ADVERTISEMENT

What's up with Michigan recruiting?

Toms Wife

Sophomore
Jan 7, 2017
For the last two years there was a ton of rah, rah behind Harbaugh. This year it seems as though they have fallen flat. They only have ten guys and are behind us in points. Is Harbaugh losing his mojo? Is his act wearing thin on recruits? Is he getting bored already?

I think Michigan will be fine. They'll have enough in the pipe to play with OSU, if Harbaugh is up to it.

I think they will jump up before it is said and done. They are in on some pretty good players.

I think Michigan will be fine. They'll have enough in the pipe to play with OSU, if Harbaugh is up to it.
I know everyone in the media on down to the fan bases have conceded the BIG10 to Meyer and Harbaugh however I think the next few years will be interesting

* Meyer has never stayed at one place long enough to show staying power - dont get me wrong he is a great coach and recruits at the top of CFB - but his team last year seemed a little flat to me and getting beat down like they did by Clemson is not a confidence builder - Can Meyer continue the high level he has set or is there a fall back for a few years??

* Harbaugh - another great coach to be sure but he is so up tight I think he may blow a gasket - plus he has also not shown he can stay put for awhile

I think the Big10 is going to be more competitive east vs West then many people realize in the coming years. I just hope we are in the thick of it

I know everyone in the media on down to the fan bases have conceded the BIG10 to Meyer and Harbaugh however I think the next few years will be interesting

* Meyer has never stayed at one place long enough to show staying power - dont get me wrong he is a great coach and recruits at the top of CFB - but his team last year seemed a little flat to me and getting beat down like they did by Clemson is not a confidence builder - Can Meyer continue the high level he has set or is there a fall back for a few years??

* Harbaugh - another great coach to be sure but he is so up tight I think he may blow a gasket - plus he has also not shown he can stay put for awhile

I think the Big10 is going to be more competitive east vs West then many people realize in the coming years. I just hope we are in the thick of it

Nice post. I'm with you on Meyer. But I still think they will win the East this year. I'm not buying into the Penn State hype—offensively they are all there but lost a bunch of defenders—and I'm not buying into the Michigan hype this year. Harbaugh just lost 43 seniors. FORTY-THREE! Hold me to it, they aren't going to win at Wisconsin this year.

I think we can all do the math for what Nebraska has to do to win the West.

For the last two years there was a ton of rah, rah behind Harbaugh. This year it seems as though they have fallen flat. They only have ten guys and are behind us in points. Is Harbaugh losing his mojo? Is his act wearing thin on recruits? Is he getting bored already?

tumblr_inline_mvpb10fgzF1qh4o96.gif.cf.gif

Michigan will be fine. Michigan's football culture recruits first rate football players. Harbaugh is just icing on the cake. Heck, Brady Hoke had first rate players and I don't think he had exactly a magnetic personality. Michigan is Michigan. Strong.
and, Go Cats !!

Recent Michigan classes have been relatively large, 29 in 2016 and 30 in 2017.

This class though smaller (points) is still of good quality (3.6 average star rating per Rivals).

I think Michigan is doing just fine.

Go Blue!

If you want a real answer...

First, so it doesn't seem like Im trying sugar coat things. The one area where things are a little down, from the past couple years, is interest from the tip top kids as in the 5*s and bordline 5*s. We are still getting plenty of mention but more in the second group looking up instead of being one of the teams being chased. In addition, amongst Michigan fans there is some worry about our OL recruiting (more on this below).

With that said:

1) as mentioned above, this will be a small class. The last couple classes were massive which allowed us to load up early AND keep spaces open to land kids late. This staff has done its best work (in recruiting) in the last month of the cycle. Our staff has been focussed on fewer prospects this year with many deciding late (more on this below).

2) this is the worst year for instate talent I can remember - both from a top end talent and depth perspective. Heck, Michigan didn't even go after the two top rated, by rivals, instate players. Ohio is a bit down also thus the low hanging fruit that you fill up on early just isn't there.

3) I know everyone says there players are underrated but we have 2 verbals that are 4*s on EVERY OTHER site, ranked as the #96 and #107 players nationally by 247,and not even high 3*s here (5.6 REs). They finally upgraded a third kid who was already 4*s everywhere else and as high us the #104 player nationally (247)...but rivals only made him an unranked 4*. In addition, we had a 3* who was invited to and participated in The Opening. So those are some pretty big discrepancies between what rivals and everyone else thinks.

4) speaking of which, the two guys who are rated 3*s here and are top 100 and right outside the top 100 elsewhere are both OL. We brought in a new (well brought back from a past regime) OL coach who has a different philosophy on recruiting. He is going after tall, long armed, super athletic types...that...will need to spend quite some time eating and lifting to get up to weight. Prior we were going after the types that had to cut weight which I guess rivals likes better (note: the last time we had a 1st round pick at OL was a kid he recruited and developed...using the same philosophy).

5) This year the staff has been trying to cash in on the areas where they have been holding satellite camps the last few years. Of our 3 highest rated, according to rivals, commits 2 are from Georgia and 1 is from FLA. Its a nice start but as I'm sure most of you know that when you are talking about kids that our a 1000+ miles away, who have all the big local offers but are open to leaving (and don't have something like a parent who went to your school, relatives in the area, etc.)...more often than not you are talking about battles that will be decided in the last couple months of the cycle. This staff is betting on that they win enough of these battles to put together a stellar class. So I guess we'll have to wait until then to see if Harbaugh and crew still have that mojo.

This class though smaller (points) is still of good quality (3.6 average star rating per Rivals).

Go Blue!

Big classes...what a joke! Harbaugh must have no idea how to build a roster when taking over for a sh!tshow coach.

Reactions: SOHusker11

Now that is funny Meyer having a fall back...check out the 2017 and 2018 classes for crying out loud. Instead of wishing for everyone to fall back to you maybe step up your game.

Now that is funny Meyer having a fall back...check out the 2017 and 2018 classes for crying out loud. Instead of wishing for everyone to fall back to you maybe step up your game.

Step up our game? All he said was we hope Nebraska is in the thick of it. That's all we can hope at this point. It's no question that Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State are ahead of us. All he is saying is because Meyer fell back at Florida, he could do the same at OSU.

Meyer is good at selling recruits that they can come to OSU and compete for national titles while also only having to be in Columbus for 2-3 years tops. Obviously, that's a lot of top teams' blueprints right now. However, your team was pretty young and still lost several key players to the draft: Lattimore, Hooker, Samuel, Conley, McMillan, Elfein and Brown. Your season is, again, going to rest upon the shoulders of JT Barrett and the supposed funky defensive linemen you guys have this season. Yes you are recruiting magnificently, but if the 2017 and 2018 classes follow suit of this last year's draft class and the top players forego their remaining 2-3 (or so) college seasons, they are going to continue to be inexperienced in big stages and get beat by teams like Clemson, Alabama, Florida State and now Washington and USC in future CFPlayoffs.

Reactions: baseball31ne

Go Blue!

Actually, I think I'll call you Val.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Big classes...what a joke! Harbaugh must have no idea how to build a roster when taking over for a sh!tshow coach.
LOL.

In this thread, Harbaugh is getting bashed for using up his scholarships and filling the roster.

In another thread Riley is getting bashed for NOT using up the scholarships and filling up the roster.

LOL I say.

Step up our game? All he said was we hope Nebraska is in the thick of it. That's all we can hope at this point. It's no question that Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State are ahead of us. All he is saying is because Meyer fell back at Florida, he could do the same at OSU.

Meyer is good at selling recruits that they can come to OSU and compete for national titles while also only having to be in Columbus for 2-3 years tops. Obviously, that's a lot of top teams' blueprints right now. However, your team was pretty young and still lost several key players to the draft: Lattimore, Hooker, Samuel, Conley, McMillan, Elfein and Brown. Your season is, again, going to rest upon the shoulders of JT Barrett and the supposed funky defensive linemen you guys have this season. Yes you are recruiting magnificently, but if the 2017 and 2018 classes follow suit of this last year's draft class and the top players forego their remaining 2-3 (or so) college seasons, they are going to continue to be inexperienced in big stages and get beat by teams like Clemson, Alabama, Florida State and now Washington and USC in future CFPlayoffs.

Would love to have that problem. How awful!!
The other schools lose players to the NFL, but not like OSU.

Seeing we ended up top 45 in last years class, I can't relate to the above. One can dream tho

The (way early) 2019 Rivals 100 just came out. In the last week or so Michigan got verbals from 3 players on it including the #3 player overall. The pickups are two kids from SEC country and one from Ohio so it isn't like they are instate kids who were ours to lose from the get go. This past week Michigan also landed a 4 star 2018 out of Indianapolis. So at least this past week it seems his mojo is fine.

The (way early) 2019 Rivals 100 just came out. In the last week or so Michigan got verbals from 3 players on it including the #3 player overall. The pickups are two kids from SEC country and one from Ohio so it isn't like they are instate kids who were ours to lose from the get go. This past week Michigan also landed a 4 star 2018 out of Indianapolis. So at least this past week it seems his mojo is fine.

oh_my_god__who_the_hell_cares__by_nzabob-d46gjne.gif

Michigan is now #23. From fans who are used to this type of recruiting ranking, please know it is not good.

Yes...if Michigan
Michigan is now #23. From fans who are used to this type of recruiting ranking, please know it is not good.
correct, if we end up at 23 that will be a disappointment. But right now Bama is one spot behind you at 29...call me crazy but I have a feeling they pass us both when all is said and done...I'm guessing Michigan ends up at around 10-15...not a great year but with a smaller class acceptable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT