ADVERTISEMENT

What do you do at CB now?

Tuco Salamanca

Athletic Director
Aug 18, 2016
Albuquerque
with the injury and loss of Chris Jones until October or November how would you adjust the secondary?

If it's my decision, I move Lee from boundary CB to field CB and keep Kalu at safety.

In nickel, I move Kalu to nickel and bring K Williams into Kalu's safety spot.

I would move Kalu back out to the boundary to get that outside experience out there again. So, you'd have Jackson and Kalu on the outside. While I like Kalu at safety, we have a decent bullpin at that spot, while we're gonna need help at CB now.

Depending on how the matchups work out, I do agree moving him to Nickle on those packages though.

So you are going to have Jackson as the field CB? I haven't heard that from anyone else.
The opinions I have seen, that involve moving Kalu to back to corner, have him replacing Jones on the field side. Interesting.

I would move Kalu back out to the boundary to get that outside experience out there again. So, you'd have Jackson and Kalu on the outside. While I like Kalu at safety, we have a decent bullpin at that spot, while we're gonna need help at CB now.

Depending on how the matchups work out, I do agree moving him to Nickle on those packages though.

Do you honestly know why teams differentiate between boundary and field corners?

Do you honestly know why teams differentiate between boundary and field corners?
1. Yes.
2. I thought this was an open, fun type question. I didn't think it was a "Hey, come in and say something so that someone else, whom didn't even offer an opinion can crap on you" type post.
4. Are you saying you don't think Jackson CAN play field? Wasn't the deal with him last year "Get the best talent on the field one way or the other"?
5. I effed up my post, I meant Kalu at field.
6. Look, it's been a long humpday on a long week.
7. You didn't notice I skipped 3.

I would be curious as to how much zone blitz we do out of the new 3-4..... I know diaco likes to mix it up and man blitz as well.. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to a safer zone blitz scheme and not leave the corners on an island so to speak with this injury..dont think we will see a lot of nickel jmho

I'm going to try and seduce my wife with some Husker themed hanky panky and then during snuggle time try and convince her to put my life on hold so I can use up some of my D1 eligibility.

Someone has to **** Iowa up and it might as well be me.

I would be curious as to how much zone blitz we do out of the new 3-4..... I know diaco likes to mix it up and man blitz as well.. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to a safer zone blitz scheme and not leave the corners on an island so to speak with this injury..dont think we will see a lot of nickel jmho

Also interesting. I tend to agree that there will be more zone coverage than man coverage. But I don't know how much that changed due to Jones injury. I think he will send at least 4 on most passing downs and I love how you can really disguise who is coming in a 3-4. But I think the back end will be in cover 2 or cover 3 a big majority of the time, the emphasis will be on limiting big plays. As far as nickel goes, I think that depends on how well Newby, Gifford, Alex Davis and King play in space, I think you could see some 4-2-5 (nickel) against teams that like to spread the field.

I'm going to try and seduce my wife with some Husker themed hanky panky and then during snuggle time try and convince her to put my life on hold so I can use up some of my D1 eligibility.

Do you plan on joining the team as a corner back?

Because at this rate there is a 70% chance probability of you getting injured based on recent injury rates. Be careful out there, those hammys look tight in your back pedal.

Do you plan on joining the team as a corner back?

Because at this rate there is a 70% chance probability of you getting injured based on recent injury rates. Be careful out there, those hammys look tight in your back pedal.

Oh look the Iowa pivot man is off his shift. I bet he knows about injuries, his Popeye like forearms and hands have gone through some cramping from his time on the circle jerk.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Oh look the Iowa pivot man is off his shift. I bet he knows about injuries, his Popeye like forearms and hands have gone through some cramping from his time on the circle jerk.
My goodness, I was just making light of the current defensive back situation.

It's too easy to get you riled up.

But at Iowa they may have open tryouts like the Eagles did in the 70's to find some more WRs to join the team, so if you know any send them over.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Far from riled up. I just like feeding the troll while simultaneously making myself laugh at you expense. I figure you'll either go away or keep coming back. Either way, Win/win for me.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Far from riled up. I just like feeding the troll while simultaneously making myself laugh at you expense. I figure you'll either go away or keep coming back. Either way, Win/win for me.
Oh you were riled up.

And I was just encouraging jflores to pursue his dream.

Riley has been something of a riverboat gambler since he's been here. With the redshirt situation through the injuries, pushing schollies, on the field calls, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them start Bootle and hope he gets over his lumps quick enough.

with the injury and loss of Chris Jones until October or November how would you adjust the secondary?

If it's my decision, I move Lee from boundary CB to field CB and keep Kalu at safety.

I think you almost have to move Lee to the Field spot don't you? As a RS FR you gotta get a little experience in front of Bootle. And then have Kalu take some reps at Field CB too. Although K. Williams does have starting experience at Safety too, so that's something to consider.

Reactions: DukeOfSorrow
My only concern with Keiron Williams is that the staff seemed to lose some confidence with him going into spring. I am sure his play in Iowa game and Tennessee game had something to do with it, but it's one thing to say we need to coach this guy up quite another to move a 3 year corner to safety to play ahead of the guy.

I do hear he took that to heart and had a decent spring. So that is why I went with him in the nickel, moving Kalu to NB. There is always a chance they could keep Kalu at safety and bring in Bootle or another corner to play the nickel.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
I think you almost have to move Lee to the Field spot don't you? As a RS FR you gotta get a little experience in front of Bootle. And then have Kalu take some reps at Field CB too. Although K. Williams does have starting experience at Safety too, so that's something to consider.

you don't move your starting QB to corner just to solidify that position ... are you planning on starting Obrien or pulling Gebbia's redshirt or maybe having Lee play both ways

my god, people

Reactions: DukeOfSorrow

I would definitely leave Kalu at safety. Lee and Bootle battle it out to replace Jones. I suppose this also changes up pressure packages that Coach Diaco would be willing to utilize. Doubt we'll see any cover zero blitzes.

you don't move your starting QB to corner just to solidify that position ... are you planning on starting Obrien or pulling Gebbia's redshirt or maybe having Lee play both ways

my god, people

I'm normally good at getting a joke, and I'm thinking you're joking here, but then I read the "My God, people" and think that you're forgetting Eric Lee is 2nd on the depth chart at Boundary CB.

Are you joking, or did you forget about E. Lee?

I'm normally good at getting a joke, and I'm thinking you're joking here, but then I read the "My God, people" and think that you're forgetting Eric Lee is 2nd on the depth chart at Boundary CB.

it was sarcasm .. sorry that it wasn't obvious

A good rule of thumb would be to wait and see what timnsun does... if I don't fly off the handle over a comment like what JLB posted, it's a good bet it's sarcasm. :)

it was sarcasm .. sorry that it wasn't obvious

I initially thought that, but then I saw "My God, people" and thought "Is he suggesting that I'm using the wrong name for E. Lee?" So then I started thinking...have I been calling our CB from Colorado the wrong name all this time? Laughing

So you are going to have Jackson as the field CB? I haven't heard that from anyone else.
The opinions I have seen, that involve moving Kalu to back to corner, have him replacing Jones on the field side. Interesting.

The only reason why you might think of moving Jackson to Field CB is because he would have more safety help at Field vs Boundary. And for a young guy that is still getting his feet wet, that might be reassuring. Not to mention that there is more space to cover at Field, and his athleticism would be of benefit. But of course you have to be athletic regardless of what CB spot you are at.

It would be nice though to have the experience of a Kalu back at corner, just to solidify one side. And...if they are still separating the CBs and S in practice, it would be nice to have Kalu's presence to give Jackson some confidence. I'm glad the coaches are making these decisions and not us.

The only reason why you might think of moving Jackson to Field CB is because he would have more safety help at Field vs Boundary. And for a young guy that is still getting his feet wet, that might be reassuring. Not to mention that there is more space to cover at Field, and his athleticism would be of benefit. But of course you have to be athletic regardless of what CB spot you are at.

It would be nice though to have the experience of a Kalu back at corner, just to solidify one side. And...if they are still separating the CBs and S in practice, it would be nice to have Kalu's presence to give Jackson some confidence. I'm glad the coaches are making these decisions and not us.

Good points. The only negative I see with Lamar on the wide side is that he got lost in coverage more than I would like to see. Getting lost on the wide side, even with safety help can result in big plays.

I appreciate the X's and O's talk.

I'm just spit-balling here ..... but did we ever consider taking a JUCO DB in this class?:D

I'm just spit-balling here ..... but did we ever consider taking a JUCO DB in this class?:D

Won't need one in this class. I think we recruited 2 last class? Or maybe the class prior. They went out West somewhere, ASU maybe?

Good points. The only negative I see with Lamar on the wide side is that he got lost in coverage more than I would like to see. Getting lost on the wide side, even with safety help can result in big plays.

I appreciate the X's and O's talk.

Yeah, I'm sure there are many more reasons that we aren't taking into consideration that the coaches are looking at, but you're right...having that sideline to help you in coverage means that you can shade the WR to one side more as well...vs having to play guys more so straight up on the Field side. So many things that we're not aware of that these coaches will take into account when deciding whether Kalu moves back. Interesting topic.

Won't need one in this class. I think we recruited 2 last class? Or maybe the class prior. They went out West somewhere, ASU maybe?

With our talent level and depth there is a need at nearly every position for top players. Even better if they're juniors with 2 more years of playing and experience.

Watching Jackson in the Spring Game scared me a lot. I really hope he has been flashing in practice.

You ROCK dude. LOL

Reactions: jflores
ADVERTISEMENT