ADVERTISEMENT

What are the big spring storylines

Offense:
QB - TLee or POB
RT - Can Farniok beat out Knevel?
C - Who steps up to be the starter here for multiple years in the future?

Defense:
DL/OLB - Who ends up playing what position? Everyone has guesses, but many differ. I for one am anxious to see where every player lands in these 5 positions.

Special Teams:
What assistant coaches will coach what aspect of special teams.

I think, what a lot of you guys are touching on, at least, is who plays and where, basically, and how long does it take for everyone to adjust to both a more pass-heavy offense and a completely new defensive front.

I think our secondary is fairly well settled, due to there still being a high number of upper classmen starters there. Same with RB, where we have three guys in order just like last year. After that, though, it gets extremely questionable predicting who the starters will be.

The GOOD news is, we actually have high quality depth at every single position. We have tons of LB's, WR's, and offensive and defensive linemen to work with. A lot of them are young, sure, but the talent level has been upgraded significantly over the last few cycles, plus the sheer depth involved (particularly at LB and OL, where we will finally, FINALLY have a 2 deep rotation if we want it) should make it dynamic, flexible, and exciting.

The downside of all of the above though is obviously the lack of experience, and the new scheme being learned on defense.

Definition of pass happy offense to 98% of the country 60/40 pass to run.

In Nebraska 55/45 run to pass.
40/60 pass to run is "pass happy". Even if it works, and take advantage of the way the rules are enforced in the modern game.

From M. Stoltenberg...

Stoltenberg has added 20 lbs of good weight. Up to 310. He and K. Davis at NG. Freedom and C. Davis at DE.

Alex Davis and Sedrick King at Rush OLB. Newby, Gifford, and Ferguson at Sam.

Avery Roberts looks very good. Works hard.

Diaco will run variation of 3-4 that will look like 4-3 50% of the time. Also employs the 4-2-5 at times. Very multiple on defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: GretnaShawn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT