ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: Spay a Dog, Y or N

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
Pup just turned about 6 months old and the vet called and asked about spaying. Have heard arguments both for it and against it. Don't plan on breeding. Any opinions here? I'm sure there's many dog owners on the board.

I say yes. I've done it both ways and spaying is def better in my opinion.. Lower risk of cancer too I believe. No mess to deal with 2 times a year and dog's behavior is fine as well. It's a no brainer to me if one is not going to breed her.

I say yes. I've done it both ways and spaying is def better in my opinion.. Lower risk of cancer too I believe. No mess to deal with 2 times a year and dog's behavior is fine as well. It's a no brainer to me if one is not going to breed her.
This

100% Agree. If you're not looking to breed her, it's better for her health and temperament to be spayed. And before the 1st heat cycle is best per the vets I have talked too.

Our first dog, we didn't get her spayed. Well, not to be gross, but after one drippy, surprises on the carpet cycle later (she didn't clean herself), we had her lined up at the vet immediately. Our new pup is 4 months and she's already scheduled.

Also don't think you want to risk an unwanted litter especially with a different breed. Now you're stuck with multiple pups that you have to responsibly find good homes.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Pup just turned about 6 months old and the vet called and asked about spaying. Have heard arguments both for it and against it. Don't plan on breeding. Any opinions here? I'm sure there's many dog owners on the board.
If you don't spay her, it doesn't matter whether you plan on breeding or not. Some males in the neighborhood will take matters into their own paws.

I'll agree with everything said so far, and add that while I don't know your dog's breed, with larger breeds unspayed females are more likely to have cancer issues than smaller breeds. I have Great Danes and given the very high rate of cancer among unspayed females it is a given that I spay.

I'll agree with everything said so far, and add that while I don't know your dog's breed, with larger breeds unspayed females are more likely to have cancer issues than smaller breeds. I have Great Danes and given the very high rate of cancer among unspayed females it is a given that I spay.

Great Danes live long enough to get cancer? Ive worked with a few guys that had Danes, maybe it was bad luck, but those dogs died young.

Spay her. You don't want her in heat, she'll drip all over the house and it will make male dogs very aggressive and dangerous around her.

Schuele said some dudes in the neighborhood will take matters into their own paws.

That crack me up

Have her spayed as soon as possible, befor she goes into heat the first time. You won't be sorry.

Just curious why you would consider to not spay? What are the advantages if you are not breeding?

Thanks!

Just curious why you would consider to not spay? What are the advantages if you are not breeding?

Thanks!
Oh, I've just had a couple buddies that have said they think their "quality of life" is worse if spayed. Or that their demeanors change.

Oh, I've just had a couple buddies that have said they think their "quality of life" is worse if spayed. Or that their demeanors change.
I can tell you my experience the time that I did not do it, it actually put the dog through more issues. When her cycle would come around, her behavior got worse. At times she became very clingy, and at other times, it was just hard to watch. I had a few girlfriends chastise me over it saying I needed to do something to alleviate it. At the time, I felt like keeping things natural was the best way, and I thought it would be cool if she became a mom (never did) and in hindsight, I'll never put a dog through that again unless she is for sure going to be bred. Makoa, a white german shepherd was an awesome dog, and almost made it to 12 years old. She had a cancerous growth in that area as well. I do not know if spaying her would have prevented that or not. My current shepherd is almost 4 and has none of the behavior issues nor hormonal issues and all I can say is I believe her quality of life is better, but you have to make that decision up front on the breeding part, which I wish I had done.

Reactions: St. Anger
I can tell you my experience the time that I did not do it, it actually put the dog through more issues. When her cycle would come around, her behavior got worse. At times she became very clingy, and at other times, it was just hard to watch. I had a few girlfriends chastise me over it saying I needed to do something to alleviate it. At the time, I felt like keeping things natural was the best way, and I thought it would be cool if she became a mom (never did) and in hindsight, I'll never put a dog through that again unless she is for sure going to be bred. Makoa, a white german shepherd was an awesome dog, and almost made it to 12 years old. She had a cancerous growth in that area as well. I do not know if spaying her would have prevented that or not. My current shepherd is almost 4 and has none of the behavior issues nor hormonal issues and all I can say is I believe her quality of life is better, but you have to make that decision up front on the breeding part, which I wish I had done.

Fully agree. My friend adopted a husky, she had been a breeder, and the first time he brought her over she was in heat. Trust me, if you're not breeding her, you want nothing to do with it. First she was dripping bloody who-knows-what out of her doglady parts onto our floor (fortunately wood floors), and they said it was just madness if she got around males. Didn't matter if they were intact or not, they went nuts and wouldn't leave her alone.

She will get nuts and potentially dangerous when she's in heat, and the males will be aggressive for SURE. They'll fight each other viciously over her, and they'd be happy to open up your arm for you if you get involved. This look like fun to have in your yard?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT