ADVERTISEMENT

Utter

He is in the 285- 290 range. I think once Foster gets some PT he may well be the #1 guy.

Utter is intense and meaner than a hungry badger.

Just out of curiosity, why would you not want Barrett to redshirt? I think he's a great prospect, but when you don't redshirt a player, you're essentially trading an 18-year-old version of that player for a 22-year-old one (assuming he wouldn't go pro early) when you lose the 5th year and gain the first year. Is it that you think he would add a lot to the OG position this year due to current depth? I would think that with Farmer and Foster (along with Whitaker) backing up Utter and Kondolo, Barrett wouldn't be needed enough to justify burning that redshirt, but that's just my opinion.

Playing freshmen is the way to get big time recruits to come to your school and it puts you ahead experience wise

RS are for players you need to develop. Thats why you recruit highly rated prayers. Because they are more likely ready to play now.

Kids want to play early...idk why fans don't understand that.

Playing freshmen is the way to get big time recruits to come to your school and it puts you ahead experience wise

RS are for players you need to develop. Thats why you recruit highly rated prayers. Because they are more likely ready to play now.

I get that kids want to play early, but the decision has to be the right one for both the player and the team. Don't let a guy play and waste a redshirt year for nothing. We've wasted some good players' freshman year for very minimal on-field impact.

Not on the Offensive line. Its a way to lose games.

USC and Auburn signed elite freshmen linemen last season and played a lot of them. Those teams lost a combined 9 games.

Reactions: headcard
If Barnett makes it into the top 4 OG (passing at least Farmer) or maybe the top 5 (passing at least Hannon and Whitaker) you might play him, but otherwise I don't play him just to get him a few snaps in garbage time.

Tanner Farmer was physically ready last year, but his dad was on here and said that in the end he felt that a redshirt was the best thing for him, letting him learn the position better and get adjusted to college.

Almost any other position, sure, but I think you only play an OL as a true freshman if they're a true 5-star, top 25 or so player in the country or you're desperate. Show that we play true freshmen by playing Young, Morgan, Ober, Ferguson, Aaron Williams, and whoever else makes the 2-deep.

By all means you recruit high rated players. But if after the fall camp they are on the wrong side of the depth chart, you make plans to redshirt. During the pipeline years, there were lots of great lineman that had to wait until their junior year to play significant snaps. Nick Gates is at least even money to start as of today. Since he was a RS, we now have him for four years instead of three. There is plenty of stuff to occupy Barnett's time in his first year that will make him an elite lineman by his third of fourth year in the program.

Reactions: jeans15
Just out of curiosity, why would you not want Barrett to redshirt? I think he's a great prospect, but when you don't redshirt a player, you're essentially trading an 18-year-old version of that player for a 22-year-old one (assuming he wouldn't go pro early) when you lose the 5th year and gain the first year. Is it that you think he would add a lot to the OG position this year due to current depth? I would think that with Farmer and Foster (along with Whitaker) backing up Utter and Kondolo, Barrett wouldn't be needed enough to justify burning that redshirt, but that's just my opinion.

Jeans15 (below) expresses my thoughts exactly.

Another thought on Barnett. Not a single Husker has had a single snap in a real game in Riley's system.
So he is not that far behind. He was praised for his power, etc. in ways that some of the other never were.

Another thought on Barnett. Not a single Husker has had a single snap in a real game in Riley's system.
So he is not that far behind. He was praised for his power, etc. in ways that some of the other never were.

So you will ignore age, experience, strength training, etc. all because it is a new system? Seems legit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT