ADVERTISEMENT

What did Frost mean by

footnfan1

Walk On
Jul 11, 2010
In his press conference he said the way to beat Troys D was to throw intermediate passes.but that he did not want to "sell out" to that strategy.

Why would you not adjust to what you are seeing, and take advantage of what the defense is giving you?

In his press conference he said the way to beat Troys D was to throw intermediate passes.but that he did not want to "sell out" to that strategy.

Why would you not adjust to what you are seeing, and take advantage of what the defense is giving you?
I didn’t even want to listen to the press conference. If he said that out loud, how dumb is that. So he’s saying he knew how to beat Troy but chose not to in fear of selling out his bigger picture strategy?

He knows this season is lost so he’s already setting expectations low so next year at 7-5 looks like a great turnaround
The coaches don’t seem to be TRYING to put out the best effort to win. I know players have to execute but I don’t see the fight in the coaches. I have to agree with you that they aren’t seemed to focus on winning now.

I didn’t even want to listen to the press conference. If he said that out loud, how dumb is that. So he’s saying he knew how to beat Troy but chose not to in fear of selling out his bigger picture strategy?
Yeah. Right. That is what he meant. He really did know how to beat Troy but did not care enough to do so. He is stubborn in his Oregon ways and really dumb as you say. I sure wish we had a different coach.

No, he’s saying that what Troy gave us we didn’t have the personnel to execute taking advantage of it. He thought we had a better chance running the ball than letting bunch put it in the air 30-40 times.

Imagine no turnovers and maybe 5 penalties yesterday or against cu. Until they get that mess of mistakes cleaned up, they won't win much. Stats show they've had enough offense and enough defense to get a win, but stats also tell what we all have seen, 22 penalties and 6 turnovers along with a few other mishaps. There's not enough talent on this team to overcome that.

So he didn't trust a first-time starter. He's not the first coach to ever feel this way. I'm fine with that. What IS disconcerting is that our team is sloppy and undisciplined.

Reactions: Boston.Knight
You simply aren’t going to win many games playing a walk on QB that entered fall camp 3rd on the depth chart.

Critiquing the offense, play calls etc is difficult given the QB situation.

The decisions that resulted in our QB situation landed us in a spot where we went into the season rolling the dice with one QB. That gamble paid dividends for a whole 3 quarters.

The outcome of this entire season will be primarily related to roster management at that position.

So he didn't trust a first-time starter. He's not the first coach to ever feel this way. I'm fine with that. What IS disconcerting is that our team is sloppy and undisciplined.

Exactly. If our special teams do their job, and we limit the other mistakes we win yesterday with Bunch as our QB

Was shocked at our WR inability to create separation. Thought we had a better core of guys here. Troy played solid defense and was able to control the line of scrimmage pretty much all game.

No, he’s saying that what Troy gave us we didn’t have the personnel to execute taking advantage of it. He thought we had a better chance running the ball than letting bunch put it in the air 30-40 times.
There is a big difference from "Knowing" how to attack a team and being able to accomplish it with what you have to work with.

I can't imagine that having Bunch throw it 60 times was the best idea.
Except bunch completed 70% of his passes yesterday. Frost just didn’t trust him

You simply aren’t going to win many games playing a walk on QB that entered fall camp 3rd on the depth chart.

Critiquing the offense, play calls etc is difficult given the QB situation.

The decisions that resulted in our QB situation landed us in a spot where we went into the season rolling the dice with one QB. That gamble paid dividends for a whole 3 quarters.

The outcome of this entire season will be primarily related to roster management at that position.
Agree. People criticize Saban for not announcing his starting QB until after the first game but I bet Frost wishes he could have a do over about how he handled the QB situarion. But then again he’s made comments like “he doesn’t want kids here that don’t want to be here”

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
I cannot believe the ignorant comments being made on here since yesterday.

Pennsy, unfortunately it didn't start yesterday with the ignorance. There is a total lack of basic football understanding and so much stupid "pie in the sky" it maybe is time to take a break from the negativity and stupidity.

mistakes, lack of communication, discipline, all three hurt us, we have to remember these are mostly the same guys playing that went 4-8 last year, L.Jackson is possibly the worst corner I've seen in a long time, all he does is follow the guy he is guarding, we get flagged for the dumbest shit and even with the good coaching we can't get out of our own way half the time. it will be fixed but not as quick as we all want it to be.

After how we physically ran it down Colorado's throat, the coaches were overconfident that we could just "win ugly" by running directly at Troy's defense. As such, the game plan that was developed and practiced during the week was very conservative to protect another QB making his first start at this level of football. Unfortunately, Troy's overly aggressive penetrating defensive strategy was effective at slowing our offense down enough. A good way to attack a penetrating defensive strategy like that is to throw over the top of the penetrating defenders in the area they are vacating. Since we probably didn't practice those plays as much as the game plan plays this week, they didn't feel confident putting the QB/team in the position to execute those plays, as there is higher risk of interceptions since there are usually more defenders in the middle of the field.

This all just my opinion.

After how we physically ran it down Colorado's throat, the coaches were overconfident that we could just "win ugly" by running directly at Troy's defense. As such, the game plan that was developed and practiced during the week was very conservative to protect another QB making his first start at this level of football. Unfortunately, Troy's overly aggressive penetrating defensive strategy was effective at slowing our offense down enough. A good way to attack a penetrating defensive strategy like that is to throw over the top of the penetrating defenders in the area they are vacating. Since we probably didn't practice those plays as much as the game plan plays this week, they didn't feel confident putting the QB/team in the position to execute those plays, as there is higher risk of interceptions since there are usually more defenders in the middle of the field.

This all just my opinion.
I agree. You practice all week to implement a game plan devised by the coaching staff. Any game day adjustments to the plan must take into account the personnel available -their experience and skills, et. al.

Imagine no turnovers and maybe 5 penalties yesterday or against cu. Until they get that mess of mistakes cleaned up, they won't win much. Stats show they've had enough offense and enough defense to get a win, but stats also tell what we all have seen, 22 penalties and 6 turnovers along with a few other mishaps. There's not enough talent on this team to overcome that.
Thank you. Biggest stats in football are turnover margin and penalties. A couple of us had the gall to point out that -3 and yellow flags raining from everywhere aren't a winning formula after the CU loss and the kool-aid chuggers jumped all over us about rushing yards and sacks and AM being the second coming.

Two games, 7 fumbles, 6 turnovers, 22 penalties, two losses.

My dvr (mercifully) didn't get the game yesterday but looks like they had a fumble recovery and an INT yesterday, but they still ended up -1 in the turnover battle. They've had 172 yards in penalties over two games. So basically take 2-3 long drives worth of yardage and throw them right in the toilet. 6 drives gone to turnovers, another 3 in penalty yardage. 9 drives off the board.

Boys, until they prove otherwise, this is still the same team that didn't have the mental toughness to pull off more than 4 games last year and to do the job right when it stopped being fun. Scotty got over his skis talking about we're not going to have a year one like we did at UCF, we're ready to win now. Buddy, maybe you were ready to win now, but these kids obviously haven't forgotten how to piss it down their leg.

I think Frost can turn it around, but you can't sugar coat the fact that these guys will need to beat Purdue on homecoming to avoid heading up to Madison with an 0-4 record and a history of getting punched in the face at Camp Randall.

Except bunch completed 70% of his passes yesterday. Frost just didn’t trust him
In part he doesn't trust him because he has trouble seeing over the line and he also lacks some arm strength to get it in to tight windows. Couple all that with some of our pass pro struggles and you get what we got. He tried to make it easy for him and for the most part it worked.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Means we currently don’t have the personnel to run his playbook in full.

We were never going to see the playbook in full this season. Theres an article out there somewhere that talks about their offensive installation at UCF and it didn’t all come at once. They had some basic basic stuff to learn before they threw more plays at them.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The coaches don’t seem to be TRYING to put out the best effort to win. I know players have to execute but I don’t see the fight in the coaches. I have to agree with you that they aren’t seemed to focus on winning now.
Yeah, they got their money so they don't care, right? You seriously need to visit the real world sometime.

Does anyone think Michigan won't play our offense the same way?

You can't afford to take a shot because you don't trust the guy to take the shot.. ummm

or in other words, a circular reference

You can't afford to take a shot because you don't trust the guy to take the shot.. ummm

Did you see the one shot we took down the field with Bunch? It was basically a jump ball thrown to their safety that our WR was fortunate to break up.

Did you see the one shot we took down the field with Bunch? It was basically a jump ball thrown to their safety that our WR was fortunate to break up.

That was brutal. Predetermined to throw it there. Dont even think there was pressure.

Considering there was probably less than 5 times he didn't throw into triple coverage, I would say not a good idea.
I have coached for a long ass time now and there have been many many many games where we as a staff chat on the sidelines and say "Dang it...if only we were better at doing X"

Frost was

A short intermediate passing game is the most risky for INTs as you are having to make reads against safeties, lbs, and corners. Scott was trying to keep Bunchie out of a 5 int performance...if you remember a quote from our defensive coordinator from last week..."our secondary went for a few weeks without a pick in practice, we already have several this week, so it shows our emphasis on turnovers". The flip side of this is they knew Bunchie had no reservations about throwing picks...the plan moved the ball, kept the game close...our veteran line and linebackers played terrible..it is on our veterans who did not step up, not on a guy who should be running the scout team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT