ADVERTISEMENT

What qualifies someone as an up and coming coach?

MU4NU

Walk On
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2004
Creighton,Ne.-Omaha,Ne
I need help getting this through my head. Is it because they have scored over 30 pts. a game this year? ex. Or paying their dues thru top programs? I still didn't believe Pelini qualified for a top tier head coaching job. Had good athletes at good programs.

Problem in my opinion with Pelini, outside of his rough personality, is that he hadn’t been a head coach before.

An up and comer to me is someone early in their career who has seen and been part of successful programs wherever he’s been. That is certainly no guarantee, as there are none, but that’s how I’d qualify it.

I need help getting this through my head. Is it because they have scored over 30 pts. a game this year? ex. Or paying their dues thru top programs? I still didn't believe Pelini qualified for a top tier head coaching job. Had good athletes at good programs.

Urban Meyer clone pre-Power 5.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Stoops had no prior Head Coaching experience till he was hired at Oklahoma.

To me wins at multiple stops. Time at one place that goes 5 years or longer. I want to see that they can build and recruit, not just win with others recruits. Sustaining and progressing each year.

Tim Miles career actually is my blue print. The bottom line is sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain

What qualifies?

A history of being transformational and able to win in short order wherever you've been even under difficult circumstances. James Franklin and Joe Moorhead immediately come to mind.

If I had to pick the most qualified up and coming coach at this time it would be the second year coach at Iowa State. I'm sure not a clone fan but if I were looking for a great hire I would open the wallet and go for it.

Problem in my opinion with Pelini, outside of his rough personality, is that he hadn’t been a head coach before.

An up and comer to me is someone early in their career who has seen and been part of successful programs wherever he’s been. That is certainly no guarantee, as there are none, but that’s how I’d qualify it.
I don't see that as a problem. There are plenty of coordinators that went on to be successful head coaches, Osborne is one of them. Head coaching experience wasn't Pelini's problem. He was a much better coach here his first 3 years, then his last 4, and no it wasn't just due to talent.

An up and coming coach is generally a younger coach that has success at a lower level program, or maybe even a coordinator who has a lot of success. I think Frost is past the label of up and coming because an undefeated season is impressive for any coach.

Stoops had no prior Head Coaching experience till he was hired at Oklahoma.

How brilliant was that hire? Stoops had a good reputation as a defensive coordinator, but the AD must be a descendant of the Oracle at Delphi to have gotten that call so right. Second year in, BOOM, wins a natty, and then continues the success for almost 20 years. Then hands off to another young coach who keeps it going like nothing even happened? Almost exactly the opposite of what Nebraska has done.

How brilliant was that hire? Stoops had a good reputation as a defensive coordinator, but the AD must be a descendant of the Oracle at Delphi to have gotten that call so right. Second year in, BOOM, wins a natty, and then continues the success for almost 20 years. Then hands off to another young coach who keeps it going like nothing even happened? Almost exactly the opposite of what Nebraska has done.
I think it's also luck of the draw. Lot of "up and coming" coaches fail. Some however don't and go on to have a good career.

Nebraska really didn't go after "up and coming" coaches though.
Solich? He was a position coach, not even a coordinator before being placed in charge of the #1 program in the country at the time.
Callahan? Failed NFL coach who's entire team very publicly turned against him.
Pelini? I'd say he was. It didn't workout but you can't fault Nebraska for trying, though I will say they hung onto him too long (and some fans still do to this day).
Riley? Massive failure of a hire from the onset on that one. Nothing about his career said "up and coming", we had 3 decades of evidence showing that one wasn't going to work, coupled with a bozo AD, equals disaster.

I don't see that as a problem. There are plenty of coordinators that went on to be successful head coaches, Osborne is one of them. Head coaching experience wasn't Pelini's problem. He was a much better coach here his first 3 years, then his last 4, and no it wasn't just due to talent.

It was Carl

Yo answer the OPs question, someone who has multiple big time programs on their short list.

Nobody has a magic formula. But sometimes it's obvious . Franklin made Vandy competitive in the SEC in two years. MC at ISU the same. Both those schools were bottom feeders . Frost has the it factor, frickin Stevie Wonder can see it. I wanted Urban here when he was at Utah. I wanted Frankin before we got a grip and cut Bo loose. I liked Frost and would have been ok with his hire over MR. I'm now all aboard with SF. I'm going to stay with my instincts and say he will be the man.

What qualifies someone as an up and coming coach? Hindsight. Every season there are “potential” up and coming coaches, most of them fading away once their magical seasons have passed and can’t be replicated, or the coach gets the job or promotion in which they can’t produce the same kind of success. In other words, they weren’t really an up and coming coach.

The few coaches who end up being successful, are the ones who everyone looking in hindsight says, “We need to find another up and coming can’t miss coach like (fill in the blank)”

I would think an up and coming coach would be one who has

strong background with successful coaches
Team shows discipline, demands perfection
Low turnovers
Team is tough and wants to dominate competition
Game management
Commands the room both team and public
Not afraid to be great
Recruiting, a relentless pursuit of prospects
Built reputation with HS coaches
Solid leader of men
Creative
Runs practice like a football coach not a drill team
Passion and creates an identity
Able to attract a solid staff and ability to identify those that have his mindset
Can communicate, both listen and able to voice needs/concerns with players and admin

Just my thoughts on what I would look for from an up and comer

There are no guarantees but if you have a foundation of who you are and where you to be with proven success, good start

If Moos has not watched film of UCF games under Frost he is not smart. I believe he would be impressed what he sees. Would be good to view yr 1 vs yr 2

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT