ADVERTISEMENT

We hired Rhule to do a full rebuild

He's given away 3 of his first 11 games here, making mistakes a 10 year old playing madden doesn't make, and then he blamed the fans for his terrible decisions Sat night.

That is just stupid.

How did he "give away" the Minnesota game? By having Grant fumble when the game was being iced away? And you think he "gave away" the Maryland game by throwing into the endzone at the end of the game? But also "gave away" the Wisconsin game by not throwing into the endzone?

Sure, that's all perfectly rational.

Or maybe we have a flawed team that plays hard and has lost some close games we all wish we had won.

Agreed, but we have minimum of 3 more wins with a competent QB and everyone isn’t bitching near as much. We need a lot on O but a qb goes a long way.
This is the big picture answer. Anyone not focused on the glaring errors by the QB that cost games is playing whataboutism.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I guess. Saban also went 6-6 his first year at Alabama, lost his last 4, and lost to Louisianna-Monroe. The idea that a coach has completely built a team, by game 1 of his first season is just stupid.
Mods PLEASE pin this post!

yeah it was silly when people were predicting them to have a 10 or 11 win season.

i do think Fickell is overrated when they put him in the same category as other playoff perennials. his average record in the G5 was 9-3, and winning in the B1G is a much bigger ask than winning in the G5. i thought he'd be a slightly better PJ Fleck, who had similar success in the G5.
Fickell himself is a doofus but he hired good coordinators. Jury is still out on Satterfield

That is just stupid.

How did he "give away" the Minnesota game? By having Grant fumble when the game was being iced away? And you think he "gave away" the Maryland game by throwing into the endzone at the end of the game? But also "gave away" the Wisconsin game by not throwing into the endzone?

Sure, that's all perfectly rational.

Or maybe we have a flawed team that plays hard and has lost some close games we all wish we had won.

He botched the end of the first half vs Minnesota and this idea that the MD and Minnesota games should have been handled the same even though the situations were wildly different is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on this board.

I can't believe anyone is even trying to justify the end of the Wisconsin game. That was quite possibly the worst handled end of game clock mgmt I've ever witnessed. We ran out of time even though we had 90 seconds and 3 timeouts left with the ball inside the Wisconsin 20. We decided to not try to win when facing a 3rd and 2 on the 18. It's laughable.

He botched the end of the first half vs Minnesota and this idea that the MD and Minnesota games should have been handled the same even though the situations were wildly different is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on this board.

Revisionist history and hindsight at its finest.

The situations weren’t wildly different. You just don’t like the result. Kick a FG to go up three with minutes left against an offense you haven’t stopped stopped on the 4Q, and didn’t stop them after the int. And kick a FG to tie it up. Are not wildly different situations.

And Minnesota. Ignoring that Ervin scored. Rhule didn’t make Piper jump off sides from the goal line. After the penalty we threw in the end zone, like you want to so if and when it works. If we just ran and kicked the FG you would have bitched about that too

The situations weren’t wildly different. You just don’t like the result. Kick a FG to go up three with minutes left against an offense you haven’t stopped stopped on the 4Q, and didn’t stop them after the int. And kick a FG to tie it up. Are not wildly different situations.

And Minnesota. Ignoring that Ervin scored. Rhule didn’t make Piper jump off sides from the goal line. After the penalty we threw in the end zone, like you want to so if and when it works. If we just ran and kicked the FG you would have bitched about that too

You don't have any idea of what I would do. No, rhule didn't make him go offsides but he did, for no reason whatsoever, not use the timeout and make sure we knew what we were doing and weren't rushed. There was zero downside to calling the timeout, running the sneak, being ready to spike it if necessary, and then either kicking the FG or going for the TD. You have to minimize your risk.

I had no problem with the Sims throw, because no one knew at that point how badly he was going to play, but it never should have got to that play.

I can't believe the Wisconsin game is even in question. Go watch it again if you think that was handled well. We completely hamstrung ourselves. We literally decided OT was a better option to win than 3rd and 2 from the Wisconsin 18 with a minute left and 3 timeouts.

Reactions: kidofSN

Disagree

Anyone with two brain cells to rub together saw it and commented on it in the moment

Bet you didn’t think you’d be back defending terrible coaching a mere 11 games into this new tenure

I admire your steadfastness on the wall

I worry that he might be letting the pressure get to him already. I doubt people would 2nd guess him at his other stops like he was after the first game here. I always thought he was a risk taker. Didn't see that Saturday night.
Don’t preach “process” and then not stick to it

Disagree

Anyone with two brain cells to rub together saw it and commented on it in the moment

Bet you didn’t think you’d be back defending terrible coaching a mere 11 games into this new tenure

I admire your steadfastness on the wall

I wish I could think of something I admire about your incessant bitching, complaining, and spinning. But I can't.

I wish I could think of something I admire about your incessant bitching, complaining, and spinning. But I can't.
supa-hot-fire-black-guys.gif

Reactions: BleedRed78
The pre-transfer talent misevaluation of Sims is a bad sign about this staff if you ask me.
Well, there were many on this board posting replays of successful Sims highlights. People were very high on him, talked about his athleticism and arm strength.

My take, and this just a huge guess, is the coaches saw all the potential and thought they could fix his footwork and overall technique. Every coach thinks they can and then surround them with better talent.

Rhule was coming into the greatest situation for QB play. Didn't know if Thompson was going to stay or even be healthy. After that, what do you have? Smothers? HH? Chubby was hurt as well. Sims may have been the best he could get to come. Hind site is generally pretty good.

We need more than a QB. In fact QB had nothing to do with yesterday’s loss.

The loss came from piss poor clock management from our coaches, horrific special teams play, 5+ plays where our defense had a missed tackle that turned a large tackle for loss into a big Wisconsin gain and an overall team that just has a complete inability to make key plays at the most pivotal moment in games.

We need so much more than one quarterback
Don’t forget the inability to adjust to a qb draw!

What part if the process is being preached but not practiced?
winning in the 4th quarter

running the ball

it's obvious Rhule got spooked on saturday. that's not process, it's reactionary.

don't bother responding. nobody gives a shit what you plan to pull out of the generic can of nothingtudes you use as reference material when posting.

• Sad
Reactions: thall__
The jury this board? He is toast then. Never calls thr right play, doesn't feature the I or fullback.
Yeah this is obviously a gathering of elite coaches and analysts. Tough crowd. There is no doubt that any OC would need a stronger more experienced receiving corp, deeper RB room and more QB experience. I think Purdy IF he can stay healthy will get better with every game he plays. Better players make coaches better. As I’ve said since January, new staff and new systems was a concern. Add in our injuries and QB problems and no OC would look very good right now IMO. I like Satterfield. I hope he can get things rolling next season. Friday could be the start.

winning in the 4th quarter

running the ball

it's obvious Rhule got spooked on saturday. that's not process, it's reactionary.

don't bother responding. nobody gives a shit what you plan to pull out of the generic can of nothingtudes you use as reference material when posting.
They leave the big ten in rushing

And your last paragraph, lol, take a look in the mirror pal.

Northwestern didn’t need 3-4 years to get bowl eligible. They went from 1-11 to bowl eligible in 1 year... with an fill in head coach.. I’m done with 3-4 years
So a win on friday means that you can stop hyperventilating, right?

+1000!

Mods be sure to pin Saban’s year 2 record 12-0 and year 3 record - national championship as well

You never see the geniuses posting Saban’s year 1 record at Alabama back posting years 2 and beyond
Saban also started in a recruiting hotbed after having had some success at nearby SEC power LSU. The two situations other than that first season are quite a bit different.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT