ADVERTISEMENT

Visiting Fordham fan

CKSmith45

Feb 2, 2005
Good afternoon, Husker fans. Thrilled to be headed to Lincoln to see us play a game with such a storied program. I'll have a quick turnaround time there with my son but am curious if there are things on campus or in Lincoln that are must-see or must-do for us? He's a junior in HS so we'll be doing a self guided tour of campus but otherwise have nothing planned. Very much appreciate any feedback.

I know we're not the program on your schedule that sparks fear or packs the crowd in but if there are any questions about Fordham I can answer, please let me know and I'll do my best.

Thank you ... and good luck in all games but 1 this year!

Not sure where you're from CK but I do recommend East campus and a trip to the dairy store for some quality ice cream and a view of some of the historical buildings on the Ag campus that the University was founded on
Tractor museum

• Haha
Reactions: artguy68
How much time? Coming in AND leaving when and where are you staying? Any particular interest you have or your son? What is he thinking post high school wise

Hi OP, question about your football team. What is your best position group and do you guys have a FCS QB such as Joe Flacco on your team? NU tends to make average QB's look like NFL draft picks. Hopefully you and your son enjoy your time in LNK!

Reactions: jeans1515
Our State Capitol is a pretty kick ass building.

They have guided tours everyday.

It isn't far from downtown or the stadium, and Uber or any cab would take you there.
Other than that, get some chicken wings at the Watering Hole or the N'Zone.

Runza. Its a local institution. Try one.

I would expect game day atmosphere will be pretty good due to no fans in attendance last year. Just go downtown and then to campus a few hours before kick off. Walk around and soak it all in. Wear Fordham gear and you will find the fans to be very welcoming as well.

Any interest in automotive/hot rod/racing history? Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed is unbelievable. Doesn't really get mentioned in conjunction with visiting Lincoln but it is tremendous.

Get the real Lincoln experience, hit up O street at midnight, 3 dollar covers, enough hot girls you cant get, more than enough uglys you dont want but will pursue only to get shot down anyways. Drink some 32 oz 5 dollar nattys keg beer, then get the Elkcreek puke juice, Hit up the Gourmet grill for a hot n spicy Z plate, enjoy the blind homeless guy beat on his wash tub outside as you wait an hour for 475-ride to pick u up and take you home and sleep it off until 8:30 and get up and yelll GO Big Fordham. If you want to skip the 475-ride and drive home, can maybe get tossed in detox to complete the grand slam Lincoln affair. Have a good time down here at the game, and if god forbid you win, us husker fans will still be kind and courteous towards you and your son but will most likely be mentally abusing ourselves and our own existence.

Get the real Lincoln experience, hit up O street at midnight, 3 dollar covers, enough hot girls you cant get, more than enough uglys you dont want but will pursue only to get shot down anyways. Drink some 32 oz 5 dollar nattys keg beer, then get the Elkcreek puke juice, Hit up the Gourmet grill for a hot n spicy Z plate, enjoy the blind homeless guy beat on his wash tub outside as you wait an hour for 475-ride to pick u up and take you home and sleep it off until 8:30 and get up and yelll GO Big Fordham. If you want to skip the 475-ride and drive home, can maybe get tossed in detox to complete the grand slam Lincoln affair. Have a good time down here at the game, and if god forbid you win, us husker fans will still be kind and courteous towards you and your son but will most likely be mentally abusing ourselves and our own existence.
You forgot getting Perkins or DeLeons after the bar time while you are in a line with hundreds of other drunk drivers.

Reactions: bjweyers7
Yes!

And yell out some "Goooooooo biiiiiiiiig Reeeeeeeeeeeed" like, every 30 seconds.

Good afternoon, Husker fans. Thrilled to be headed to Lincoln to see us play a game with such a storied program. I'll have a quick turnaround time there with my son but am curious if there are things on campus or in Lincoln that are must-see or must-do for us? He's a junior in HS so we'll be doing a self guided tour of campus but otherwise have nothing planned. Very much appreciate any feedback.

I know we're not the program on your schedule that sparks fear or packs the crowd in but if there are any questions about Fordham I can answer, please let me know and I'll do my best.

My only question is will you guys please let us win one?

Thanks guys - great stuff - some informative, some hilarious ... all appreciated.

To answer the football question, the Joe Flacco's at FCS level are few and far between. We do have a very good FCS level QB back in returning Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year, Tim DeMorat. He's great for us but have not heard that he's high on any NFL team's radar. We have a great nucleus returning and are picked second in the PL in pre-season rankings (to Holy Cross). So we should be competitive in most FCS games and also make a good run at the PL title which would give us an auto-bid to the FCS playoffs.

The catch to the whole thing is that we're talking FCS. For those that don't know there are a few FCS conferences such as the CAA & Missouri Valley that dominate the subdivision the way the SEC, B10 and ACC for the most part dominate your level. We're not in one of them as the Patriot League is more of a middle of the pack FCS conference, if not lower, overall. So think of us playing one of the better CAA schools like Villanova being something similar to a lower level FBS school like UMASS playing you guys.

Now add a completely different level to it where we're not just playing a top FCS school but moving up to play a B10 school like Nebraska and the gap is just MASSIVE. There's probably part of all us that can have that Dumb & Dumber 'so you're sayin there's a chance' type of hope but the reality is that we're hoping to come out, play hard & try to make a game of it for as long as possible. Then hopefully not have any major injuries and pick up our check and fly home if that makes sense.

Again, very much appreciate the responses and can't wait to see Lincoln!

My son loved the trophy room when I took him about the same age .. the stands should still be full at least at kickoff but you and the rest of your fans should be met with hospitality and be welcomed at tailgates as well. I know we have never tyrned away other fans when they stopped by to tailgate have a beer and a brat....Enjoy the experience and welcome

My son loved the trophy room when I took him about the same age .. the stands should still be full at least at kickoff but you and the rest of your fans should be met with hospitality and be welcomed at tailgates as well. I know we have never tyrned away other fans when they stopped by to tailgate have a beer and a brat....Enjoy the experience and welcome

I concur…for a fan of college football, the trophy room is a must.
Check out the national championship, Heismans, and all the bowl game trophies.

1-F05-CE5-A-A615-40-FA-9-DBA-E3444-D1570-ED.jpg

D3-F74013-4-D6-E-4-F51-BF95-78-FAFCECF4-D2.jpg

Wear your Fordham gear, NU fans live to be welcoming to visiting fans, especially ones whose teams have no history of causing us heartache.
Hahah! So true!

Also, be ready to get an "education" on college football, if you want it or not, get ready for it.

Thanks guys - great stuff - some informative, some hilarious ... all appreciated.

To answer the football question, the Joe Flacco's at FCS level are few and far between. We do have a very good FCS level QB back in returning Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year, Tim DeMorat. He's great for us but have not heard that he's high on any NFL team's radar. We have a great nucleus returning and are picked second in the PL in pre-season rankings (to Holy Cross). So we should be competitive in most FCS games and also make a good run at the PL title which would give us an auto-bid to the FCS playoffs.

The catch to the whole thing is that we're talking FCS. For those that don't know there are a few FCS conferences such as the CAA & Missouri Valley that dominate the subdivision the way the SEC, B10 and ACC for the most part dominate your level. We're not in one of them as the Patriot League is more of a middle of the pack FCS conference, if not lower, overall. So think of us playing one of the better CAA schools like Villanova being something similar to a lower level FBS school like UMASS playing you guys.

Now add a completely different level to it where we're not just playing a top FCS school but moving up to play a B10 school like Nebraska and the gap is just MASSIVE. There's probably part of all us that can have that Dumb & Dumber 'so you're sayin there's a chance' type of hope but the reality is that we're hoping to come out, play hard & try to make a game of it for as long as possible. Then hopefully not have any major injuries and pick up our check and fly home if that makes sense.

Again, very much appreciate the responses and can't wait to see Lincoln!
North Dakota State has a couple of wins over B1G teams. I believe they have beaten Iowa and Minnesota.

Welcome to Lincoln OP :)

1. Make sure you get a runza in the stadium.
2. Spend some time in the Haymarket area - lots of food and drink choices down there.
3. Wear your Fordham gear proudly - Husker fans are welcoming!
4. If you have some time, walk-through some tailgate lots (there are MANY of them) and you're guaranteed to be invited in for food and drinks.

There are several women’s volleyball games that weekend. Great environment in our old basketball arena that was converted to volleyball only. Sells out every match.

Wear your Fordham gear, NU fans live to be welcoming to visiting fans, especially ones whose teams have no history of causing us heartache.

I am a dreaded Iowa fan that has been to a couple games in Lincoln, Nothing but good things to say about the experiences, 99% of the people are just good Midwest folks. Totally different than the message board banter. Now Wisconsin fans on the other hand………

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT