Oct. 12—BYE
Oct. 19—at Indiana
Oct. 26—at Ohio State
Nov. 2—UCLA
Nov. 9—BYE
Nov. 16—at USC
Nov. 23—Wisconsin
Nov. 29—at Iowa (Friday)
I'd like to see how the final roster and spring looks like, but feeling 7 for now.

A good poll/pool would be how many bowl games get eliminated

iu

Reactions: NYC-Husker
2024 Nebraska Football Schedule
W Aug. 31—UTEP
W Sept. 7—Colorado
W Sept. 14—Northern Iowa
W Sept. 21—Illinois
W Sept. 28—at Purdue
W Oct. 5—Rutgers
Oct. 12—BYE
W Oct. 19—at Indiana
(not sure). Oct. 26—at Ohio State
W Nov. 2—UCLA
Nov. 9—BYE
(not sure) Nov. 16—at USC
W Nov. 23—Wisconsin
W Nov. 29—at Iowa (Friday)

I look at this and I think, Wow, there's only 2, maybe 3 teams I'm scared of here.... I have to temper myself because I thought the same thing last year. I can see 8-9 wins so long as "Nebraska doesn't Nebraska" and give shit away... I'm in the camp that with competent QB play that NU would've been an 8+ win team in 2023 so I'm staying the course with 8

I look at this and I think, Wow, there's only 2, maybe 3 teams I'm scared of here.... I have to temper myself because I thought the same thing last year. I can see 8-9 wins so long as "Nebraska doesn't Nebraska" and give shit away... I'm in the camp that with competent QB play that NU would've been an 8+ win team in 2023 so I'm staying the course with 8
I agree. I see a real possibility for a 10 win season here. BUT ... and this is a big caveat -- it all hinges on whether or not a true Freshman QB can play within himself and not make too many youthful mistakes. If we start HH and try to limp through our season with him as the starter while feathering in Raiola and/or Kaelin here and there, we will be looking at another losing season. My gut says Raiola will be our starter and a 10 win season can only happen if he turns out to be a freshman phenom. If he isn't a game changer right out of the gate then we may win 7 or 8. The good news is that our early schedule is easy and tailor-made for getting a young QB some real game experience against mid level opponents.

Kong , what’s your vote?

The votes are public.

I don’t think we have many good players still and I don’t think we have much of an in-game advantage on the sideline over anyone.

We need a running back, we need to completely overhaul the OL. Special teams are avg at best. Punt and punt return are below avg until proven otherwise.

Not much margin for error. 4-5 wins would be less surprising than 9+.

Last edited:

The votes are public.

I don’t think we have many good players still and I don’t think we have much of an in-game advantage on the sideline over anyone.

We need a running back, we need to completely overhaul the OL. Special teams are avg at best. Punt and punt return are below avg until proven otherwise.

This is one time I will agree with your assessment.

The odds of a freshman QB performing well or even staying healthy is very low. Youth at QB does not bide well for winning although someone will come along and say other teams do it.

We are not dynamic at any position on O right now. Our D, while better, is not the complete package.

And you mentioned special teams. Wow, we have so much room to improve in that area alone.

Reactions: scarletred
I agree. I see a real possibility for a 10 win season here. BUT ... and this is a big caveat -- it all hinges on whether or not a true Freshman QB can play within himself and not make too many youthful mistakes. If we start HH and try to limp through our season with him as the starter while feathering in Raiola and/or Kaelin here and there, we will be looking at another losing season. My gut says Raiola will be our starter and a 10 win season can only happen if he turns out to be a freshman phenom. If he isn't a game changer right out of the gate then we may win 7 or 8. The good news is that our early schedule is easy and tailor-made for getting a young QB some real game experience against mid level opponents.
The counter argument would be that we won 5 games with a lot of turnovers, untimely turnovers, last year with qb's that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn half the time.

Even a young, turnover prone freshman could still have mistakes and have less turnovers than our qbs last year. I'm assuming DR has a better arm in all facets so the passing game should be majorly improved.

I know people generally don't like the OL but it should be improved, even if only slightly. JEJ was playing significant snaps at the end of the year. Do we have a redshirt freshman in the group ready to do the same thing this year?

Rb concerns me. Pass defense concerns me. I was hoping for a D1 portal cb but maybe Tommi Hill is ready to be the top corner. Or maybe Blye Hill. Kind of off-topic but did anyone see where Blye Hill was 5'6" 80lbs as a high school freshman? Now 6'3" 175. Talk about a growth spurt. LJS article said NU has a dedicated staffer that just scours the portal and ran across Hill.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
The counter argument would be that we won 5 games with a lot of turnovers, untimely turnovers, last year with qb's that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn half the time.

Even a young, turnover prone freshman could still have mistakes and have less turnovers than our qbs last year. I'm assuming DR has a better arm in all facets so the passing game should be majorly improved.

I know people generally don't like the OL but it should be improved, even if only slightly. JEJ was playing significant snaps at the end of the year. Do we have a redshirt freshman in the group ready to do the same thing this year?

Rb concerns me. Pass defense concerns me. I was hoping for a D1 portal cb but maybe Tommi Hill is ready to be the top corner. Or maybe Blye Hill. Kind of off-topic but did anyone see where Blye Hill was 5'6" 80lbs as a high school freshman? Now 6'3" 175. Talk about a growth spurt. LJS article said NU has a dedicated staffer that just scours the portal and ran across Hill.
Yea

Who knows how DR will respond to being punched in the mouth for the first time in his life

That and that alone will dictate his ceiling IMO. Physical tools obviously all there.

This is one time I will agree with your assessment.

The odds of a freshman QB performing well or even staying healthy is very low. Youth at QB does not bide well for winning although someone will come along and say other teams do it.

We are not dynamic at any position on O right now. Our D, while better, is not the complete package.

And you mentioned special teams. Wow, we have so much room to improve in that area alone.
I think we have a lot potential to be dynamic on O. Wish we had a burner at rb. I can't think of 2 wideouts we've ever had at the same time with the speed of Coleman/Lloyd. Fidone looked rusty last year but that's not surprising for anyone that has had a significant leg injury. I expect him to make a big jump next year as he shakes off the injuries and uses his very wide catch radius. What we lack is experienced depth at wideout and reliable depth at rb.

I expect ST to be majorly improved just by bringing in Koch. Punting was terrible last year compared to the teams we were playing.

Aug. 31—UTEP = W
Sept. 7—Colorado = Toss Up...Will go with W
Sept. 14—Northern Iowa = W
Sept. 21—Illinois = W
Sept. 28—at Purdue = Toss Up...L
Oct. 5—Rutgers = W
Oct. 12—BYE
Oct. 19—at Indiana = W
Oct. 26—at Ohio State = L
Nov. 2—UCLA = L
Nov. 9—BYE
Nov. 16—at USC = L
Nov. 23—Wisconsin = Toss Up... L
Nov. 29—at Iowa (Friday) = L

For me all depends on our QB play:

Aug. 31—UTEP = W - Start us off right
Sept. 7—Colorado = W - Just need to jump on them early
Sept. 14—Northern Iowa = W - Lets go
Sept. 21—Illinois = W - Will battle for awhile then take over
Sept. 28—at Purdue = W - Should win 14+
Oct. 5—Rutgers = L - Tough game and lose the Nebraska way
Oct. 12—BYE
Oct. 19—at Indiana = W - So coach you aren't the best team in the B1G
Oct. 26—at Ohio State = L - Might be closer than anticipated dependent on QB
Nov. 2—UCLA = W - Not going well for Chip
Nov. 9—BYE
Nov. 16—at USC = L - Our D gets confused
Nov. 23—Wisconsin = W - End The Streak
Nov. 29—at Iowa (Friday) = W - **** Iowa

The votes are public.

I voted 6. I agree with this 100%. Last year I predicted < or = to 4 wins. We got five. So, this year, it could be 6 wins plus or minus 1 win.

In any event, I hope the team is still working hard now and not waiting till later. They still have aaalot of practices to make up as a team.

Reactions: king_kong_
I think we have a lot potential to be dynamic on O. Wish we had a burner at rb. I can't think of 2 wideouts we've ever had at the same time with the speed of Coleman/Lloyd. Fidone looked rusty last year but that's not surprising for anyone that has had a significant leg injury. I expect him to make a big jump next year as he shakes off the injuries and uses his very wide catch radius. What we lack is experienced depth at wideout and reliable depth at rb.

I expect ST to be majorly improved just by bringing in Koch. Punting was terrible last year compared to the teams we were playing.
That word "potential" is pretty nebulous. We had very little to be excited about on the O last year and the all conference teams reflected that. Until the WR's and TE's show something, I won't be convinced. As you state, they have speed and what after that? Do they recognize coverage, can they catch in a crowd and can they block in space among others. So far, none of them have proven all of that or even come close.

This is the same conversation we have every year and the same justification we have for being better is "potential" and that is never defined.

As for STs here we go next year with a freshman punter and a sophomore place kicker - I guess that is lots of potential mixed with lots of inexperience.

I believe we could see a slight regression in D this next year. We need some dynamic LB play and I am not seeing where it is going to come from and our CB's were marginal at best. It seems our strength is up front and the back end with a messy sandwich in between.

That word "potential" is pretty nebulous. We had very little to be excited about on the O last year and the all conference teams reflected that. Until the WR's and TE's show something, I won't be convinced. As you state, they have speed and what after that? Do they recognize coverage, can they catch in a crowd and can they block in space among others. So far, none of them have proven all of that or even come close.

This is the same conversation we have every year and the same justification we have for being better is "potential" and that is never defined.

As for STs here we go next year with a freshman punter and a sophomore place kicker - I guess that is lots of potential mixed with lots of inexperience.

I believe we could see a slight regression in D this next year. We need some dynamic LB play and I am not seeing where it is going to come from and our CB's were marginal at best. It seems our strength is up front and the back end with a messy sandwich in between.
So potentially bad is not so nebulous? I mean everyone can claim that these players will never reach the expected potential. I mean you are saying that this year’s LB core won’t match the play of last year. Even though Bullock, gbayor and wright played significant snaps.

I guess I just grow tired of those that never want to see the positive potential in players. To me it is more about not wanting to get your hopes up than it is about actual potential. People would rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed, so they lower their expectations in an effort to be surprised.

I predict 3 wins so when they get to 7 I can say they exceeded my artificial expectations.

our placekicker is talented, just needs consistency.

our punt and kick coverage was improved.

kickoff return was non-existent. punt return was laughably non-existent and borderline derelict.

we blocked 3 FGs, returned one for a TD. no punt blocks.

Reactions: leodisflowers
4-5 wins until proven otherwise. Saw some serious coaching red flags from Rhule and they couldn't even get to bowl eligibility with one of the weakest schedules in the P5. And the B1G is only getting tougher.

If DR turns out to truly be a dynamic QB, then my prediction would go to 8-9 wins.

• Sad
At a minimum, they have to make a bowl game next year. I'll be super disappointed if they don't. I went with 7 wins but it's imperative that they stack wins in the 1st half of the schedule because the 2nd half of the season will have more talented opponents (on paper). If they can get off to a fast start and go between 5-2 to 7-0 heading into Ohio State, then who knows what the win ceiling is? Start fast, gain confidence and hopefully a few freshmen (on both sides of the ball) end up starting and playing well sooner than we think.

First year starters at every skill position.

Qb - Haarberg
Rb - Ej
WR- Coleman, Lloyd, Bullock
TE- Fidone

Pretty unique situation. Like I said, put Coleman, Lloyd, Fidone is the portal and you would see what other coaches think of them. I bet they think pretty highly.

Still think this roster is 5-7 win range. On O and ST what has changed? We now have an even less experienced QB room. Would love to proven wrong but like Kong said 25/26 is when it starts to count.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT