just moved to Scribner and watched the Huskers play Alabama in a bowl game. We lost like 37-28. I was just sickened but caught the Nebraska fever. Now I've moved to the Lone Star State and wear Nebraska gear all the time. I can't tell you how many people stop and say; "Go Big Red" to me. Nebraska fans are everywhere. I even met one in Santorini, Greece.

In the 70’s, I was about 7 or 8 and stumbled on a box of cassette tapes in my grandparents basement. For some reason my grandfather recorded the radio broadcasts of the Husker games. It was hearing Lyell Bremser’s call of the games that made me fall in love with the Huskers.

I was born in January 1962, about the same time Bob Devaney was hired. You're welcome.

As for being a fan, my first memory was the 1968 Thanksgiving game at Oklahoma, a 47-0 loss. I remember my father and uncles sitting around the farm outside Verdon, agreeing that the game had passed by Bob Devaney. I didn't really start paying attention, however, until the 1969 Sun Bowl, a 45-6 victory.

The first full season I followed Nebraska was 1970, and that culminated in a national title. The next season, another national title.

I have been incredibly spoiled. A lot of red and white privilege.

Born a fan, but the thing that really did it for me was 1987 OU/NU. I was almost 10. I think this was the first game I can remember actually sitting to watch with my dad and I remember the heartbreak and anger watching it unfold. From that day on, I cared more and paid more attention.

Reactions: king_kong_
I did in 1965. We just moved to Scribner and watched the Huskers play Alabama in a bowl game. We lost like 37-28. I was just sickened but caught the Nebraska fever. Now I've moved to the Lone Star State and wear Nebraska gear all the time. I can't tell you how many people stop and say; "Go Big Red" to me. Nebraska fans are everywhere. I even met one in Santorini, Greece.
At birth. Maybe watching Stu Lantz and LeRoy Chalk in the old Coliseum

I remember drawing a picture of Roger Craig in the 3rd grade and after I colored it in one of my classmates made fun of me because I colored him as a white guy. Hell, I didn't know, we listened to the games on the radio. So I'll say '81 is about when I started caring.

The day Nebraska beat Oklahoma two days after the JFK assassination to win Nebraska‘s first conference championship since the 1940 season..

Parents built a new house my father had antenna on top of the roof so he could get KLIN in Lincoln who was caring the game since all the major channels back then were all on the JFK funeral procession.. He had a bunch of buddies came over to watch it..

Nebraska went on to play Auburn in the Orange bowl on New Year’s Day, which was the last time the Orange was played during the day..

Around 1980. One of my early childhood memories was Jarvis Redwine running down the sideline for a touchdown against Oklahoma and everyone throwing oranges on the field.

We were all watching in the den and my dad and sister were cheering but my mom was angry they were throwing oranges because someone could get hurt. :D

It's hard to say really...maybe it was he eturnal decree in a superlapserian way, outside of time, absolutly predestining me to be a NU fan before the foundations of the earth.
and in a providencial infralapserian way, inside of time.
first hearing lyle, then hearing lyle every fall sat then on.
1971 thanksgiving game,
getting rodgers autograph ring side at golden gloves, looking like sugar bear, with a cast, gold and fur, and womens.
having tony davis join my 5th grade class, looking like a stronger doug henning, with a cast, cane and 70's clothes.
seeing NU football play bball at northwest vs northwest..I think wonder monds was there.
having rod horn sit right in front of me in my 7th grade class wondering if they used a tree stump for his neck..
and Im hipp was siting to my right.
I would wresle andy keeler, have shop class with dave hoppen,
but I think when I told lee jones we would beat 0u in 78....thats was the defining point.
thats when it all became clear.
GBR!

Probably like 2006. But I don't really follow the team that close anymore.

I was born in January 1962, about the same time Bob Devaney was hired. You're welcome.

As for being a fan, my first memory was the 1968 Thanksgiving game at Oklahoma, a 47-0 loss. I remember my father and uncles sitting around the farm outside Verdon, agreeing that the game had passed by Bob Devaney. I didn't really start paying attention, however, until the 1969 Sun Bowl, a 45-6 victory.

The first full season I followed Nebraska was 1970, and that culminated in a national title. The next season, another national title.

I have been incredibly spoiled. A lot of red and white privilege.
Same with me only born in September 62, I know dad and my grandpa weren’t happy with Devaney but 1969 changed things for the better

Reactions: huskerfan66
The day Nebraska beat Oklahoma two days after the JFK assassination to win Nebraska‘s first conference championship since the 1940 season..

Parents built a new house my father had antenna on top of the roof so he could get KLIN in Lincoln who was caring the game since all the major channels back then were all on the JFK funeral procession.. He had a bunch of buddies came over to watch it..

Nebraska went on to play Auburn in the Orange bowl on New Year’s Day, which was the last time the Orange was played during the day..
The 1963 Zero U. game was actually the very next day after Kennedy's murder, which was Friday, Nov. 22. That's what made the decision to play even more extraordinary.

I was 20 months old at the time. It was so shocking that when I heard the news of JFK's murder, I shat my diapers.

Or so I've been told.

Reactions: scarletred
Same with me only born in September 62, I know dad and my grandpa weren’t happy with Devaney but 1969 changed things for the better
That's when he put Osborne in charge of the offense. It took most of 1969 to get that right, but they put 89 points on the board against Zero U. and Georgia, and then spent the next two years just winning (plus that tie at USC).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT