ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer talks about dominant Iowa OL

0026304-suvn-1280x720.jpg

Teams that are dominant at the Los usually go a long way into the championship season. This is exactly why we have screwed the pooch this century.

The LOS is literally the first thing I watch during the first few possessions of both teams when I watch a game. My eyes are glued to see if I can detect who has the advantage. If one team's defense is in the backfield early you can predict the winner of the game pretty early. Check Neb's bowl game last year against Tenn. You could tell the game would get out of hand by the end of first two possessions.

Another note: I was embarrassed watching OT vs NW last week when their OL methodically threw us into our own end zone. Had they never attempted a pass in the game it would have never made it to OT.

Iowa's OL has NOT been dominant all year until that game, and for some reason it fell into place for that day.
Iowa has 2 freshman playing the tackle spots, which bodes well for the future, but has been a little spotty up until last week.

You are correct the OL has not been dominant with only 19 yards rushing against MSU. Injuries have riddled the line and the starting line up has changed frequently. The line seems to be coming together now however. I think Kirk has only once before started a true freshman on the OL.

You are correct the OL has not been dominant with only 19 yards rushing against MSU. Injuries have riddled the line and the starting line up has changed frequently. The line seems to be coming together now however. I think Kirk has only once before started a true freshman on the OL.
And that would have been Bulaga. It's been a frustrating year but then again, Iowa could just as easily be undefeated right now. Hoping for good things in Madison from my Hawks but not expecting them as Wiscy knows how to win and has a great coach.

Apparently Iowa can "coach up" young olinemen. Cav and this staff can't. That alone is a good reason to fire Riley and get someone that will.
Our freshmen playing on the O line might disagree with you about Cav but no doubt our O line has struggled.

Look how skinny Gates arms are? He could’ve been an All American under the right coaching here..

OSU was the first team we played that lined up and thought they could just beat us.(They were wrong) everyone else has been stacking the box and crashing down on our run game, making 5 guys block 8 guys often. Stanley has now showed enough that teams moving forward will have to respect the pass a little bit and it will free up the run game. Iowa traditionally runs to set up the pass and runs like 60% on first downs. Against OSU we passed 60% on first downs and it kept lb and safeties on their heels a little bit. (Also, yes we have 2 freshman tackles) (a red shirt freshman has started on the O-line at Iowa but this is the first time a true freshman has ever started. Also, their has never been a freshman of any sort at tackle)

There needs to be more accountability in the weight room for sure. What has Boyd been doing????? Hopefully we'll see a fiery, young OL coach when the new staff is announced.

Boyd isn't the strength coach, Mark Philipp is.

I know Philipp is the head strength coach but doesn't Boyd oversee the entire strength and conditioning program?

I don't think Boyd implements the football conditioning, which is separate, and he oversees all other athletics. Might do testing, which is why he said we were still very unathletic compared to the past.

Iowa's OL has NOT been dominant all year until that game, and for some reason it fell into place for that day.
Iowa has 2 freshman playing the tackle spots, which bodes well for the future, but has been a little spotty up until last week.

4 of 5 returned from last year's "Moore" award winning line. But yeah, injuries and such have made the O-line a work in progress. The 2 freshmen improve from week to week. One was a HS All-American. Wisky will likely test them more than O$U.

https://joemooreaward.com/press-release/2016/12/2016-joe-moore-award-winners

I don't think Boyd implements the football conditioning, which is separate, and he oversees all other athletics. Might do testing, which is why he said we were still very unathletic compared to the past.
I think he said that when Riley was first hired. Wonder what the hell has been going on since then?

I think he said that when Riley was first hired. Wonder what the hell has been going on since then?

I think Boyd is hands off the football program which is why we look like fat slobs. Then he tests them, and we test like fat slobs. Doubt these guys would be doing Boyd type mandated workouts. More ineffectual leadership guidelines at the highest level, which is why we suck.

4 of 5 returned from last year's "Moore" award winning line. But yeah, injuries and such have made the O-line a work in progress. The 2 freshmen improve from week to week. One was a HS All-American. Wisky will likely test them more than O$U.

https://joemooreaward.com/press-release/2016/12/2016-joe-moore-award-winners

I personally think Iowa would do better with more creative playacting at times. Like the NW game. You can always go sloberknocker football, but a little razzle dazzle at times goes along way to scoring touchdowns. Well done Iowa OL

I think Boyd is hands off the football program which is why we look like fat slobs. Then he tests them, and we test like fat slobs. Doubt these guys would be doing Boyd type mandated workouts. More ineffectual leadership guidelines at the highest level, which is why we suck.
Just inexcusable at Nebraska! We have some of the best facilities in the country and utilize the best technology. Just tells me there is no accountability with these guys. We do have talent but this OL must train like wussies and don't push themselves to perform at a championship level! This needs to change asap.

You wanna see "razzle dazzle". Google "lowa lone polecat". The information i have found says that play has not been executed succesfully in cfb in nearly 60 years. Brian Ferentz, like many sons, has alot of his father's traits but is very different than his father. In other words this isn't going to be a boring Iowa offense moving fwd. In previous games you could see what we were trying to do we were just a little off. Against OSU the offense hit on ALL cylinders.

Reactions: 9and4
You wanna see "razzle dazzle". Google "lowa lone polecat". The information i have found says that play has not been executed succesfully in cfb in nearly 60 years. Brian Ferentz, like many sons, has alot of his father's traits but is very different than his father. In other words this isn't going to be a boring Iowa offense moving fwd. In previous games you could see what we were trying to do we were just a little off. Against OSU the offense hit on ALL cylinders.

Yea that's right. If you guys can implement some innovative offensive philosphopies, maybe recruit some more speed at the skill positions, Iowa could pick up a few more wins a year against The Boring B10.

Some games I watch Iowa, their offense just puts me to sleep, and the game is winnable.

Just inexcusable at Nebraska! We have some of the best facilities in the country and utilize the best technology. Just tells me there is no accountability with these guys. We do have talent but this OL must train like wussies and don't push themselves to perform at a championship level! This needs to change asap.

They look so under conditioned, it is pathetic. Shit man, I am an alcoholic and I can still push myself to failure with the free weights. Walk until I am ready to puke drenched in sweat. Then cocktails.

These guys look like they haven't seen a plyo in their lives and can barely squat down to pee.

Reactions: beatdahuskers
Yea that's right. If you guys can implement some innovative offensive philosphopies, maybe recruit some more speed at the skill positions, Iowa could pick up a few more wins a year against The Boring B10.

Some games I watch Iowa, their offense just puts me to sleep, and the game is winnable.

I guess I am not understanding what your saying. Translation?

Inexcusable is right. however facilities and access to technology is NO better than most of the B1G, top tier SEC, some ACC and Pac 12 and Big 12. What was once an advantage has been totally muted by TV money.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
I guess I am not understanding what your saying. Translation?

I think he means that if the Hawks just had a couple of more weapons on offense and traded in the Greg Davis/Brian Ferentz offense for a slightly larger phone booth, Iowa would look like national title contenders. Like they did last week.

From the perspective of a Nebraskan in IC, I'm really starting to enjoy watching the Hawks regardless of their offensive style — good human beings (except when BF calls the replay officials "c*cksuckers") and lots of homegrown upper Midwesterners who didn't necessarily camp with California QB gurus or spend their summers playing 7-on-7.

What to do, other than hope for future Iowa-Nebraska games that have something big on the line.

Go Big Red. Fight for Iowa.

Reactions: beatdahuskers
9-4 you seem to be waving towards being a hawk fan. Watch out it's a fun and slippery slope. ;) FWIW, as I'm sure you know, the talent being brought in with last year's class and over the next couple is a major upgrade for our staff. Enjoy Iowa city. Go hawks and this week GO HUSKERS, SMASH THEM RODENTS.

Reactions: 9and4
The Iowa/Wisconsin > Nebraska comparison is so apt these days, but I'm afraid that we Nebraska fans have gotten too caught up in "we're better than that" to really appreciate what both schools have done, though you have to admit Wisconsin has done it a little better than Iowa.

For example, why is Josey Jewell so good and Chris Weber is, well, Chris Weber? Nothing against the walk-on, but Jewell (two-star from beautiful Decorah) wasn't much more highly regarded, and now he's an all-conference player.

Nate Stanley's a Wisconsin boy who is working within the system and quietly having one of the best seasons in Iowa QB history. We have, by all accounts, a good human being playing QB, but his numbers aren't close to what Stanley has done with arguably fewer weapons at his disposal.

About those weapons. Two-star Akrum Wadley vs. our more highly rated RBs. Noah Fant in his second year is turning into a real game breaker. Jack Stoll? David Engelhaupt? Not so much.

Don't even get us started on the offensive line, or lack thereof.

Josh Jackson was a two-star DB out of high school who now may be the first DB taken in the draft, a near-cinch all-conference player. Nebraska's DB recruits that same year were Kieron Williams, Josh Kalu and Chris Jones. Not bad, but not Josh Jackson.

We tend to look at Iowa and say "yeah, but they're only 6-3, and we aspire to more than that." And just because Iowa has won more than eight games only three times in the past 12 years doesn't diminish the fact that they have done well with a commitment to playing physically, using homegrown players to form the nucleus of their teams, and having consistency in the coaching staff, which translates to relative consistency on the field.

As a Nebraska fan, I think we can ultimately do better than that because we have a still-within-memory tradition of excellence and an entire state willing to sacrifice a testicle (figuratively, of course) in order to make it happen. But it will come down to those three things I noted earlier:
  • Playing physical, heartland football
  • Using as many Midwesterners as possible to do so, supplemented and complemented by players from elsewhere, such as Jackson and Wadley, AND
  • Creating consistency in coaching (and correspondingly in philosophy) with a head coach who wants to be here and won't tell the fans to f*ck off.
It seems so simple, yet we continue veer off course, making three consecutive poor hires after getting rid of a guy who embodied all three of the aforementioned traits.

The Huskers can and will come back. But I'm glad I'm old enough to remember all five of our national titles. I'm not so old as to remember the 1958 Hawkeye squad, though.

Peace out, Hawks.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Poor ol Cavanaugh can't even win the "waist" line of scrimmage.
Still dont lay the blame for this OL at the feet of Cavs. Bo/Barny left nothing for him to work with. I could care less these are 4* lineman because I see little talent on the OL for us.

Look, from the perspective of outside the Midwest, Iowa and Nebraska a bunch of corn hicks.

The guy who hates Florida because his girlfriend dumped him or job phucked him or whatever, good points.

If Iowa went a little multiple and mixed it up...

Of course, they’ll screw it up. Because they’re Iowa.

GBR

Still dont lay the blame for this OL at the feet of Cavs. Bo/Barny left nothing for him to work with. I could care less these are 4* lineman because I see little talent on the OL for us.

Our OL development has been atrocious since Solich.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT