ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical WHAT IF ...

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
What happens IF (and it's purely hypothetical) MJ's wife decides not to press charges? Does MJ get a high paying job somewhere or is he still branded as an undesirable hire? IF that meant he could still get a job it might be in her self best financial interest to go that route and just press for a divorce?

What happens IF (and it's purely hypothetical) MJ's wife decides not to press charges? Does MJ get a high paying job somewhere or is he still branded as an undesirable hire? IF that meant he could still get a job it might be in her self best financial interest to go that route and just press for a divorce?
Based on the police report, I think Mickey Joseph is radioactive.

His goose is cooked. He'll be lucky to get a position coach job at a smaller college after some sort of rehabilitation

His goose is cooked. He'll be lucky to get a position coach job at a smaller college after some sort of rehabilitation
Even if (unlikely as it may be) they reconcile and she refuses to go forward and testify against him? It seems like in that case nothing would have been proven except maybe she gets charged for a false or nuisance police report?

Not saying any of that is going to happen, just curious about a hypothetical situation and what the law says under such circumstances. It's not like charges like that have never been retracted or declined to be pursued.

Even if (unlikely as it may be) they reconcile and she refuses to go forward and testify against him? It seems like in that case nothing would have been proven?
I can’t imagine any AD hiring him with that police report out there. They would face massive backlash.

Reactions: SkerInCo
In 3 months this will be water under the bridge and everyone moves on in life. TOO MANY EXAMPLES of this not being the case. In a 24-hour Newscycle, this will be a non-issue. Not saying this is acceptable or that I condone this, just a fact based on experience (not personal).

If this goes to jury trial all bets are off, didn't OJ get away with way more. Mickey Joseph will never be retained by Nebraska AD Trev Alberts, it's time to let this episode slip away even though sports fans who hate Nebraska will never let it go.

I remember many years ago that my cousin had an incident like that. His wife had done some crazy stuff (no sexual infidelity involved) intentionally destroying some of their property and lying about her involvement. But then he caught her in the act of destroying the property and lost his temper. He wound up spending a couple of days in jail as a result before their daughter bailed him out. The story had a happy ending though because they reconciled and never ever had another incident like that. He never lost his government job at the time or anything like that. She never pressed any charges and he learned his lesson. Of course, he was a nobody to the general public, not a famous public figure.

Reactions: Matrix Husker
Even if no charges are filed, that ship has sailed. TA and HCR won't stand for it. NU would never not be haunted by it; the media still, to this day, brings up LP and CP.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I don't know specifically regarding Nebraska law, but here in Illinois the State's Attorney can still proceed with filing charges even if the alleged victim declines. Pretty common, actually. They're given that discretion, to my understanding, to prevent victims from being intimidated into dropping charges or just dropping them out of fear in general.

I’m not sure the victim can decide to not press charges in these cases

They can decide not to cooperate with the investigation

There is a big difference between not guilty and innocent

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT