ADVERTISEMENT

"We Weren't Ready..."

Oh they'll be ready this week alright.

Ready to get prison-r@ped.
Arrested Development Mistake GIF

“That predates us”

You just got beat 56-7 by a program that over the previous 3 years won fewer games than the team you currently coach. By a head coach in his first year who has never been a head coach or coordinator at a major college program. The same can be said for Cignetti’s coordinators in regards to prior experience

Cignetti, and his off and defense coordinators without any prior major college coaching experience at the coordinator level made Rhule, Satt and White look like clowns

The score was 28-7 at the half and IU’s QB couldn’t go in the 2nd half and you git your ass lit up by the backup 28-0

No one wants to hear what you think predates you
He’s not wrong. However, I hope he realizes that feeling won’t go away until we consistently prove it wrong.

That feeling definitely surfaced during the Illinois game: a dropped TD to take the lead, followed by a missed field goal... no doubt that vibe was all over the stadium, and it played out as badly as anyone could imagine.

Until the team gets into those pressure situations and succeeds—repeatedly—that feeling will linger for both the fanbase and likely the team.

He’s hinted all year that this is an issue and has tried to point to instances, like Purdue, Rutgers, or even UTEP or Northern Iowa, where we "overcame" similar circumstances. But let’s be real, those examples don’t really qualify. That negative feeling is something he’s clearly concerned about, and while he desperately wants it gone, it won’t just disappear by talking about it.

He’s not wrong. However, I hope he realizes that feeling won’t go away until we consistently prove it wrong.

That feeling definitely surfaced during the Illinois game: a dropped TD to take the lead, followed by a missed field goal... no doubt that vibe was all over the stadium, and it played out as badly as anyone could imagine.

Until the team gets into those pressure situations and succeeds—repeatedly—that feeling will linger for both the fanbase and likely the team.

He’s hinted all year that this is an issue and has tried to point to instances, like Purdue, Rutgers, or even UTEP or Northern Iowa, where we "overcame" similar circumstances. But let’s be real, those examples don’t really qualify. That negative feeling is something he’s clearly concerned about, and while he desperately wants it gone, it won’t just disappear by talking about it.
Then play younger guys and get them ready for next season. Some of the older guys have had enough time

This guy is a fvking loser

We all know that the good coaches have their teams much improved in year 2.
We look as bad or worse.

Rhule clearly is a joke. Only thing that can save him is some new coordinators if he’s smart enough to do that

Otherwise, I’ll just give up thinking we will win anything of note

Hard for me to admit this, but 100% agree with your assessment. 100% speed and youngsters. Let them just go run around and make plays. What is it going to hurt? The other guys aren't doing shit. Try to mix in Bullock as well just to get some decent blocking, but disguise it.
WR rotation is another in a long list of predictable aspects of our team. Start turning Barney loose down field. Guy has shown a pretty damn good knack for hauling in passes. Neyor has been MIA. Bullock comes in and we tip our hand on running. These are D1 coaches. They watch film.

Lol Rhule said they’re not going to add any new wrinkles to the run game. Said that to keep pressure off the run game they need to execute better on swing passes and quick outs.
So rather than adjust the gameplan to the talent we have we're just going to keep repeating the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. That's insane.

5 coaches since Osborne and they're all incapable of adjusting...It's almost like it's the Nebraska way!

2 weeks to prepare, and the best line you can think of is, we weren't prepared... ouch. I did comment on his Thursday (?) press conference that he did not look confident; he appeared very nervous. It showed on Saturday.
He's trying to figure out what to say to appease us loser message board coaches.

It literally doesn't matter what he does/doesn't say, message board fans will pick it apart.

It’s probably time that he starts reducing the amount of time per press conference. While many of us enjoy his availability and truthfulness, he is starting to make comments that fans are running with. Maybe he can go with this style.

AK130Z.gif

Reactions: Dylman
He's trying to figure out what to say to appease us loser message board coaches.

It literally doesn't matter what he does/doesn't say, message board fans will pick it apart.
Pretty much yeah, when you get your ass kicked buy the likes of Indiana he deserves everything that comes his way. There is NO excuse. It's NOT acceptable.

Reactions: Dylman and K_Y_E
It’s probably time that he starts reducing the amount of time per press conference. While many of us enjoy his availability and truthfulness, he is starting to make comments that fans are running with. Maybe he can go with this style.

AK130Z.gif
He likes to talk too much to do that.

Get rid of him, don't care if it's only been two years. It's not like NU doesn't have a track record of wasting money.

He's in over his head. The fact that Satt is still in the building tells me everything.

Go get the only guy who can turn this around or get fat man who knows how to win in this league or Chadwell, cause that's the offense I want to see here.
What coach is going to come here if they are at risk of being fired after 1.5 years! lol

“That predates us”

You just got beat 56-7 by a program that over the previous 3 years won fewer games than the team you currently coach. By a head coach in his first year who has never been a head coach or coordinator at a major college program. The same can be said for Cignetti’s coordinators in regards to prior experience

Cignetti, and his off and defense coordinators without any prior major college coaching experience at the coordinator level made Rhule, Satt and White look like clowns

The score was 28-7 at the half and IU’s QB couldn’t go in the 2nd half and you git your ass lit up by the backup 28-0

No one wants to hear what you think predates you
The team could use a good Coach Lasso speech right now:

This guy is a fvking loser

We all know that the good coaches have their teams much improved in year 2.
We look as bad or worse.

Rhule clearly is a joke. Only thing that can save him is some new coordinators if he’s smart enough to do that

Otherwise, I’ll just give up thinking we will win anything of note
These thoughts are creeping in.

I don’t think it is a feeling as you put it. We have several guys who are new to the team so you are saying they caught that negative feeling? It’s contagious?

There is something to be said about teams that know how to win. When they are practicing, they know how to go all out and get better. When you get into a game and they guy across from you is kicking your teeth in, you can summon something your didn’t know you had and fight back.

I worked with kids who got their teeth kicked in a freshmen and sophomores. They took some beatings but learned how to fight back and eventually win. Not everyone does.

For me, Nebraska, as a team hasn’t developed the confidence in both the coaching staff and the system to overcome negative situations. They have to learn that from lots personal experience. But, for me it wasn’t a feeling, it was a confidence that was developed.

Lol Rhule said they’re not going to add any new wrinkles to the run game. Said that to keep pressure off the run game they need to execute better on swing passes and quick outs.
“Swing passes and quick outs— the recipe for success in the Big Ten. “ - Nobody ever, not even Preacher.

2 years ago:
“I expect our guys to be tough. I expect them to work hard. I expect them to compete. I expect that because I and my staff will do the same thing every day. That is our vision for how we are. We are not going to be like new spread teams. We are going to be a little bit like an old school type of a team. We are going to be a physical team. We will be balanced, and I know you guys will ask lots of questions. We will always try to do what the players do well, but at the end of the day I do not believe you can win if you cannot win the line of scrimmage.

We want to have fast players, explosive players. We want to have speed. We want to have great quarterback play, but at the end of the day through the weight room and recruiting we want to have a physical team that can control the line of scrimmage and control the game. I believe that is the type of team that can win in the elements. That is the type of team that can win on the road. That is the type of team that can have a lead and keep a lead.” - HCMR

Last edited:
Yeah. Don't suck.
Every coach thinks they don’t suck and thinks they know what they’re doing just like every person on this board thinks they know what they’re talking about.

Just like in College Football only about 5% actually do know what they’re doing with a high level of success year in and year out.

You think we are a laughing stock now? What until we start changing Head Coaches out every 2-3 years! I’d rather see the Football program shut down than see that.

You think we are a laughing stock now? What until we start changing Head Coaches out every 2-3 years! I’d rather see the Football program shut down than see that.

2 years? Yes. 3 years? No. There's a fine line there. Give a coach only 2 years and I agree, our public perception only gets worse. And that's not going to happen. Fire a coach that can barely get to .500 after 3 years at a place like Nebraska, and people would certainly understand.

Every coach thinks they don’t suck and thinks they know what they’re doing just like every person on this board thinks they know what they’re talking about.

Just like in College Football only about 5% actually do know what they’re doing with a high level of success year in and year out.

This guy is clearly a bozo. And so are the folks that agreed to this contract. Another loss like that and nobody should show up to the game.

This guy is clearly a bozo. And so are the folks that agreed to this contract. Another loss like that and nobody should show up to the game.
Guaranteed massive conference payouts regardless of record + guaranteed revenue from sellouts regardless of record drives very little urgency to winning

Message board anger doesn’t cost them money but empty seats does

I also believe that some type of tiered payout system should be adopted so that being terrible year and year Isn’t rewarded

Same old tired argument

These thoughts are creeping in.
Of course they are. But let’s see how it goes. at Baylor MR had A couple of bad losses like this his 2nd year, finished OK and was really good the third year. This is not his first college rodeo. Sounds like, And looks like Raiola Is dinged up. We are going to get hammered by Ohio State, But the rest of the season might go OK. It sucks, but we didn’t get here overnight. We won’t get back to respectability, let alone where we want to be overnight either.
MR is not getting any leeway because he has no ties here. That’s not entirely a bad thing.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Of course they are. But let’s see how it goes. at Baylor MR had A couple of bad losses like this his 2nd year, finished OK and was really good the third year. This is not his first college rodeo. Sounds like, And looks like Raiola Is dinged up. We are going to get hammered by Ohio State, But the rest of the season might go OK. It sucks, but we didn’t get here overnight. We won’t get back to respectability, let alone where we want to be overnight either.
MR is not getting any leeway because he has no ties here. That’s not entirely a bad thing.
Agree. But a lot of posters will call you a 'beta' loser if you say 6-6 is acceptable

6-6 would be acceptable for me this year. Disappointing but a slight improvement. Got to get over the hump .Can’t get over the hump until you get to the top of the hump. Easier to see from that vantage point. Really dumb post Sorry.

Reactions: Zeke2005
Agree. But a lot of posters will call you a 'beta' loser if you say 6-6 is acceptable
WTF is a beta loser?

I was sitting next to Long time daily, Oklahoman sports columnist Barry Trammel By chance on a Southwest flight, last year and he apparently wrote an article saying Matt Rhule would’ve been a good choice for Oklahoma when That job last opened up. He said we were fortunate to have him, but he couldn’t believe that Jeff Simms was a starting D1 quarterback Because he looked so bad against Colorado. Turns out he was right about Sims

It’s too freaking early to go this crazy. This coach has a history of taking three years to build a program. If the rest of the year after Ohio State blows, then maybe the coach has lost something, but otherwise, he’s just like he’s been everywhere else -except the pros of course.

Reactions: huskercabby
WTF is a beta loser?

I was sitting next to Long time daily, Oklahoman sports columnist Barry Trammel By chance on a Southwest flight, last year and he apparently wrote an article saying Matt Rhule would’ve been a good choice for Oklahoma when That job last opened up. He said we were fortunate to have him, but he couldn’t believe that Jeff Simms was a starting D1 quarterback Because he looked so bad against Colorado. Turns out he was right about Sims

It’s too freaking early to go this crazy. This coach has a history of taking three years to build a program. If the rest of the year after Ohio State blows, then maybe the coach has lost something, but otherwise, he’s just like he’s been everywhere else -except the pros of course.
I’m not going crazy here but it’s the fashion of the loss to Indiana plus the admission of not being ready. How are you not ready? Each game is really big. After losing to CU and falling to 5-6 in his first season Bill Callahan said it’s just one game, one season. I’m concerned that is the attitude again now. It’s just one game…..that’s how you end up missing bowl games.

Reactions: HominidHusker

I am going by what I see on the field. This team looks disorganized and in over their heads...

It was rumored yesterday that Raiola has been hurt since the Illinois game and aggravated it on Sat. If this is the case, why in the world are you still playing him? He has mentioned several times in his press conferences that DK is looking great and moving the ball effectively against the number one defense... He has mentioned he can win with all three QB's. Time to put your money where your mouth is, pull DR until he is healthy. Rhule is hurting the team!

Reactions: Zeke2005
I am going by what I see on the field. This team looks disorganized and in over their heads...

It was rumored yesterday that Raiola has been hurt since the Illinois game and aggravated it on Sat. If this is the case, why in the world are you still playing him? He has mentioned several times in his press conferences that DK is looking great and moving the ball effectively against the number one defense... He has mentioned he can win with all three QB's. Time to put your money where your mouth is, pull DR until he is healthy. Rhule is hurting the team!
This is shaping up to be like a 40% healthy Adrian Martinez playing because he gave us the best chance to win. You are right, time to play another QB if Rhule believes they can win with any of them.

2 years? Yes. 3 years? No. There's a fine line there. Give a coach only 2 years and I agree, our public perception only gets worse. And that's not going to happen. Fire a coach that can barely get to .500 after 3 years at a place like Nebraska, and people would certainly understand.

If it’s obvious this coach isn’t going to work, why waste another year and hope for a miracle? If you’re at a P5 program, especially a blue blood, and you can’t do better than 5-7 or 6-6 in your 3rd year the writing is on the wall, you don’t have what it takes. You don’t have to be in the playoffs in year 3, but 6-7 wins isn’t good enough to keep your job. IMO

He's either going to have to can Satt or take play calling duties away if we want the same kind of results he had at Baylor in year 3. Satt is incompetent.

If it’s obvious this coach isn’t going to work, why waste another year and hope for a miracle? If you’re at a P5 program, especially a blue blood, and you can’t do better than 5-7 or 6-6 in your 3rd year the writing is on the wall, you don’t have what it takes. You don’t have to be in the playoffs in year 3, but 6-7 wins isn’t good enough to keep your job. IMO

Rhule needs to fix his OC either by replacing him or spoon feeding acceptable play calling. White will get it figured out. Satt I doubt. Right now, Satterfield is the weak link. It isn't our QB. It isn't our O line or any other position coach. Our play calling has been questionable at best and was down right awful against IU.

It sounds like he's trying to shift the blame somewhere else.
yep, completely trying to do that.

The whole 'pre-dates us' thing is him trying to not accept responsibility/accountability

it's a shame because he really is a smooth talker but I am pretty close to writing this guy off already.. Of all the dumb things he could do, this week has sort of been worse than any other prior coach. Yes, worse than the coaches that blew up in the middle of the action or were too blonde to be effective. At least they had passion and were trying to win.. This week is almost an admission that the coach and staff collectively mailed it in. Beyond disappointed, but not surprised. Better look at what's in your rolodex Troy..

Reactions: king_kong_
Rhule needs to fix his OC either by replacing him or spoon feeding acceptable play calling. White will get it figured out. Satt I doubt. Right now, Satterfield is the weak link. It isn't our QB. It isn't our O line or any other position coach. Our play calling has been questionable at best and was down right awful against IU.
The defense looked bad against Illinois and terrible against Indiana. I'm not so sure that White will fix it.

Last edited:
The defense looked bad against Illinois and terrible against Indiana. I'm not so sure that White will fix it.

This season… maybe, maybe not. I think we can improve, but I think there’s a few positions in our back 7 that will difficult to totally solve with our current personnel. Next year though, I have infinitely more confidence in White addressing those issues in the offseason than I do in Satterfield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT