ADVERTISEMENT

UW targeting Fickell

Cmon. I’m sorry if I misinterpreted your original post about Tom and Rhule’s phone call.
And that you flat out dismissed TO telling Rhule what to do with his staff as something “I couldn’t possibly believe” when it’s sourced directly from the man himself

C’mon, sonny. Do better

And that you flat out dismissed TO telling Rhule what to do with his staff as something “I couldn’t possibly believe” when it’s sourced directly from the man himself

C’mon, sonny. Do better
I had already heard from Rhule’s own mouth that HE had called Tom and that they had discussed Mickey. I (apparently mistakenly) read your post to mean that Tom had initiated contact. Mickey’s status is the elephant in the room right now and Trev no doubt had warned Rhule that they were going to have to address it publicly.

I would say that they’re out in front of it unlike what Wisconsin just did.

You might want to use libel rather than slander.
Edit** When I said libel I was referring to someone calling another a liar on a public forum.

The idea that dingle said something that turned out to be not true reflects no harm to anyone's reputation or character.

Can't we have a strong back-and-forth disagreement without calling someone a liar when they made a mistake and apologized for it? It doesn't call for an end zone celebration kong.

You always kiss the ring.
I hope Rhule’s call to Tom was just for show, just to appease the bottom of the barrel in our fan base. If I were Rhule, I would smile and act interested but ignore and disregard everything he said. It’s not 1997 anymore. If he demanded that Rhule hire Mickey, then I think he should not for no other reason than to show that he’s in charge. Rhule needs to blaze his own trail. His fate will be determined by his ability to win games on the field, and nobody from the 90’s is going to help him do that.

Reactions: gw2kpro
I had already heard from Rhule’s own mouth that HE had called Tom and that they had discussed Mickey. I (apparently mistakenly) read your post to mean that Tom had initiated contact. Mickey’s status is the elephant in the room right now and Trev no doubt had warned Rhule that they were going to have to address it publicly.

I would say that they’re out in front of it unlike what Wisconsin just did.
Wisconsin does seem to be tone-deaf on the negative impact it would have given the way it was handled. A lot of bad feelings about that one. Seems "blindsided" was the word of the day.

Edit** When I said libel I was referring to someone calling another a liar on a public forum.

The idea that dingle said something that turned out to be not true reflects no harm to anyone's reputation or character.

Can't we have a strong back-and-forth disagreement without calling someone a liar when they made a mistake and apologized for it? It doesn't call for an end zone celebration kong.
No he’s right. I’m a liar. I freely admit that I’ve lied in the past and no doubt will in the future.

• Love
Reactions: LegendaryFrechFry
Wisconsin does seem to be tone-deaf on the negative impact it would have given the way it was handled. A lot of bad feelings about that one. Seems "blindsided" was the word of the day.
Alvarez could smooth it over if so inclined. OR he could go full out Tradition Coalition and try to undermine Fickell and the AD. Fickell will probably be more sensitive to the situation than Billy C was though.

Reactions: BleedRed78

I love nothing more than a strong back and forth & appreciate those who banter with me more than they now. I hate when people put me on the 'ignore' list because - despite my delivery in many cases - I try my best to bring info, humor and degenerate gambling analysis

we are all pulling from the same side of the rope around here

putting words in my mouth will always be grounds for correction

Reactions: Walleye79
No he’s right. I’m a liar. I freely admit that I’ve lied in the past and no doubt will in the future.
Okay, back to football.

I know the name Marcus Satterfield is being mentioned as a potential OC. I hope Rhule has someone better in mind. Satterfield has a past that is less than stellar.

Alvarez could smooth it over if so inclined. OR he could go full out Tradition Coalition and try to undermine Fickell and the AD. Fickell will probably be more sensitive to the situation than Billy C was though.
I see Fickell and Callahan as the opposite type of men.

Fickell seems to want to embrace Wisconsin and what they have represented, whereas, Callahan sought to erase all things Nebraska when he took over.

I hope Rhule’s call to Tom was just for show, just to appease the bottom of the barrel in our fan base. If I were Rhule, I would smile and act interested but ignore and disregard everything he said. It’s not 1997 anymore. If he demanded that Rhule hire Mickey, then I think he should not for no other reason than to show that he’s in charge. Rhule needs to blaze his own trail. His fate will be determined by his ability to win games on the field, and nobody from the 90’s is going to help him do that.
Rhule is a pragmatic guy as shown by him hiring a Texas high school coach when he took the Baylor job. He also is smart enough to know that embracing Tom and listening to his thoughts is a wise political move. Let’s face it, hiring a WR coach like a Mickey shouldn’t be a stretch. It’s just going to be a matter of if he gets to keep the assistant head coach title and pay scale.

Reactions: scarletred
I see Fickell and Callahan as the opposite type of men.

Fickell seems to want to embrace Wisconsin and what they have represented, whereas, Callahan sought to erase all things Nebraska when he took over.
The potential problem will be if things go south his first season. The fans will turn on him and the AD quickly if Alvarez isn’t on board

Rhule is a pragmatic guy as shown by him hiring a Texas high school coach when he took the Baylor job. He also is smart enough to know that embracing Tom and listening to his thoughts is a wise political move. Let’s face it, hiring a WR coach like a Mickey shouldn’t be a stretch. It’s just going to be a matter of if he gets to keep the assistant head coach title and pay scale.
Pretending to listen to Tom is a wise political move. Actually listening and acting on what he says would be an incredibly dumb football move. 2023 != 1997.

I agree that hiring Mickey should not be a stretch. However, if TO is telling me I have to do it, then I would not. If Trev told me I have to do it as part of the offer, then I would not accept. I also would not if I felt I had someone better for the role I want that person to fill. I want Mickey to be here, but I want coaches all pulling in the same direction even more.

Reactions: gw2kpro
I’ve always liked Rhule over Fickell. I think Fickell is a doofus.
Sorry, this was a reply to the guy who called it a ground rule double, not a critique of the hire. He should have said ground Rhule double, but didn’t. Missed opportunity

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT