ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today: Oklahoma outbids themselves, signs Brent Venables to six-year extension

The length of the contract is immaterial IMO. If he wins, he will be at Oklahoma for as long as he wants to be. If he doesn’t win, they’ll fire him long before 6 years is up. Might cost them a little more buyout money but they got plenty money.

The length of the contract is immaterial IMO. If he wins, he will be at Oklahoma for as long as he wants to be. If he doesn’t win, they’ll fire him long before 6 years is up. Might cost them a little more buyout money but they got plenty money.
Exactly. The contract is really only for the coach. Not for the school.

I know a lot of husker fans are now obsessed with money but a lot of schools print money and OU is one of them. If the need to buy him out later on...boosters will be more than happy to give money.

I know a lot of husker fans are now obsessed with money but a lot of schools print money and OU is one of them. If the need to buy him out later on...boosters will be more than happy to give money.
Nobody mentioned money on here. The discussion was some are surprised they extended him when they are moving to a new conference. It’s not he tore it up 2 years so far. He was through 27 . Money is not an issue anymore for a lot programs in P5.

Mark it down, they won’t win 10 games in a season for the next 5 years.

Beating Texas Tech and Kansas and shit is one thing… the SEC is another.
Right now only Vanderbilt and MSU are “easy outs”.

Reactions: Lincoln100
Nobody mentioned money on here. The discussion was some are surprised they extended him when they are moving to a new conference. It’s not he tore it up 2 years so far. He was through 27 . Money is not an issue anymore for a lot programs in P5.
More money to spend after cutting ties with big12

Check post #5.

Then go to your account name and delete your account.

6 years waaay to long in this case. IMO.
Agreed. Especially for a coach who has not brought a championship, or not even played for a championship (of any kind), and...including no bowl wins (0-2).

Overall record is 16-10.

And...on the eve of a conference move? Seems like a very risky move, and why? BV demanding it or threatening to walk?

If OU goes 6-6 this year, folks are going to question that extension for sure; then comes pressure and drama. All unneccessary. If BV goes 9-3 in the new conference, then sure, offer the extension.

Just seems unnecessary and risky (imo). But hey, its only money. Maybe OU has a ton of it to toss around like TA&M (firing Jimbo for 76 mil).

Agreed. Especially for a coach who has not brought a championship, or not even played for a championship (of any kind), and...including no bowl wins (0-2).

Overall record is 16-10.

And...on the eve of a conference move? Seems like a very risky move, and why? BV demanding it or threatening to walk?

If OU goes 6-6 this year, folks are going to question that extension for sure; then comes pressure and drama. All unneccessary. If BV goes 9-3 in the new conference, then sure, offer the extension.

Just seems unnecessary and risky (imo). But hey, its only money. Maybe OU has a ton of it to toss around like TA&M (firing Jimbo for 76 mil).
They don’t. They just hiked tuition.

Overall record is 16-10.

What, exactly, is the risk?

Please be specific. Thanks.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Attending OU for my Masters, have developed a bit of a soft spot for them. That said, I just don't see Venables ever being the guy that a lot of their fans think he is.

By and large, OU fans were incredibly spoiled with the Bob Stoops tenure. Many have completely memory-holed that they were calling for his job before Lincoln Riley joined as OC and arguably saved them from a major fall.

OU fans are very impatient, and it will only take a couple SEC-flavored drubbings for them to turn on Venables and completely forget the narrative that they felt like he was an upgrade over Lincoln Riley. Their last 5 games include Alabama, @ole Miss, @Missouri, @LSU and that could be a disastrous stretch.

If Sherrone Moore manages to do better against Texas this year, don't be surprised if OU fans start chanting his name.

Reactions: huskerj12

It seems like at some point, something has got to give. Boosters are being asked to give more and more and more. The mega wealth that is out there is staggering I guess. And I suppose all of this money that boosters pay out for coaches, players and "needed" facilities is tax deductible as "charity" or a "business expense". Hardy har har!

It seems like at some point, something has got to give. Boosters are being asked to give more and more and more. The mega wealth that is out there is staggering I guess. And I suppose all of this money that boosters pay out for coaches, players and "needed" facilities is tax deductible as "charity" or a "business expense". Hardy har har!
I think for the "common fan" it does! I don't give a dime to the school in terms of donations and I never would.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT