ADVERTISEMENT

What is with all the fair catches on kickoffs?

GammaxuvirHusker

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 8, 2014
I can somewhat understand it if you're near the goal line, but at the 15!? Someone should tell the coaching staff that points scored on kick and punt returns count just as much as points scored by the offense. It's the 3rd phase of the game and it's like we don't even try. Very frustrating.

They’re gun-shy. Had problems with returns at the beginning of the year, so their solution was to start calling for a fair catch anytime a defender gets within a 50 yard radius.

They don’t value the return. Our blocking schemes on returns are crap. So they hope we can fair catch it and get it at the 25. Can’t even do that right. Wisconsin values the kick return and got a TD and better then the 25 yard line field position when we didn’t kick it out for the end zone. There is a reason we out yardage the opposition almost Every week. Because we lose in return yards. Add their Kickoff and interception return yards to their offense and that’s why we lose

I can somewhat understand it if you're near the goal line, but at the 15!? Someone should tell the coaching staff that points scored on kick and punt returns count just as much as points scored by the offense. It's the 3rd phase of the game and it's like we don't even try. Very frustrating.
It is an analytics deal. With all of the holding and block in the backs the odds favor taking it at the 25 versus getting buried inside the 20. Of course the analytics don't think your kick returner is going to muff the catch and get buried inside the 10. I would run it back every time you caught it outside the end zone.

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
If you want to see something hilarious go to YouTube and look up the NFL films video they did on the 1991 Atlanta Falcons. They actually practiced to lateral the ball to Deion Sanders at every opportunity and if you watch the thing all the way through you will laugh at the ending. Something that if we tried would 100% end in pain.

Do you have to actually catch a ball where you signal fair catch on a kick off I was a little confused about that fumbled kick off fair catch thinking why didn’t he just let it go maybe if it’s not in the end zone you do actually have to catch it

They don’t value the return. Our blocking schemes on returns are crap. So they hope we can fair catch it and get it at the 25. Can’t even do that right. Wisconsin values the kick return and got a TD and better then the 25 yard line field position when we didn’t kick it out for the end zone. There is a reason we out yardage the opposition almost Every week. Because we lose in return yards. Add their Kickoff and interception return yards to their offense and that’s why we lose

Wisconsin and Iowa both had a return for a TD yesterday ... oh and looky here, they are both at the top of the standings in our division.

It's Frost pussy ball in action. Don't try to win the game, just try not to lose too badly. Regardless of what the analytics say, very few other teams do this, and it's because it sends a message to your team that you don't trust them. That's No Fear of Failure for you.

It’s about analytics. The odds are that you’re not going to reach the 25. And by chance you do, it’s about a 50% chance they call a hold or block in the back. I’m convinced the NCAA told all officials to call penalties on kickoffs in an effort to stop teams from returning the kick because of injuries. It’s also why they implemented the fair catch rule and moved the KO to the 40.

Reactions: leodisflowers
it's the same as no blocked punts anymore...

a lot of kids these days grapple with chewing gum and walking at the same time

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
Did you see what happened when we did return one? It wasn't pretty.

And they both are lame ass teams.

fails_03.gif

Reactions: SuperBigFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT